Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 9,993 times

Advertisements

I never thought I would leave NY but I think we have reached the point of wanting out of the rat race. Anyone from Brooklyn who can give me their point of view of what it's like? Do you like it here? We are thinking of Raleigh. Will probably visit to see for ourselves in the spring. Also, how do the schools compare to Brooklyn schools? Our older daughter is in first grade. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM

310 posts, read 1,715,473 times
I didn't live in Brooklyn, but I lived in Queens and Long Island. There is no comparison between NYC and Raleigh; they are totally two different cities in every way imaginable.

Raleigh population is about 250K, which you can find as much people in one zip code in NYC. It is very rural here compared to NYC. It is hard to make friends and to meet many people. Most people down here drive their cars to get to anywhere, even to get a loaf of bread. There no sophisticated mass transportation system like NYC. There limited things one can do here for fun or leisure. The pace of life is very slow, and people drives very slow.

The good thing about the south is living expenses. A two bedroom apt. goes between $600 to $800. A 2500 sqft. house can be found from 200K and up. Jobs availability depends on your profession. The salary is lower than NYC, but the overall live standard is better then NYC.

If you are married with children, the slow life here is a good break from the fast one in NYC. You should come here few times before you make your move.

There is nothing like NYC, and if I can afford it I will back in a heart beat.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
Sounds like you are not happy?????

Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,283 times
Hi, I was born and raised in Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay) though I just moved to Raleigh just a little over a month ago from Ft Lauderdale for which we have lived for the past 25yrs +, like the other person said it's nothing like Brooklyn, though for me coming from Florida it's closer to Brooklyn to "me" and I don't mean mileage wise. It's not flat like Fl. it is hilly and scenic, with a lot of rural area's (at least more than I expected) you are going to need to adapt to the many people who have southern accents LOL people are very friendly, courteous, at least so far.... LOL Again, like the others have said you definately need a car to get around for the most part. It's not like Brooklyn where you hop on a bus or train and get to just about anywhere you want to go. Like I said I have only been here about 5 weeks so I can only give you my opinion which isn't that much, I can tell you I have strong roots and feelings for my hometown of Brooklyn, but like others say can't really afford to live there anymore , at least in the style I have become accustomed to.... Definatley visit before you take the plunge.
As far as the schools, sorry I don't have school age children anymore so no info on that. All in all the Raleigh area is very nice thus far, but I too have a lot to learn about the area, climate etc. etc. Well good luck to you fellow "Brookynite" Take care.... !

Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 PM

37 posts, read 161,731 times
moving from NY to Morrisville, NC--10 mins from Raleigh--was the best thing we ever did..i am down here a month now, and will NEVER go back!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,089 times
We moved from Brooklyn 2 years ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE it here. If I just think about living in Brooklyn again I get ill. We are moving already, have gained some good appreciation in 2 years, but want a neighborhood with more kids, so we're headed to Fuquay Varina where you can get a lot more house for the money. The pace of life here is so laid back and welcoming. Just went to my first pig pickin' this past weekend and it was definitely an experience. If you're interested I can give you the name of my Realtor who was absolutely fantastic when we relocated and is now selling our home. She helped us tremendously when we moved and educated us to every town in the parameters of Raleigh.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 AM

310 posts, read 1,715,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candygirl2 View Post
Sounds like you are not happy?????
I am happy, but not 100% happy...
You know, one cannot have it all. There are many things I like here: personal space, being able to afford a house, good job opportunities, and friendly people. But, there are many things that I miss in NYC. I was born, raised, and lived all my life in big cities...so I guess I am a city boy

Old 10-11-2007, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,178 times
I'm from Brooklyn (Born and Raised) and my wife and I are planning on moving down to the Raleigh area soon. (probably within the next 6-8 months)

I guess for me, similar to the OP is that I am just dead tired of the rat race and the whole "now now now" attitude of NYC.

Plus, the prospect of being able to own a nice home of my own without having to spend a million is great.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 AM

271 posts, read 700,969 times
I was born and lived in Queens my Entire life ( Howard Beach & Glen Oaks ) I'm 33. Wife and and my 18 month old Daughter will be moving down to Cary This Feb. Looking Forward in Leaving NYC

Old 10-11-2007, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 9,993 times
Thanks for all of your responses.
Looks like hubby and I are not the only ones feeling this way. I love NY so much but the cost of living here has gotten ridiculous. We both work and I would love to work part time to be w the kids more and don't think we can even afford it!

Older daughter is in 1st grade at good pubic school right now but middle school in NYC is lacking unless you get into a selective program.

Anyone else from NY that has been in the triangle are for a while? Where would you live in the area for MORE of a city feel? Thanks, Natalie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary