Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:25 AM

45 posts, read 175,248 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Naperville,IL.

I will be making a visit early October to look at areas and homes. Luck has it I am coming when the parade of homes is being held.

I want a community Like Naperville. My housing budget is $350K - 435K. I want newer construction and a community with a pool.

Has anyone moved from Naperville, how do you like it? What do you like and what do you not like?

I am looking in Cary, Apex, FV and Wake Forest areas at this time.

My first choice is to Lease to own because of my financial situation.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbsdc View Post

I will be making a visit early October to look at areas and homes. Luck has it I am coming when the parade of homes is being held.

I want a community Like Naperville. My housing budget is $350K - 435K. I want newer construction and a community with a pool.

Has anyone moved from Naperville, how do you like it? What do you like and what do you not like?

Thank you!
For those of us who have never been to Naperville why don't you tell us what you are looking for specifically and we might be able to make recommendations. FWIW, most school districts here are not like Naperville... I know it town/ city based. Most of the school districts in NC are county based.... if schools are a concern.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 AM

211 posts, read 613,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbsdc View Post

Thank you!
I am not sure that there are many neighborhoods quite like Naperville, around here.

I agree with PDXmom that if you can be more specific, we can help more.

From an asthetic POV, I think that d/t Wake Forest and d/t Cary (near the RR station) (or even Pittsboro) have the most potential to be similar to d/t Naperville, but they are a long way away and may never want to grow to that size (Barnes and Nobles, parking decks, the Gap, etc.). (Although I would LOVE W/F to have some of the same qualities as Naperville.)

Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I fear that those who come into an area hoping to "re-create" the place they came from will have expectations that cannot be met and will end up being disappointed. No matter how much you wish for it, this will never be like ____________. (Fill in wherever you're from.) My advice is to accept that it's going to be new and different. Drink the Kool-Aid and learn to love it here for what it is.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
The schools are definitely different that the local districts the Chi burbs have. Here it is county wide with redistricting so your child(ren) may not go to the school closest to home. What part of Naperville are you looking to duplicate? The newer home communities with lots of shopping amenities nearby or the downtown Naperville feel? I grew up in DuPage Cty and still have family in the burbs so I'm pretty familiar with Naperville.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:30 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I fear that those who come into an area hoping to "re-create" the place they came from will have expectations that cannot be met and will end up being disappointed. No matter how much you wish for it, this will never be like ____________.
Exactly! Why are you moving in the first place, if you want it to be exactly like where you're coming from??

Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM

45 posts, read 175,248 times
Default Naperville

Thank you fro your responses. I am not looking to duplicate Naperville. I quess what I am looking for ia someone who is familar with this area and let me know the differnces between here and there. I just want to minimze the surprises.

To answer your question about what I do like about Naperville, here goes. They have very highly rated schools (so does Wake County). I know about the redistricting and that is not a huge concern for me. As long as all the kids remain together from the schools.

I would like an area with:
  • neat neighborhoods with newer homes.
  • Restaurants and shops within 10 -15 minutes away.
  • a nice sense of community and a progressive feel.
  • a community pool
  • a cute downtown area with restaurants and shops etc.
I am move to Cary, Apex, FV maybe Wake Forest?

I just want to make the right decision about which community will have the best schools and community for myself, husband and 9 year old son.

On my to see List are:
TOP 7 (on paper)
  1. Brighton Forest - FV
  2. Highland Oaks - Cary
  3. Cary Park - Cary
  4. Highcroft - Cary/Apex
  5. West Lake - Cary/Apex
  6. The Park at West Lake - Cary/Apex
  7. Heritage -
Others of interest (so far)

Crooked Creek - FV
Bentwinds - FV
Abbington - Apex
Glenmoor Wake Forest
Galloway - Wake Forest
St. Ives - Wake Forest

Please share any input or comments.

I want to make the best use of the 3 days i have in the area during early October.

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I fear that those who come into an area hoping to "re-create" the place they came from will have expectations that cannot be met and will end up being disappointed. No matter how much you wish for it, this will never be like ____________. (Fill in wherever you're from.)
You fear? Give me a break. The OP seeks a community with characteristics similar to his or her current home. This does not imply overly high expectations on his or her part. It does not imply that the OP intends to re-create a familiar community or lifestyle. You unfairly imposed these assumptions on the post and used them as a basis of criticism.

OP, I have never been to Naperville but my guess is you will not find a community in the Triangle with similar aesthetics, density, amenities and arrangement of activities. There is the obvious much higher density of population in the Chicago area and in Naperville in particular.

The gridlike layout of streets, public transportation options and mix of new construction with older buildings in Naperville has more in common with Downtown Raleigh and the neighborhoods located immediately west of downton than it does with the suburban towns you mentioned in your post. However, the cost for newer construction in Downtown Raleigh is likely going to be prohibitively high for your budget.

As mentioned, please be more specific about which qualities of the Naperville lifestyle are most valuable to you. If new construction is most important, I suggest looking in west Cary or Apex. However, the tradeoff is you get more homogonity and less diversity of activities in those areas than than you currently receive in Naperville.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,429 times
OP, you submitted your second post at the same time I was writing mine.

I suggest looking into some of the newer neighborhoods located immediately west of downtown Apex, for example, Scott's Mill. I live near downtown Cary and I can tell you that there is not a lot of new construction nearby, except for the occasional infill house or two, but here you will not be part of a neighborhood with a community pool.

Scott's Mill is consistent with all of the bullets you listed in your post, except perhaps the one about having a progressive feel. For that matter, I don't think you will find a progressive feel in any of the neighborhoods on your list. Check out Southern Village in Chapel Hill for a neighborhood that satisifies all five constraints you mentioned. With Southern Village there might be an issue with price.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
You fear? Give me a break. The OP seeks a community with characteristics similar to his or her current home. This does not imply overly high expectations on his or her part. It does not imply that the OP intends to re-create a familiar community or lifestyle. You unfairly imposed these assumptions on the post and used them as a basis of criticism.
There is not one word of criticism in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary