Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:14 PM

65 posts, read 267,122 times

Advertisements

i was just wondering if there were any new people to the area that moved down with out a job?? If so, what did you do? How and did you find a job? Did you just settle on anything that came your way? Is it possible to find that job that you desire and how long do you give yourself to find a job in a new area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM

64 posts, read 364,692 times
Good luck. We're doing the same thing.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:36 PM

161 posts, read 559,026 times
I did and I highly don't recommend it!

Really it depends on the job, industry, and salary range. I am in marketing with a background in consumer products and cosmetics. There is nothing here for me, and in all liklihood I will be returning back to the northeast as a result. I have been looking since January, and although there were a couple promising opportunities, they did not pan out.

Salaries here are lower. In my case I was looking at a potential 40%-50% paycut! I expected a paycut, but not that deep!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 PM

104 posts, read 403,172 times
Both my husband and I moved here without jobs. My husband had 2 offers within the first week and I'm still working on getting a job. I'm a Elementary Teacher so I have the summer to find a job. Would I relocate without a job again? Probably not.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
Here are some more posts on this topic you might find of interest....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...thout-job.html

Old 06-18-2007, 06:19 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni007 View Post
i was just wondering if there were any new people to the area that moved down with out a job?? If so, what did you do? How and did you find a job? Did you just settle on anything that came your way? Is it possible to find that job that you desire and how long do you give yourself to find a job in a new area?
I think it would be better to ask why would you relocate with out a job? Knowing this state is growing and there is higher competition as well as lower wages! Home prices in areas are already pricing out transplants to extended cheaper areas. Taxes will increase and over all the whole nc experience will cost more! Why risk your Q of life just because every one else is moving. I think its a bad idea and I would have the twitches and cold sweats risking my families well being with out having solid employment ,anywhere. And I think this job market is tougher then alot think it is.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 PM

64 posts, read 364,692 times
ZoeMaui,
Where did you end up finding housing? We want something temporary to rent until we do find jobs in the area. Any recommendations?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:49 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
And I think this job market is tougher then alot think it is.
Absolutely it is. North Carolina isn't the Gold rush. Yes, there's biotech companies and IT companies but there's also three top class universities in the area that you'll be competing with for these jobs.

Unless you are a teacher I would predict that its pretty damn hard to find a decent job in NC unless you have a good network of contacts.

I wish you the best of luck but I think anyone coming to NC without a job must have a lot of savings or be completely mad.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 PM

709 posts, read 934,960 times
That is if you are a math or special education or science teacher. Other than that there are close to 100 applicants for every 10 jobs.

Good luck.

Oh starting salary is 34K after 10 years you make 44K

Hard to live on that since they take out 7% for your teacher pension off the top!

Talk to some of the new teachers down here they are working 2 or 3 jobs. Heck most are SUBSTITUTE teaching during the summer at the year round schools!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:35 PM

351 posts, read 1,068,900 times
Related Article:

newsobserver.com | Job or no job (http://www.newsobserver.com/126/story/564421.html - broken link)

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 06-18-2007 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary