Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,765 times

Advertisements

I agree goodbyesnow..there are nice trade offs here in exchange for lower salaries(I honestly knew what my salary would be before I moved here..so I can't gripe about that. Its the no-raise in 5 yrs that annoys me and is causing good teachers to leave the profession for a higher salary).

And many of the "extra" duties just go along with the job...its just all of those piled up together that start to tick teachers off..and they ask more each year because they can get away with it.

As I said before..I am NOT a lunch lady, so the keeping track of lunch money, serving of the food and washing the tables after ...and then barely getting to eat lunch myself, is what I take offense to the most.(Having to stay after school to open car doors at carpool for each student is a close second..I am not a door-man either). Its just demeaning.

But the IEP meetings, staff meetings, conferences etc. etc...goes with the territory, and I knew that going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
As I said before..I am NOT a lunch lady, so the keeping track of lunch money, serving of the food and washing the tables after ...and then barely getting to eat lunch myself, is what I take offense to the most.
When I was teaching overseas, this was part of my duties as well but with a big difference. For one, all students were required to eat the school lunch so a monthly bill was just mailed to the house and it was up to the school accountant to keep track of which families paid and which didn't. I don't think that system was any better than what we do here but at least I wasn't personally responsible for keeping track of money.

Teachers took turns being on food serving duty. There was always enough time after serving to sit with the students and eat lunch with them. I actually enjoyed this a lot because I learned things about my students they would have never told me otherwise. Once lunch was done, the STUDENTS washed their tables. It was part of their responsibility. This is something I think students here SHOULD be made to do, not the teachers. Students were also responsible for keeping the school clean by sweeping the classrooms, knocking the chalkboard erasers together, etc etc. Did they do the greatest job? No. But the schools were just as clean as you find here and the students were learning to take responsibility for property. There's absolutely no reason that children as young as kindergarten can't be expected to clean up after their own messes and keep their classroom tidy.

Long story short, I don't see anything wrong with having teachers help out in the lunchroom but students should also be required to carry their own weight!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM

STudents used to do it...but because of the cleaning solution used to wash table, they do not want to kids
touching it anymore.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Seems like the better solution would be to use something non-toxic! But we all know the school system here doesn't seem to make the most logical choices.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 AM

I agree!
BUt we also had parents that would complain that they don't want their kids cleaning up after other kids etc......so that was another reason they just have teachers do it.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 AM

Ehh if I were supreme dictator of the school system I would tell those parents to shove it, we're teaching the kids about community pride and responsibility here. Then again, I probably wouldn't last as supreme dictator for very long before a coup happened.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Ehh if I were supreme dictator of the school system I would tell those parents to shove it, we're teaching the kids about community pride and responsibility here. Then again, I probably wouldn't last as supreme dictator for very long before a coup happened.
"evaoftata?"

Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM

I like the sound of that

Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I think Mike may be the only guy who could get away with combining Eva and tata without getting slapped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary