Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 11:53 AM

54 posts, read 127,484 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm in the area for a while, probably re-locating here in September, and I'm involved in promoting an event that will be of interest to Triangle dwellers (in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Raliegh, AND Durham).

Could residents/locals of each of these areas let me know, where would YOU post a flier if you wanted a lot of people in your town to see it?

I've seen some bulletin-board-type-things along Franklin in Chapel Hill. But are there places on the UNC and Duke campuses that everyone looks at the stuff hanging up?

What about cafes? Grocery stores? Record stores? Other businesses?

Or do you all use Craigslist or other online communities to find local events?

I'm totally curious because every city is different. I'd love your help to maximize exposure for my event (it's a well-being and yoga retreat in Italy next spring!!).

Thanks a million for sharing your insight!
Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,136 times
Elmo's Diner on 9th st in Durham, Franchesca's on 9th st in Durham
Breadman's Resturant on Rosemary St in Chapel Hill, Elmo's Diner at Carr Mill Mall in Carrboro all have community boards. I think Open Eye Cafe in Carrboro has one too.
An ad in the Independant also would reach many many people. Independent Weekly

Couldnt you post the info here too?

Old 07-16-2011, 01:44 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Almost all of the community events I learn about come to me from some sort of online source (facebook / twitter/ blogs).

Posting event fliers in coffee shops and retail windows certainly can't hurt, but these days nothing beats the exposure you get online.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 AM

794 posts, read 1,325,263 times
I've seen flyers posted in the local library, starbucks and occasionally a grocery store.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I check out North_Raleigh_Guy on Facebook! He seems to know what to do, where to go and how to get there!!!

There are a few other websites that you can find by googling "Raleigh" and "365 Things To Do In Raleigh" and "Carolina Parent".

Vicki

Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 PM

54 posts, read 127,484 times
Great ideas everyone, thanks!

I had thought online would be the way to go, but since I was not connected to the local community yet, I didn't know where to turn.

As for posting the info here on City Data, I suppose I could do that once the details are ironed out.

Thanks again for your responses!!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,620 times
I guess it also depends who your audience is. Families? Singles? Students? Older people or younger people? All the 20 year olds I know say "I never read flyers...I only respond to twitter" and I am 50, and agree that social media is where I get a lot of my info...but I get it from organizations or boards for things I am interested in. I can not imagine reading a flyer at the library or on the street, etc.

I would think about who your audience is and think about where they hang out, and then use the type of media to get that audience.

If you are looking for a general audience (i.e. for a money making/marketing seminar or something) then I am no help on that.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,947 times
ok, so I was all set to go post flyers around town, and now I see I need the info on how to advertise my two services online...one is math tutoring, the other is selling jewelry.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:36 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
If targeting students, Duke has lots of spots on campus, indoors and outdoors for flyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary