Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 04:45 PM

14 posts, read 51,751 times

Advertisements

I am a software engineering researcher and my wife and I moved down here last November, once I got my job. We figured this area has a great job market (especially compared to NE Ohio where we were before) that it would be no problem getting a job for her and didnt really worry too much about it.

Now after almost 1 year my wife, a masters in mechanical engineering, has not been able to get a job yet. It seems all the ME jobs in this area are manufacturing engineering jobs, not really design and development. She is more of a fluids and thermo person (worked for years at an aero firm doing aircraft research and design) and very not interested in plastics and other forms of manufacturing.

Basically does anyone know of any non manufacturing oriented ME companies, maybe even in more of an aerospace/fluids kind of field? And has this kind of thing happened to others moving to the area?

She's getting pretty frustrated, and I would have to have to leave the area, we do really love it here so far.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 05:42 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Too bad your wife wasn't a software engineer. We're so desperate that our HR dept is actually making videos to post on Monster etc.

My wife and I have been here since mid-July 2006 and she still hasn't found a job that she likes. She's an occupational therapist. She did a 3-month contract position at a senior home. . . .hated it but the money was great. Now she's working part time 12 hours per week at a company. The job is OK, not what she wants to do, but at least it's in her line of work.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:38 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Didn't I hear somewhere that Honda Jet is creating a facility in Greensboro? Try here: http://hondajet.honda.com/careers/index.aspx?bhcp=1 (broken link)

Background:
Honda Aircraft Company to Establish World Headquarters and Production Facility in Greensboro, North Carolina - Honda - Press Releases - Selected Story

It's a reasonable commute from the Western Triangle.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Too bad your wife wasn't a software engineer. We're so desperate that our HR dept is actually making videos to post on Monster etc.
Everything I know about the engineering world is second hand info but it seems like the OP's wife should re-tool her skills.

A good friend of mine holds a masters degree in mechanical engineering and was unable to find suitable employment in the Triangle. He went back to school and earned a bachelors in electrical engineering and a masters in software engineering. It was a lot of work but he is now a project manager for a software company and he makes a lot of coin.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:00 AM

22 posts, read 65,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise944 View Post
I am a software engineering researcher and my wife and I moved down here last November, once I got my job. We figured this area has a great job market (especially compared to NE Ohio where we were before) that it would be no problem getting a job for her and didnt really worry too much about it.

Now after almost 1 year my wife, a masters in mechanical engineering, has not been able to get a job yet. It seems all the ME jobs in this area are manufacturing engineering jobs, not really design and development. She is more of a fluids and thermo person (worked for years at an aero firm doing aircraft research and design) and very not interested in plastics and other forms of manufacturing.

Basically does anyone know of any non manufacturing oriented ME companies, maybe even in more of an aerospace/fluids kind of field? And has this kind of thing happened to others moving to the area?

She's getting pretty frustrated, and I would have to have to leave the area, we do really love it here so far.

Thanks for the help!
Has she tried going thru a recruiter? I wouldn't rely on monster.com or on trying to do it all yourself. Also I'm confused, I am an ME as well and my search shows up more jobs in HVAC than plastics design. Maybe your wife should just take the PE exam & get licensed. With her masters degree, fluids background, PE state license & HVAC targeted jobs you might do much better. Also, now you've got me worried about finding a job myself. I have more machine design background & a bachelors degree in ME. So the manufacturing/plastics thing is right down my alley. But like I said, that area seems to be swimming in HVAC jobs. I'm most likely not moving down there until I get a job 1st. Please let me know how you make out.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:38 AM

14 posts, read 51,751 times
Thanks all for the replies so far. We will definately check out the Honda Jet option, although it may be a long commute from Cary where we live now.

She uses computers for her work, but really has no interest in being a software developer. Shes much more into math, models, and product design work and likes much more hands on work then coding.

As for HVAC, that may be an option, but her experience isnt in that field currently, so she hasnt really gotten any replies to those posts.

Its amazing how the market is good, as long as you 5 or more years doing the exact job that your applying to. Otherwise, the HR or online apps/recruiters ignore you it seems.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM

445 posts, read 1,859,419 times
Default Mechanical Engineer

You might want to check and see what Progress Energy has available on their website. Progress Energy routinely looks for engineers, including Mechanical. Mainly as either design or system engineers of fluid systems. I know it's not aircraft but it's not manufacturing. I know the corporate office has at least two mechnical engineering positions opening soon. One is for an Engineering to coordinate efforts for maintaining and testing of air operated and motor operated valves. Might be worth a look.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 AM

166 posts, read 664,154 times
My husband had great success using a recruiter. Kelly IT, Addecco, Manpower Technical, Robert Half Technology are all possibly good places to start. Many companies will hire you first on a contract, like 3-6 months before they will offer you a permanent position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary