Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 8,583 times

Advertisements

So the little lady and I have made the decision to pull up stakes in the Phoenix area. We were looking at Denver but she wants to be a little closer to home (PA). Since she has a friend that recently (June) moved to Durham and loves it, we have decided to make the move to the Raliegh-Durham area, once one or both of us find employment. I have scoured the forums and internet for info but still have a few more questions.

Me – Early 40’s white male - Job experience 20 years in non customer facing bank. Call Center, Collections, Operations Management . Currently working mortgages as QA. All of the open jobs for my current employer are in Charlotte, so I will need to find new employment. I am also working on my IT degree.

Are there any banking centers in the Durham Area? I have seen some job posting from Temp agencies but would rather get hired on directly.

She – Mid 30’s African American-Working in Medical Research She is pretty much set on her job searches.

No Kids (yet)

We plan on renting for at least the 1st year to scope things out. Which brings me to the first issue, pets? I have 2 boxers and she has 2 cats. Looking at the rental listings on Zillow I found only 2 places that accepted large dogs. We would prefer to rent a house or townhouse as opposed to an APT if possible. Anyone have ideas on specialty listings or agencies that specialize in pet owners?
Although we will be renting temporarily, we would like to live in an area that matches our lifestyle. We would like a diverse neighborhood, with maybe a walkable area with shops, restaurants and bars, and something close to outdoor spaces for hiking etc.

I was a bit apprehensive about moving to the “south”. But I am getting the impression the RDT “feels” less like the south as some would say. How are race relations and views on interracial couples? Also we are very progressive and would like to avoid being the only “lefty” in a neighborhood of rights. Diversity in viewpoints, culture and race is a positive however. I have read that CH is more progressive but I have the feeling we will need to be closer to Duke.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 04:09 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
Lefties and interracial couples are very welcome here . I used to live at The Trails of North Hills which are townhouse style apartments, and know for a fact they accepted large dogs. The place wasn't perfect, but we were happy enough there. Also, don't the animals belong to BOTH of you?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Major layoffs just announced by BofA in branches and mortgage areas.

Get set of jobs lined up before coming, one may do it if your needs are modest like mine.

My apt community has quite a few interracial couples and it is very diverse (North Raleigh).

Old 09-20-2012, 04:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaushD View Post
I was a bit apprehensive about moving to the “south”. But I am getting the impression the RDT “feels” less like the south as some would say.
No need to put "The South" in quotes. And no need to be apprehensive about moving here (why would you move anywhere if it bothered you and you were in a "take your pick" situation as it seems you are?) Believe it or not, things have changed in the past 150 years and--believe it or not--the South is not actually like The Beverly Hillbillies or "Honey Boo Boo", never mind full of the KKK as it seems you are worried about.

By "RDT" I presume you mean "Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill" or "the Research Triangle (RTP) area. RDT has no meaning here.

Yes, the Raleigh metro is much more urban and progressive, while still being Southern also in many ways. I presume you woudl come and visit before deciding 100% to move here anyway, right? See for yourself.

Quote:
How are race relations and views on interracial couples? Also we are very progressive and would like to avoid being the only “lefty” in a neighborhood of rights. Diversity in viewpoints, culture and race is a positive however. I have read that CH is more progressive but I have the feeling we will need to be closer to Duke.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Durham county is actually a little bit more "Blue" than Orange (Chapel Hill). Durham and Chapel Hill are truly the most liberal part of the state (not just "progressive", but liberal) so never fear. The whole Triangle area is very educated and open-minded as a general rule (yes, even being in "quote-unquote the South:eek") But you will see all of that when you come on a scoping expedition.

Though if you are looking for a banking job, Charlotte would be much better than Raleigh--have you ruled that out altogether? It's still close to PA.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Lefties and interracial couples are very welcome here . I used to live at The Trails of North Hills which are townhouse style apartments, and know for a fact they accepted large dogs. The place wasn't perfect, but we were happy enough there. Also, don't the animals belong to BOTH of you?
Once we are a combined family yes. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Major layoffs just announced by BofA in branches and mortgage areas.

Get set of jobs lined up before coming, one may do it if your needs are modest like mine.

My apt community has quite a few interracial couples and it is very diverse (North Raleigh).
I am intimately aware of the proposed layoffs at BoA I am hoping but not hopeful that I can retain my current position and work from home. Not holding breath though. Luckily my skill set works in most call center environments and have seen some with IBM listed. They have some servicing company housed there.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
No need to put "The South" in quotes. And no need to be apprehensive about moving here (why would you move anywhere if it bothered you and you were in a "take your pick" situation as it seems you are?) Believe it or not, things have changed in the past 150 years and--believe it or not--the South is not actually like The Beverly Hillbillies or "Honey Boo Boo", never mind full of the KKK as it seems you are worried about.

By "RDT" I presume you mean "Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill" or "the Research Triangle (RTP) area. RDT has no meaning here.

Yes, the Raleigh metro is much more urban and progressive, while still being Southern also in many ways. I presume you woudl come and visit before deciding 100% to move here anyway, right? See for yourself.

Durham county is actually a little bit more "Blue" than Orange (Chapel Hill). Durham and Chapel Hill are truly the most liberal part of the state (not just "progressive", but liberal) so never fear. The whole Triangle area is very educated and open-minded as a general rule (yes, even being in "quote-unquote the South:eek") But you will see all of that when you come on a scoping expedition.

Though if you are looking for a banking job, Charlotte would be much better than Raleigh--have you ruled that out altogether? It's still close to PA.
Looked at Charlotte but her job prospects are much more strong in this area. I can be a little more flexible. Sorry about the acronyms mix up!

Very cool. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
For places to live, consider Durham or Chapel Hill. Both have downtown areas that are nice. Folks can argue with me but I find downtown Raleigh not too exciting. Raleigh is much more of an area that depends on automobiles.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 11,423 times
We are currently relocating to the area as well, and have two small dogs (yes, they are MY dogs, husband wants no part in the chihuahuas) So I can understand where you are coming from. My suggestion is to get a real estate agent. THere were several rentals I looked at that had no pets information online, however in the realtor's information pages there were several that were flexible on pets. However, keep in mind you will have to pay a pet fee. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemum View Post
We are currently relocating to the area as well, and have two small dogs (yes, they are MY dogs, husband wants no part in the chihuahuas) So I can understand where you are coming from. My suggestion is to get a real estate agent. THere were several rentals I looked at that had no pets information online, however in the realtor's information pages there were several that were flexible on pets. However, keep in mind you will have to pay a pet fee. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I kind of expect to pay something extra. I just hope to find a place when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary