Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times

Advertisements

The principal at my son's school is a mess and I would be absolutely frightened if he had a gun at the school. I would also point out that most elementary school teachers aren't the type I can imagine wielding a gun successfully against an armed mad man. There was an armed guard/cop at Columbine and that did a whole lot of good, right?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM

310 posts, read 575,759 times
After reading this discussion I may have to go back and edit my response the the gun culture in the Triangle thread from a couple weeks ago.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...l#post27668862

Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
My son goes to school here and there is an unarmed guard at his elementary school. This man cannot do anything to stop an armed intruder who wants in. He will stop me from entering when I have a full sheet cake in my hands but he has nothing on anyone willing to force themselves in. Even if he was the most valiant ever, if he is unarmed and the intruder is armed, well, who wins that fight? Duh.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,762 times
Most teachers are teachers because they are good at teaching...not firing a weapon. So I am against teachers having guns.

Unarmed guards are a waste of money. You'll see them sleeping in their new company car in the back lot.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 AM

328 posts, read 767,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if unarmed guards cost $2.4MM, how much do you think armed police officers would cost?

So, either spend more and get armed police officers or don't bother! Teachers salaries are really low here and adding a useless position is adding insult to injury.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I don't like the idea. You want to stop a bad guy with a gun from getting in our schools? Give a good guy a gun and let him stand guard. I'm talking police officer, and that's going to cost a lot of money.
'Cause it worked so well at Columbine.

Quote:
Columbine High School had a sheriff’s deputy on scene when the shooting broke out.

That’s right, but it isn’t like the deputy was sitting around eating doughnuts during the Columbine massacre. He traded fire (that is, he drew fire) with Harris for an extended period of time, during which Harris’s gun jammed. The deputy and the backup he immediately called for exchanged fire with the shooters a second time and helped begin the evacuation of students, all before the SWAT teams and the rest of the cavalry arrived, and before Harris and Klebold killed themselves in the library.
‘Columbine Had an Armed Guard.’ - By Daniel Foster - The Corner - National Review Online

Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,111 times
I thought I read in the N&O that armed guards would cost 8 to 9 million per year.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Stay on topic, folks.

I'd personally rather they spend 8-9 mil on armed guards than 2.4 on the equivalent of a grocery clerk.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM

82 posts, read 147,901 times
Seriously? We're educators not police officers. Police officers might freeze in a situation like Sandy Hook how do you think your average sweet as pie kindergarten teacher or principal react? Wow, we already have to teach the kids how to behave, manners and all that other stuff we get paid for, but now you want us to take down perps too. Another good reason to leave the field of education! Crazy!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
My first reaction was that it was a ridiculous waste of money, but after thinking about it and receiving an email from a school board member I'm rethinking my original opinion on the issue for a couple of reasons. It makes sense if you put aside your thoughts about Sandy Hook and think of the other security issues that go on in schools. It's highly unlikely to have an shooting situation, it's more likley to less violent security breeches in schools. I don't think an armed guard or an unarmed guard is going to make a whole ton of difference in most mass shooting situations.

One is the board member responded mentioned that it was less about preventing a Sandy Hook incident and more about providing security to prevent unwanted people from entering the school. He said that there have been parents "testing the system" to see how far they can get into schools without being stopped and even sending relatives in to check out their kids without permission to see how hard or easy it is. Considering that most teachers are busy inside the classrooms teaching and most receptionists are sometimes busy with other duties, it does makes sense to me to have one person designated to check visitors in and make sure they are legit and walk the halls making sure no one is wandering around and just generally keep order on the school campus.

Also, if costs 2 billion for unarmed guards and 8 million for armed guards, I'd rather pay to have the unarmed guards than nothing. At least it is one additional layer of security that we don't have now.. It also gets "security guards" into the budget and perhaps in the future it will make it easier to write armed guards into the budget if we need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary