Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:11 PM

48 posts, read 117,806 times

Advertisements

We moved to Durham from Texas a couple months ago and love it here. However we are looking, with increasing desperation, for breakfast tacos. Not those crazy giant burritos in store-packaged flour tortillas, but real breakfast tacos, sold at like $1.50 each and scarfed in twos and threes with a strong cup of coffee. Fresh tortillas, delicious eggs and beans and meat, maybe a nice green salsa....is it hopeless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
One of the taqueria near my house sells them so I'm sure ones in Durham must have them. I have noticed the taqueria on S Alston across from the BP station seems to be open in the morning so maybe try there.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 PM

216 posts, read 539,348 times
Good luck. We moved to NC from Albuquerque, NM. The mexican food here...not the same. The 1 (and only) thing we miss about living in NM!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Oh man. I miss migas. Some nice freshly made flour tortillas. . . . some scrambled eggs with a little chorizo. . . some avocado. . . . you've got my hungry now. I was just telling my wife the other day that I really miss Sunday brunch at Blue Mesa in Addison TX.

As others have said. . . .good luck.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 PM

12 posts, read 17,753 times
I miss carolinas in AZ. Ah well, lol. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 AM

Something is amiss with their website so I can't link it, but check out the brunch that Dos Taquitos Centro does on Saturdays in downtown Raleigh. It's been awhile since I've gone but I remember it being tasty stuff.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
There's probably three dozen tacquerias in Durham, do a little exploring, I'm sure at least a couple of them can satisfy your needs. There's a dozen on Roxborro alone, I'm a big fan of Super Tacqueria. Never checked if they do breakfast.

For those who whine about the "lack of authentic mexican" in this area, I suspect it is due to the lack of 4th generation restaurant owners who have learned how to create a cuisine that fits the palate of suburbanites who want "authentic mexican".

Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM

Are breakfast tacos even a thing in Mexico? I always kind of thought it was some sort of Tex Mex creation. If they eat them in Mexico I'm sure somewhere around here serves them considering we have a Mexican population large enough to support our own Mexican Consulate.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
For those who whine about the "lack of authentic mexican" in this area, I suspect it is due to the lack of 4th generation restaurant owners who have learned how to create a cuisine that fits the palate of suburbanites who want "authentic mexican".
I never saw the word "authentic" used in this thread, until you mentioned it

Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Are breakfast tacos even a thing in Mexico? I always kind of thought it was some sort of Tex Mex creation.
Agreed. Tex-Mex. From Wikipedia. . .

In Tex-Mex cuisine, migas are a traditional breakfast dish consisting of scrambled eggs mixed with strips of corn tortilla; the meatless version includes diced onions, sliced chile peppers, diced fresh tomatoes, and cheese, plus various spices and condiments (e.g. salsa or pico de gallo). Migas are typically served with refried beans, and corn or flour tortillas are used to enfold all of the ingredients into tacos. In some areas, it may have been traditionally eaten during Lent.[6] The meat version adds a spicy chorizo to the standard ingredients. The tortilla strips can also be deep-fried until crunchy (not traditional).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary