Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 AM

448 posts, read 851,675 times

Advertisements

I think it is also just timing. I moved here two weeks ago, I have several interviews but haven't received a call back yet. My girlfriend moved here from AZ, on the way here at a hotel, she applied for a kindergarten position for the track that started Monday, she had an interview and got the job on the spot. Keep looking and try not to get discouraged. Be open to other districts than just Wake County. I live in Johnston County but interviewed for a position in Chapel-Hill. Yes, it would be a hike but it is a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 AM

475 posts, read 1,305,136 times
I teach high school in a smaller county just north of Raleigh, we hire new people every year. I just checked my county website and they have multiple positions posted. Please feel free to PM and I can give you the names of the schools hiring.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM

26 posts, read 32,402 times
I just moved here because when I went to the hiring fair, many principals asked me when I'd be moving here and told me it'd be easier if I lived here. I've only been here 2 weeks, but no calls yet-and I am certified in a couple areas, incl. special ed! On the other hand, one of my former Co-teachers is still back in WI, just got hired in Wake Co. last week and is moving down next month. It's hard to say.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,765 times
When I moved her 5 yrs ago, I tallked to so many people that went to the job fairs in both Wake and Johnston County...they all said the Wake County one was insanity because it was "the" place to get a job (a bit more money and more prestige than outlying counties)....they all had to get in line for the job fair hours before it started and still only got to talk to a few(if any principals)..and did not get offered a job.
However, with the mess that Wake County is in as far as schools/bussing etc...I don't think it is as desirable anymore to be a teacher there compared with other counties. JMO.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:58 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
What difference would it make to the teachers how the kids get to the schools?

Quote:
However, with the mess that Wake County is in as far as schools/bussing etc...I don't think it is as desirable anymore to be a teacher there compared with other counties. JMO.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomovetonc View Post
I have done everything including getting my licensure.

What does it take to get a teaching job in Wake County? I've done everything outside of carrier pigeon and smoke signals.

What am I doing wrong?
I am not trying to be mean or a smart alec but it may well be not what you are doing but what you have done. Recommendations, grades, undergraduate program, graduate program, Praxis scores, Certification, previous interviews, writing samples etc etc are all part of the profile you are being compared to other candidates based on. Even with a carrier pigeon and smoke signals the history is going to be the same. As others have said this is a tight market and Wake is either at the top or close to the top when it comes to pecking order in the state for the top candidates. Wake as a top notch district to work in has colleges and universities that they prefer graduates of. This is based on hiring history and quality of their teacher education programs. Go to as many job fairs as you can both here, there and everywhere. You may at one of them meet the right person who can help move you along. Substituting and doing a top notch job can get you noticed by school based administrators and that can be a significant boost for you. On the other hand subbing and doing anything less than stellar can be a big risk.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quit trying to get a job only in Wake. Try the surrounding counties. Seriously.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
What does that have to do with teaching here???

Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What does that have to do with teaching here???
Classroom teachers are directly impacted by student enrollment patterns and the resulting population at their school. Just think of teaching in what was a magnet school that becomes a neighborhood with many of the top achieivings student leaving and being replaced with the neighborhood populaton what ever that is. Student assignment policy as has been noted in the forum here can impact course selection and most importantyl for a classroom teacher their assignment. It can increase or decrease their number of above average classes and likewise below average classes. It can be traumatic on them as it will impact how and what they do on a daily basis. Certainly the pressures teaching at a high achieving vs under performing schools can bring different challenges, scrutiny, prestige and stress.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
^^^ While all of the above is true, as the surrounding counties grow they will be faced with growing pains too. For the most part, I seriously doubt teachers here have that much trouble year over year. They also have a transfer opportunity every year and if a position is open at a school they want to go to, they are pretty much guaranteed that spot. You don't hear much about that because most probably choose the devil they know.... and if most people wanted to live in the boonies (which the surrounding counties still are to many out-of-staters) they'd be looking there in the first place. You have an educated populace in place here, for the most part - and the kids are probably, for the most part, fairly easy to teach.

Plus from what I hear these issues with wcpss are getting to be long standing and we're still hearing about people who can't land a job. I don't think we are in any danger of losing good teaching candidates to other areas any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary