Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

Measurement used to be primarily temp workers. Not sure if it still is or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM

107 posts, read 166,816 times
Looks like they use a lot of temp workers but there are some permanent jobs as well. In particular one happens to be in my field at the current moment.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Hope it works out. They're located in downtown Durham which has a great creative/urban/gritty vibe if that appeals. There are converted loft apts/condos there.

I did temp reading for them eons ago when I first got out of college. Much has changed since then.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Polakoff-FYI, there are PLENTY of teaching jobs if times get tough!
Now I have a question for you-or two:
I ebay too, but cant seem to make enough to quit teaching-suggestions-and your other ideas outside of the classroom. Please share your knowledge!
By the way, don't know much about the areas you inquired about, but when I have been in any of those areas, I loved them much more than where we settled. Chapel HIll, Cary, Morrisville, Apex, Durham near Southpoint-all seem nice enough when driving through/shopping. I'd take any of those and feel safe and happy with the area-I'm out here in the middle of nowhere!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM

snow - it seems like there are lots of jobs when I look for them online, but I constantly hear that it's impossible to get a teaching job from people on this board. What's with the disconnect?

In regards to ebay, I don't currently make nearly enough to quit teaching, but I could get by if I did do it full time. I sell sports cards and memorabilia and things. It's really tedious though. I make tiny tiny amounts on each item I sell but work my butt off doing it. I get home from school at 5 and I work till 10, then I do more work in the morning, and all day each weekend. I give myself 1 day off a week. It's great extra income but a lot of work!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
snow - it seems like there are lots of jobs when I look for them online, but I constantly hear that it's impossible to get a teaching job from people on this board. What's with the disconnect?

In regards to ebay, I don't currently make nearly enough to quit teaching, but I could get by if I did do it full time. I sell sports cards and memorabilia and things. It's really tedious though. I make tiny tiny amounts on each item I sell but work my butt off doing it. I get home from school at 5 and I work till 10, then I do more work in the morning, and all day each weekend. I give myself 1 day off a week. It's great extra income but a lot of work!
I have many clients who have said the same thing..."Jobs aren't that difficult to come by in this area". So...I read what people on here say and I wonder...is it just that they aren't qualified for the jobs they are looking for?

For example...I've heard nursing jobs aren't as easy to find but I had a client that was a nurse and interviewed for 3 positions nad was offered all 3.

There seems to be some folks that want to tell others to: 1. Make sure you have a job before you move here. 2. Rent before you buy. They say this to anyone that asks and sometimes that just isn't relevant.

Gathering opinions is one method of research but don't let that be your only method.

I sold Beanie Babies on ebay when they were the "hit"! Ebay is so much fun. I've often thought that if I stopped real estate, I'd go to yard sales and garage sales and find treasures to post on ebay!

I had a friend who asked me to sell her old plastic Halloween toys on ebay because she didn't know how to do it. Actually, I'm not sure she even had a computer. Anyway...I did some research and found out that these old plastic toys she purchased for her kids at 50 cents each were worth over $200 each!!! Sold all 3 of them for her! What fun!

Vicki

Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
A very quick search yielded more than 200 2 & 3 bedroom rentals currently available in Chapel Hill and Carrboro under $1300. Some were well under, some were right at it. I have no idea which ones included utilities, but I imagine some did. I'm sure some of the rentals are not what the OP has in mind, but many of them sounded quite nice, too. Some were apartments, some condos, some duplexes, some 4-plexes, some townhomes, some single family homes. I'm sure some were quite studenty and some not so much.
Sounds like the OP would do fine in Chapel Hill, then.

I'm amazed at nice rental complexes renting around 1000 dollars for a 3BR apt. I've always been lead to believe that Chapel Hill costs more than Cary.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:08 PM

[quote=VickiR;27766188]I have many clients who have said the same thing..."Jobs aren't that difficult to come by in this area". So...I read what people on here say and I wonder...is it just that they aren't qualified for the jobs they are looking for?

For example...I've heard nursing jobs aren't as easy to find but I had a client that was a nurse and interviewed for 3 positions nad was offered all 3.

There seems to be some folks that want to tell others to: 1. Make sure you have a job before you move here. 2. Rent before you buy. They say this to anyone that asks and sometimes that just isn't relevant.

Gathering opinions is one method of research but don't let that be your only method.

I sold Beanie Babies on ebay when they were the "hit"! Ebay is so much fun. I've often thought that if I stopped real estate, I'd go to yard sales and garage sales and find treasures to post on ebay!

I had a friend who asked me to sell her old plastic Halloween toys on ebay because she didn't know how to do it. Actually, I'm not sure she even had a computer. Anyway...I did some research and found out that these old plastic toys she purchased for her kids at 50 cents each were worth over $200 each!!! Sold all 3 of them for her! What fun!

Ebay is my fun job! Teaching helps pay the bills-but pays so much less than where I came from-and ebay is fun and pays for "extra". I wish I could only do ebay. It's been my plan for years. You get such a rush when something sells for more than you could have imagined.
(I was a beanie buyer) for my oldest. Before we moved down here last summer, I couldnt give away her once -valuable beanies).

Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post

I have two certifications: regular and special ed. I interviewed for 3 jobs and had two offers plus still had calls coming in. My school alone has 10 new teachers this year, and there are plenty of vacancies in Wake. We have teachers in regular ed who are brand new,so there seems to be a need. I even had principals ask if I had to do special ed or if I'd do regular ed-so even regular ed has a need. BUT, the pay is awful and the workload is so much more-I thought I was overworked before-now add before school and after school duties every day plus plan on giving up lunch for duties, meetings, etc and more things my old district had other people for, and you can begin to imagine. I always worked after hours and weekends on teaching stuff, now I'm working even MORE hours and my take home is about half!
I teach, lesson plan, write IEPS,etc at night and weekends, and ebay nights and weekends. I know it's a lot of work and a little profit per transaction, but if I could only do that, I might not be so stressed-and maybe have more time for my own kids.
Let me know if you have some teaching-related ideas for staying home!
I'm new to the area, but feel free to ask me any questions I may be able to help with.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 AM

Don't worry about pay being awful - I come from Florida - worse, Alachua County, and worse, a charter school without benefits. So, the pay will be better pretty much no matter what.

It's encouraging to hear that. I check the WCPSS site often just to get a feel of the jobs out there and I find a LOT of jobs posted. I am certified K-6 and 5-9 math and have my ESOL and gifted endorsements, but of course those things are Florida certificates and I've got to work in the next few weeks on transferring them. One of the reasons I'd like to switch is just what you said, the time! I don't have planning periods anymore since I use them for meetings and the like, and I have before school, after school, and weekends for things that are compulsory too. I get to school at 7:15 each day, leave at 4:30 and sometimes have to stay later, like this week when we have band concerts until 8 PM. eBay full time would DEFINITELY de-stress me, but then I might be stressed about money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary