Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,571 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Georgia!
I, like many others I’ve seen in the forum am desperately hoping to move to the Apex/Carey area within the near future. My husband and I live as residential managers and have discovered our company is being sold off and we are therefore looking for new jobs as well as a new home. I recently graduated with my BA in human resources. I’ve been applying like mad to any and all entry level HR jobs I can find and have been pleasantly surprised to find that there are a lot in the Triangle region. I’m a little nervous about how the hiring process may go.
I was wondering if some of you who have relocated to the area can shed some light on how organizations in the area typically handle the hiring process for those out of state. Do they require you fly in for an in-person interview or do they perform phone/web interviews? Also, do you think it places me at a less advantage being out of state? Would rather postpone our move until I have a job secure. Any suggestions or input would be great,
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
The challenges facing out-of-state job hunters has been discussed in numerous threads here. The bottom line is that yes, it's more difficult to land a job from afar. The simplest reason is that it's a buyer's market for jobs. Employers have plenty of local candidates, and many don't want to gamble on a promised relocation (and delay) by someone who doesn't currently live here.

It's not impossible, it's just more difficult.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Also, HR people are pretty much a dime a dozen here.

Just something to consider. Apply, and I wish you well. I just think it doesn't hurt to be VERY realistic.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 PM

149 posts, read 197,223 times
Trying to find a job when you are here can be extremely difficult. It's far worse when you are not here. There just isn't much of an incentive for an employer to waste their time on out of state candidates.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Also, HR people are pretty much a dime a dozen here.
Not the good ones. We just hired one and went out of state to find a good candidate.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Not the good ones. We just hired one and went out of state to find a good candidate.
Wow. That's tough. I dunno why that would be. HR has never been a field that struck me as excessively challenging or requiring advanced skills and education.

Unless someone really isn't a people person and needs to learn how to communicate, of course.

This might well be because all my experience with HR people has lead me to believe that the majority of them are jerks. But, I see this may be because all the local HR folk are woefully under qualified and therefore over their heads.
OP? I stand corrected. Apply with reckless abandon.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:01 PM

79 posts, read 142,899 times
I decided the Raleigh area was where I wanted to be about 3 years ago. I was living in CT, and faced the same questions about the best way to go about it. There was some trial and error in my efforts - using an NC friend's address/phone number in my resume was a failure. As you could guess, most people don't like feeling like they're being duped! I didn't feel great about that path anyway, so I quickly abandoned it.

After testing out some different variations in my cover letters, I landed on a way that was very effective for me in getting responses - show confidence and determination. Here's an example of the closing I used that was successful - AFTER I responded bullet point by bullet point to the specific job description for why my skill set would benefit the company.

"I am currently living/working in Connecticut, but am relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area, and I'm anxious to speak with you about this opportunity - from the job description, it seems like it would be a great match." Sometimes I'd also state that I wasn't seeking relocation expenses, and could start work in 2 weeks - as those are a couple of the main concerns of HR reps for out-of-state applicants. On phone calls, I would repeat the message - "After a lot of research, I've decided the Raleigh area is where I'd like to raise my family. I'll be moving down soon, and I'm exploring different job opportunities to find the best fit for me. Your company seems like it could be a great match, and I'm confident I could do X, Y, and Z for you" - and move the conversation from location questions to how you can help the company move forward.

Another tip I'd stress - cover letters are key, and every one you send should be customized for the specific job your applying for! Most job postings are in bullet point format. I tailored every cover letter, responding to the requirements in bullet point format, bolding key terms, for ease of reading. As HR reps get hundreds of resumes for most openings, you have to find a way to stand out quickly! In my opinion, it's better to send out 1 customized cover letter/resume, than to blast a stock resume to 20 companies.

Just my two cents, as it worked for me. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoooHooo! View Post
I decided the Raleigh area was where I wanted to be about 3 years ago. I was living in CT, and faced the same questions about the best way to go about it. There was some trial and error in my efforts - using an NC friend's address/phone number in my resume was a failure. As you could guess, most people don't like feeling like they're being duped! I didn't feel great about that path anyway, so I quickly abandoned it.

After testing out some different variations in my cover letters, I landed on a way that was very effective for me in getting responses - show confidence and determination. Here's an example of the closing I used that was successful - AFTER I responded bullet point by bullet point to the specific job description for why my skill set would benefit the company.

"I am currently living/working in Connecticut, but am relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area, and I'm anxious to speak with you about this opportunity - from the job description, it seems like it would be a great match." Sometimes I'd also state that I wasn't seeking relocation expenses, and could start work in 2 weeks - as those are a couple of the main concerns of HR reps for out-of-state applicants. On phone calls, I would repeat the message - "After a lot of research, I've decided the Raleigh area is where I'd like to raise my family. I'll be moving down soon, and I'm exploring different job opportunities to find the best fit for me. Your company seems like it could be a great match, and I'm confident I could do X, Y, and Z for you" - and move the conversation from location questions to how you can help the company move forward.

Another tip I'd stress - cover letters are key, and every one you send should be customized for the specific job your applying for! Most job postings are in bullet point format. I tailored every cover letter, responding to the requirements in bullet point format, bolding key terms, for ease of reading. As HR reps get hundreds of resumes for most openings, you have to find a way to stand out quickly! In my opinion, it's better to send out 1 customized cover letter/resume, than to blast a stock resume to 20 companies.

Gotta love positive posts like these. When you talk about jobs on this board 95% of the people will just throw negative things at you. HR people are a dime a dozen, job market is tough, it's impossible to find a job. Seriously? Unfortunately that's the general mindset for most people in America. They focus on the negative of everything.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 AM

310 posts, read 575,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoooHooo! View Post

Yep, that's pretty much what worked for me. State that you are moving here, not that you want to move here. Being in HR I'm sure you know the value of a well crafted cover letter, as well as customizing the resume to highlight what they are looking for.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day_Dreamer87 View Post
I was wondering if some of you who have relocated to the area can shed some light on how organizations in the area typically handle the hiring process for those out of state. Do they require you fly in for an in-person interview or do they perform phone/web interviews? Also, do you think it places me at a less advantage being out of state? Would rather postpone our move until I have a job secure. Any suggestions or input would be great,
Thanks!
My husband is in IT, not HR, so take this for what that is worth. I realize different industries & companies each hae their own approach.

He used a placement company (Robert Half) to help with getting his resume & name out in this area.
He talked with them to start, got help fine tuning his resume, and a few tips for interviewing (had been many years since his last interview).
The company that hired him did 2 phone interviews. The final one was in person.
For us it worked fine since we had planned a trip to the area anyway to check it out & see if it was really going to be a good fit for us.

He was asked to start in two weeks, we countered with three (partly due to a holiday that fell in those two weeks & partly to give us time to find/move him into a small appartment). They were fine with three weeks. Not sure if they would have accepted any more than that though.

You didn't mention where in Georgia you are, but it may be a days drive, so if you can line up Monday interviews could be possible? I know it would be a long weekend & a lot of miles, but be willing to make the effort, it could be the difference in getting/not a job.

Also, save every reciept & track every mile you drive for the relocation process. You will probably qualify for a tax discount. Double check, but I believe if you are moving over 100 mile (or maybe it was 500?), had lost your job (which is sounds like) and there were some other things I can't remember. In hind site we tossed a lot of reciepts that we could have used so save everything & let your tax accountant sort it out.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary