Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 7,656 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job in Morrisville, and am currently located in Rocky Mount. I have an hour drive each way and a car that isn't great on gas, so it is costing me a good amount of time and money to commute. I am looking at getting my first house/apartment in this area. I have found a couple places that fit the bill (just need something small, one person). I have a few questions about costs of living though. One place I was looking at is located in Durham, 27703. I wanted to know the approximate costs of utilities for this area (and/or surrounding). The place I am looking at in that zip is a 2 bedroom 2 bath ~1000sqft home with central air. I also wanted to know about internet service in this area. I see that TWC is available, but have heard really mixed things. A lot of the complaints are about the cable service itself or the technicians/hardware, which I am self sufficient so I don't think that would be as much of a problem, and I am also only looking for internet service. I saw their 30mbp/s package for $54.99 a month and that is likely what I would opt for, but didn't find any caps or anything if there was any on it. Just wondering if anybody who has the service (specifically that fast if possible) can chime in and post the speeds they normally get.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I'll let others who are more knowledgeable about Durham answer your specific question. But, out of curiosity, why look in Durham if you work in Morrisville? Is your job in Morrisville right across the border with Durham?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'll let others who are more knowledgeable about Durham answer your specific question. But, out of curiosity, why look in Durham if you work in Morrisville? Is your job in Morrisville right across the border with Durham?
I'm not looking specifically there, the house I found is in Durham though and only 10 miles from my job. So I guess it is on the border. But I am open to Morrisville or other surrounding areas.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar8 View Post
I'm not looking specifically there, the house I found is in Durham though and only 10 miles from my job. So I guess it is on the border. But I am open to Morrisville or other surrounding areas.
Morrisville itself is pretty much nothing but housing and strip malls. There are plenty of places to live there. That's why I was curious. What's your price range? Are you only wanting a house?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Morrisville itself is pretty much nothing but housing and strip malls. There are plenty of places to live there. That's why I was curious. What's your price range? Are you only wanting a house?
I would prefer a house or a townhome I suppose, but have been looking into apartments as well. As far as buying, been looking at places around $60,000 or so, renting maybe $700 or so.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar8 View Post
I would prefer a house or a townhome I suppose, but have been looking into apartments as well. As far as buying, been looking at places around $60,000 or so, renting maybe $700 or so.
I think I see what attracted you to Durham. Prices are generally lower there unless you're moving into one of the upscale subdivisions. Generally. Not always.

It's tougher to find housing in Morrisville (especially to buy) for the price you mentioned.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Oh, and while we're talking. TWC are notoriously unpredictable. We stream a lot of content and they will throttle you.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:03 PM

That sucks...not exactly what I'm willing to hear. I download a lot of stuff, and stream a lot...not good on that front.

As for search I'm looking at upping my price a bit and just searching around generally, so just looking at how much everything would be in a general sense.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Whereabouts in Morrisville is your employer? Near an intersection that could be used for a reference point?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,770 times
Our house is about twice your size in terms of square feet & our electric runs from around $120/month up to $250/month. Obviously this time of year when we have the A/C & heat off bills are much less than the colder/warmer months when the unit is working 24x7.

Keep in mind, that depends on the condition of the house (how good are the windows/insulation/etc) and what temp. you like. If you want to keep the house down to 65 all summer obviously the electric bill will be more.

You should be able to call Duke Electric & get the bill amounts on that property for the last year (or ask your realtor to get the information for you). I think Duke Electric offers a 'fixed bill' option where they take the amount they think you will pay over the year & then divide it by 12 & charge you that amount each month. Can make budgeting each month a little easier.

Water/sewer runs us around $100/$150 a month. More during the months we are watering the garden/yard. There are two of us, for one person I imagine it would be somewhat less (fewer showers/fewer loads of laundry/etc).

If you are doing your own yard work you can get a lawn bin for something like an extra $6/month too. That gets you the bin + up to 10 bags every week.

TWC is what we have for internet, our TV is via Direct TV. The cable is okay, we have sporadic outages that last a few minutes to a couple hours. My husband streams a lot of netflix & youtube videos and we've never noticed an issue. The one time we did have an issue & had to have a tech. out it was painful. What should have been a quick visit was a week, lost appoointments & no call backs. But hey, they gave us a $9 credit for the 5 days we were without internet. Thank goodness the major issues are few & far between!

You should find that property taxes are a bit less in Durham than other areas too. I know that is't a utility, but it is an expense you'll need to include in your budget.

Good luck with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary