Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

The only thing I think Cary may be more strict about are businesses related (sign ordinances, exterior facades, and zoning regulations, although that's not an area I'm an expert in), but not the lives of private citizens. I live my life the same way in Cary as I did when I lived in Raleigh. I really see no difference.

Last edited by lamishra; 07-25-2012 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
So y'all wouldn't agree with the statement that the town of Cary governs more on the residents compared to other towns just outside of Raleigh such as Apex, Holly Springs, Garner, Clayton, Knightdale, Wake Forest, and Morrisville?
I would also disagree strongly - I know that Apex is just as strict as Cary on many things - especially signage! HOA's would be the same in both towns with regard to house colors. Also, Apex doesn't let children play in the street, but Cary does!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I would also disagree strongly - I know that Apex is just as strict as Cary on many things - especially signage! HOA's would be the same in both towns with regard to house colors. Also, Apex doesn't let children play in the street, but Cary does!
And Apex doesn't allow chickens! And Cary does!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM

294 posts, read 829,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I think most people who live in Unincorporated Wake County would disagree with you.
Stricter regulations on signs, pets, fences, building, parking .....
Never had a problem with the Town of Cary (actually think highly of the town). I have had SILLY problems with my HOA consisting of recently relocated NJ/NY types though......

To the OP, any town/city in this area is friendly and great to live in.

Happy move from Los Vegis (sic on purpose) :-)

Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The only thing I think Cary may be more strict about are businesses related (sign ordinances, exterior facades, and zoning regulations, although that's not an area I'm an expert in), but not the lives of private citizens. I live my life the same way in Cary as I did when I lived in Raleigh. I really see no difference.
This "reputation" that Cary got came about from a time (1990s, I'm thinking?) when it was in the news for one "ridiculously overreaching ordinance" or another, regarding signage, what colors were allowed, etc. Typical of TV news, the local stations would manage to find someone in Cary who had been told they couldn't paint their mailbox a certain color (almost certainly a HOW thing, not town) but people began associating Cary with "they tell you how to wipe your, um, nose" sorts of laws. It actually has been many years since I've heard "those stories" about Cary, but the image persists.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
This "reputation" that Cary got came about from a time (1990s, I'm thinking?) when it was in the news for one "ridiculously overreaching ordinance" or another, regarding signage, what colors were allowed, etc. Typical of TV news, the local stations would manage to find someone in Cary who had been told they couldn't paint their mailbox a certain color (almost certainly a HOW thing, not town) but people began associating Cary with "they tell you how to wipe your, um, nose" sorts of laws. It actually has been many years since I've heard "those stories" about Cary, but the image persists.
Hypothetically speaking, of course, one guy probably got "screwed by the town of Cary", and it got plastered all over the news and internet. Sounds crazy, but it can happen

I also moved here about a year ago, and was really worried because of the bad rap. I can not possibly be happier, and am certain that the stereotype does not fit. As recently as this week, I had a friend over who was all excited to tell me how bad Cary was. We went for an hour walk on greenways and neighborhoods, and she too is a convert.

It's a great place to live, with excellent diversity, lots of local restaurants and shops, and nice people. But SSSShhhhh, don't tell everyone. Before you know it a bunch of Yankees will want to relocate here...

Old 07-25-2012, 12:33 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
I remember when there was a big hubbub when Talbot's opened, and Cary denied them their red door, but then the denial got overturned. The denial got lots of press, Cary backing down on the denial not so much!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I remember when there was a big hubbub when Talbot's opened, and Cary denied them their red door, but then the denial got overturned. The denial got lots of press, Cary backing down on the denial not so much!
This is what seems to be the norm in Cary. They have standards in order to keep the town nice. When residents say they think the standard is unreasonable/unnecessary (i.e. Talbots red door, chickens, 2 dog limit that got overturned) Cary listens and changes its policies to reflect the needs/desires of the citizens. I think it's a great system!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM

621 posts, read 2,219,061 times
To me, Cary is like any other suburb town/city... don't mess with it and it won't mess with you I like it here.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM

149 posts, read 197,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
It's actually HOA - Home Owner's Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary