Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:03 AM

124 posts, read 187,786 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I will be visiting Chapel Hill for two days this week. I am visiting my "top" moving options, and CH is first! I will only have one full day there, as it's a 7 hour drive, so I need to make it count!

I'm not there for touristy things, but what would you recommend as must do's?

I'd like to check out potential neighborhoods. I'd be looking for an apartment for the first year at least. I am looking for somewhere vibrant, but very safe, and family friendly, as I have a young child. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Any healthy restaurant recommendations? Any vegetarian friendly recommendations, and little cafes for morning coffee?

I would be looking for jobs as a baker. Any bakeries come to mind to visit?

Thank you so much, and I look forward to visiting your beautiful town!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,581,500 times
If you're looking for healthy, vegetarian and cafe style you might as well just head for Carrboro and cut to the chase. It's pretty much Chapel Hill anyway and it has all three of those things in abundance.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 AM

Ok, I keep hearing about carrboro. Is it a family friendly place to live?

Old 03-10-2014, 07:15 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times
Are you the same poster who wanted a 2-br apt for 400-500 dollars? Because, if those are your parameters, I can't think of neighborhoods.

If your parameters have expanded, that's another matter. Just making sure of whether or not I'm recalling this properly.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,295,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Glowing View Post
Ok, I keep hearing about carrboro. Is it a family friendly place to live?
Carrboro and Chapel Hill flow directly into one another and are so similar many who post here say they don't feel any difference between the two.

I like Carrboro's DT area better than CH's, but that's just me.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 AM

360 posts, read 993,709 times
When in Chapel Hill, I always head for Mediterranean Deli on West Franklin St. for healthy, vegetarian food. Mediterranean Deli, Bakery, & Catering- The best in downtown Chapel Hill

Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 AM

873 posts, read 1,019,542 times
Chapel Hill native here. There are plenty of family friendly neighborhoods with apartments throughout the city and adjoining Carrboro. You just need to qualify what you want beyond "vibrant, but very safe." Do you want one with a pool or park for children to play? Modernized amenities? Near the city bus system? (Which is free to ride, by the way?) Most importantly, what do you want to pay for rent? These should be prioritized by you before coming here as you search for your best option. There are dozens of places right now that fit your limited criteria and will be impossible for you to research them all in person in just one day until you specify what you want.

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system is recognized as one of the best if not the best public school systems in North Carolina, so any place you live in the district should meet your needs. Good luck on your hunt, and welcome to the area!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 AM

"Meh Whatever", I am the poster who was looking for a one bedroom in the $500 range, but that was before I did much research on housing costs in the area. I am from a town where you can rent a 2 bedroom nice house for $700 if that puts it in perspective! From my research online, it seems like I'll be looking at about $700-even $800 a month for rent?

Ozmoe, we are big on parks, but honestly very safe while still being affordable for the area is my top priority. I could name lots of wants though! A good park, walking distance to small restaurants, walking friendly, biking friendly, etc. I'm honestly just looking for a great little neighborhood! It's hard to be super specific when I'm not very picky outside of safety

Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Perks for an area with a health conscience vibe and maybe a health food store

Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,843,828 times
Carrboro is definitely a "crunchy" town but also family-friendly. Realize you're walking distance from the university and there are lots of students, especially grad students, there.

Have you looked into the job market for bakers in the places you're thinking of moving? Most would say it's not wise to move anywhere without a job offer. Most of the nicer restaurants in this metro that would hire "bakers" are probably in Raleigh, Durham, or Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary