Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 AM

152 posts, read 366,832 times

Advertisements

Hey cheapdad00, I am thinking that the law trumps any CCRs that the HOA may be following.

I just got back from Las Vegas and one of my old properties had a rather large system installed on the south facing roofline. This happened to be on the street facing side of the house and the panels were very evident. I asked a developer (Del Webb) who is still building new homes in Mesquite, NV and was told they can not restrict photocell or water heating systems in their neighborhoods because of Nevada state law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:17 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,923,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
Hey cheapdad00, I am thinking that the law trumps any CCRs that the HOA may be following.

I just got back from Las Vegas and one of my old properties had a rather large system installed on the south facing roofline. This happened to be on the street facing side of the house and the panels were very evident. I asked a developer (Del Webb) who is still building new homes in Mesquite, NV and was told they can not restrict photocell or water heating systems in their neighborhoods because of Nevada state law.
I agree with you, but how many hard-core HOAs will try to enforce rules they are not legally permitted to, and how many homeowners will want to go through the trouble or time to sue or otherwise retain their rights rather than submitting to the HOA's will?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Very true. I am guessing however that most HOAs would not pursue any recourse if a system was installed without their approval as they would most assuredly lose any case brought forward. This is very similar to those small satellite dishes that once were prohibited by HOAs. The law was changed and no HOA approval was required after that.

This reminds me of getting ARC approval for landscaping. Most of my Vegas neighbors just went ahead and had their yards done the way they wanted and the ARC approval was an afterthought. Even though the ARC was required before construction no penalty was ever assessed.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban Dime View Post
Very true. I am guessing however that most HOAs would not pursue any recourse if a system was installed without their approval as they would most assuredly lose any case brought forward. This is very similar to those small satellite dishes that once were prohibited by HOAs. The law was changed and no HOA approval was required after that.

This reminds me of getting ARC approval for landscaping. Most of my Vegas neighbors just went ahead and had their yards done the way they wanted and the ARC approval was an afterthought. Even though the ARC was required before construction no penalty was ever assessed.
I'm with you there. But I get the feeling that a lot of people are scared to attempt such a project with even a 1% thought that maybe someone could make trouble for them down the road. I hope we see a lot more solar proliferation going forward. It's hard to deny the cents and sense it makes with all the incentives, except maybe if you don't plan to live in your house for very long.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Here is what I was able to find. Any new HOAs cannot ban solar panels, but for HOAs in existence prior to 12/1/2009, their guidelines are not forced to change. I am about a year out from doing anything in this space, so will monitor any installations in my neighborhood.

House Bill 1387 – Solar Collectors on Residential Properties

House Bill 1387 (Ch. SL 2009-553), signed into law on August 28, 2009, invalidates any new
restrictive covenants, created on or after December 1, 2009 that would prohibit the installation of
solar collector devices (solar panels, receptors for solar appliances, etc.) This law does not
apply to any existing restrictions contained in declarations prior to December 1, 2009, and it does not apply in any event to multi-story “stacked” condominiums.

The law is unchanged as it pertains to existing planned communities (a law was enacted two years ago providing that planned communities may restrict solar collectors, generally, only if they would be visible from areas of common or public access, such as a street or park area). Solar collectors generally must be allowed on the rear of the house or in the back yard if only visible from select neighbors’ property.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:36 AM

Came across this interesting read:

Advanced solar roof racking solutions mitigate PV system cost - FierceEnergy

Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I submitted my W-9 form and my final paperwork to PEC on Friday of last week, giving them 5-15 business days to swap the meter. At that point I then get SEM to come back out, turn it on, test it, and give me whatever info is necessary, then I should be solarified!
Is that a smart meter that allows them to regulate your usage or is it monitoring only?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Is that a smart meter that allows them to regulate your usage or is it monitoring only?
Monitoring only. I asked about smart meters but haven't heard back yet. Told them I'd be interested in beta testing. My wife and I both work from home so I don't want them managing my usage - only interested in data gathering and being able to manage my own usage instead.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:31 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Good luck on the smart meter. They upgraded to the digital meters at exactly the wrong time for us to get smart meters anytime in the next decade. I've asked also because I am interested, but so far not interested enough to spend the money on the TED Welcome to TED Homeowners! . you might be able to justify it RDUBiker though.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Good luck on the smart meter. They upgraded to the digital meters at exactly the wrong time for us to get smart meters anytime in the next decade. I've asked also because I am interested, but so far not interested enough to spend the money on the TED Welcome to TED Homeowners! . you might be able to justify it RDUBiker though.
I realize it probably won't happen, but doesn't hurt to ask. Too bad we're behind on meter tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary