Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 AM

85 posts, read 311,687 times

Advertisements

I just read that the never-ending-financially-doomed Us Airways is canceling a number of it non-stop flights out of Pittsburgh, with Raleigh/Durham being one of them.

Great. I move here thinking that I'm just a 58-minute flight home....and now that option goes away. Looks like I'm left with the crazy-curvy drive through WV.....or some flight with connections (that will take twice as long). Of course, Dan Onorato (for those of you who still follow Allegheny County politics) insists that some other carrier will pick up the canceled flights. I sure hope so!!! GRRRRR!!!!!!

I'd be curious to hear from any other ex-PGH'ers about your commute back to the 'Burgh. Do you drive or fly? How often do you make the trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,659,209 times
Not from PA. But I'm not thrilled with the lack of non-stop flight from New England to RDU. It's pretty much Jet Blue BOS to RDU or nothing. Since Charlotte is the hub for the area that's the deal. Hoping for better flights someday from Providence, Hartford, and the airports north of NYC.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 AM

124 posts, read 504,555 times
Default Pittsburgh is one dog city

The cancellation of flights only reflects it's dying status as capital of the Rust Belt.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,610 times
I miss the good old days when RDU was an American Airlines hub and there were direct flights to so many destinations. It was unbelivable for an area of this size (think 15+ years ago), and was a gamble that didn't pay off for AA. Sadly, the Midway Airlines experiment failed and we are left without a major airline here. Though there are a decent number of direct flights and one-stop destinations, it's not ideal for frequent flyers as it is nearly impossible to rack up enough segments on one airline to get preferred status. It seems RDU did a very poor job in this department, while CLT has been a model hub airport. What a shame!

I also recall flying through PIT in 1994 and it was a very nice airport and hub for US Air. Now that US Airways has moved most hub operations to PHL & CLT I imagine PIT air travellers are suffering similar woes to what RDU has experienced over the years.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,808 times
I miss Midway as well. Especially the non-stop to Mexico (Cancun). I heard that RDU is getting another Cancun flight soon (Delta). Maybe it is time for me to buy that condo around Playa del Carmen I've always wanted.

I thought there were some other non-stops to New England. American Eagle maybe?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,924 times
Actually American Eagle flies direct to Boston and Hartford and Delta flies to Boston. It's a regional jet but I prefer those anyway - easy on, easy off. Fly it to DC all the time.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 AM

But direct is not non-stop. We have checked all the airlines for my in-laws in CT -- Jet Blue, AirTran, and Southwest.

My in-laws are going to fly out of Stewart NY, connect through Atlanta, then arrive in Raleigh. There was nothing non-stop for Hartford or Providence either. The only other choice for non-stop was a NYC airport. My in-laws said they would rather drive all the way to NC than deal with that. LOL!

Sadly I think flight schedules and service will get worse before it gets better.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,610 times
I have flown non-stop from RDU to Hartford on American Eagle. Not sure if that route is still in service or not.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I have flown non-stop from RDU to Hartford on American Eagle. Not sure if that route is still in service or not.
Are my eyes doing tricks on me? Could it be a non-stop flight?

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY AMERICAN EAGLE 4645 BDL
Hartford/ Springfield/ Windsor Locks Nov 26, 2007
07:15 AM RDU
Raleigh/ Durham Nov 26, 2007
09:05 AM ER3 Economy
View Seats 532 1 hr 50 min

I just found it on AA's site and Orbitz. They must be a new flight? We have been looking at flights on and off since July. Thank you! And sorry I highjacked the PA topic

Old 10-10-2007, 11:03 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,011,415 times
Try here to CA. ugh! Even worse .....ever flown to Hawaii from here? I had no idea. We have the choice between 11 hours travel or 16 hours of travel. One way. It is easier to get to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary