Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,794 times

Advertisements

I remember growing up in NJ, you always had a set of snow tires that you would change every year after thanksgiving and take off around Easter...lol..... But down here, I stay home, drink coffee and watch all the crashes on the morning news. The people here just do not know how to drive in the snow. Sure, some do. But I just dont take the chance one of the unskilled ones will crash into me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I agree, but chains are a lot cheaper and easier to deal with than a set of snow tires. I've been in a car that used chains a couple of times over the years, but never had to use them myself. If you just wanted peace of mind that you could get somewhere in a snowstorm (like to the doctor or to check on an elderly relative or something) you could have a $20 set of chains in the trunk. They take up minimal space and are cheap and easy to put on in an emergency. Chances are they would never be needed.

I would never recommend snow tires here. Four wheel drive is useful in the mountains, but I'm not sure people even do snow tires in Boone.
I never said I would recommend them for NC I use them in Michigan because we get a lot more snow than you. I wouldn't bother with chains unless I drove in the mountains or a very hilly area here.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM

8 posts, read 13,799 times
WF is becoming more and more appealing each thread I read I absolutely hate the snow, which in the UK we dont really get a choice.... Last January it was that cold my car refused to kick up and so I had to catch public transport it was -18c waiting for that blasted bus So yes Wake Forest is looking nicer and nicer everyday

Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Your list is dated and missing the past few years. Remember the foot of snow we got the day after Christmas in 2010? December 25-26, 2010 Winter Storm Check out Past Events -NWS Raleigh, NC for a complete list of events.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
When I said 'around a foot' I did mean around, not exactly, but it's right there in the historical record which was posted here on the first page. There tend to be two years in each decade, back to back, that have a large storm.

The 90s were an unusual exception... as people said earlier, the 90s were a warm snap.

And you came here in '82, so you just missed the March blizzard.

You are right that the 2000 blizzard was the largest storm in recorded history here. Though there were storms in the early 20th century and 1800s that came close.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Your list is dated and missing the past few years. Remember the foot of snow we got the day after Christmas in 2010? December 25-26, 2010 Winter Storm Check out Past Events -NWS Raleigh, NC for a complete list of events.
Good link, and I do remember that snow, but we got about 4-5 inches at my house in Chapel Hill. If you click on the map on your first link you can see that while Wake county did get significantly more snow than Orange county (again, one of those not uncommon storms that dumps heavier snow east on the eastern portion of the state) most of Wake county got 7-9 inches. Only in the far eastern portion of Wake county did the totals approach 1 foot (the map shows 11 inches). Nash, Edgecombe, Wilson, and Halifax got the most with totals of about 12-13 inches.

WRAL has a story about it archived on their site and notes that RDU got 6.5 inches and the area with the most snow in Wake county was down near Knightdale with 10 inches. Winter wonderland creates slick conditions :: WRAL.com

It was definitely a good snow, but not really a foot in the Triangle unless you want to expand out into the Wilson and Rocky Mount areas.

If I remember right this was the same storm that dumped about 2-3 feet of snow on the DC area. My sister's family was socked in with that one.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Good link, and I do remember that snow, but we got about 4-5 inches at my house in Chapel Hill. If you click on the map on your first link you can see that while Wake county did get significantly more snow than Orange county (again, one of those not uncommon storms that dumps heavier snow east on the eastern portion of the state) most of Wake county got 7-9 inches. Only in the far eastern portion of Wake county did the totals approach 1 foot (the map shows 11 inches). Nash, Edgecombe, Wilson, and Halifax got the most with totals of about 12-13 inches.

WRAL has a story about it archived on their site and notes that RDU got 6.5 inches and the area with the most snow in Wake county was down near Knightdale with 10 inches. Winter wonderland creates slick conditions :: WRAL.com

It was definitely a good snow, but not really a foot in the Triangle unless you want to expand out into the Wilson and Rocky Mount areas.

If I remember right this was the same storm that dumped about 2-3 feet of snow on the DC area. My sister's family was socked in with that one.
I live in East Raleigh so I remember it as a foot of snow. My bad. 2010 overall was a good year for snow in NC especially when compared to 2011!

Mike

Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
We live in Cary and did not get a foot of snow in the 2010 storm, but we left that day to go to NY and areas to the east got a lot more snow. Even 5-10 miles made a big difference. In fact it had long since stopped snowing here when we left but when we got to Rocky Mount it was still snowing. Then arrived in NY on the heels of the blizzard that left up to 2 feet up there.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
I lived in Durham when I was a kid and owned a sled. I was called a liar. Used to snow, but no more.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,752 times
Does Winston Salem get snow? How cold does it get there? Lows and highs? TY

Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtds81985 View Post
Does Winston Salem get snow? How cold does it get there? Lows and highs? TY
These averages from the Southeast Regional Climate Center should give you a basic idea of what to expect:

Period of Record : 6/1/1899 to 4/30/2012

WINSTON SALEM REYNOL, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Last edited by mm34b; 09-16-2014 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary