Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,855,964 times

Advertisements

Just thought those of you that have recently moved to the Raleigh are might like to know that while your current temperature (11:49 AM EST) is 69º, the current temperature here in Houston is 37º and will be falling by nightfall. We are expecting ice to be covering everything by morning - won't that be fun for those of us who attempt to get to work, especially the folks that have to use freeways/overpasses which will surely freeze. It's been a long time since we had such extreme weather such as this and although I loathe the hot endless summers, this is not what I had in mind. Not really looking for any replies or comments, just sharing...

Hopefully by the time we make our move to Raleigh the weather will have normalized a bit. Br-r-r-r!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,013,527 times
WE are supposed to cool down dramatically for the rest of our week here. Stay safe on that ice!

Old 01-15-2007, 05:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
Hey Redrover...surely they can't expect you to go to work when the travel is that dangerous? You know what they do here? They close the schools so no one can really go to work and they close the malls. Now if you have kids at home, you can't work. If you can't shop, you have nothing left to do but stay at home, make hot chocolate with the kids and stay warm! But if they do expect you at work...drive safely. Remember...its not you that you need to worry about...its all those nuts in their 4 wheel SUVs that think they know how to drive in ice!!! Be safe! Vicki

Old 01-16-2007, 02:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,599,447 times
I believe it was last sunday when I heard thunder....according the the urban legend, that means it should snow sometime within the next week and a half.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 PM

271 posts, read 1,214,066 times
And looking into the weather models it could. This week will be cold, but next week is supposed to be frigid. Average nightly lows look to be in the upper teens from Tuesday (1/23 )next week into the weekend. In my opinion if it's going to be that cold and make my heating bill go up it better snow and keep me at home a day or two to enjoy the snow. Ahh. Nothing better than a "DVD and Hot Chocolate Holiday"

Old 01-16-2007, 03:34 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,013,527 times
Do tell more about the urban legend of thunder and snow!!! Nothing I have heard before.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 PM

271 posts, read 1,214,066 times
Supposedly around these parts if it thunders during the winter months Late December through March that within a week to 10 days there will be snow (or some kind of winter precipatation.) A couple of years ago I marked on my calender whenever we had a warm springlike day in the middle of January-March and storms would roll through and sure enough during 3 seperate occasions we had a dusting of snow or freezing rain or something. Flurries in April marked the last 7-10 days after the thunder legend event. So it seems to have some basis.

Let me think,.. the last thunder we had was last Monday when that front came through the 8th in the early morning. So if the myth is right sometime between yesterday and Friday the 19th we should have some kind of wintry precipatation.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,349,160 times
No, the treacherous (my mother's words ) snow will occur over the weekend - so no snow days - at least that's how my luck seems to be lately.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:33 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,830 times
My husband and I just moved from Austin to here - arrived in Cary on Sunday afternoon. We missed all the terrible weather coming out here. Kids called today from Austin to say that it was really snowing hard, which is very unusual for that area of TX.

Stay safe and warm everyone!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,411,327 times
We'll make up for it in July with 98 degrees and 80% humidity!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary