Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times

Advertisements

I'm not worried for my life or health. What is the absolute worst thing that could happen at Shearon Harris?

Look at Chernobyl, and all of the contributing factors.
1) It was built using Soviet technology, where safety was less important than winning economically against the West.
2) Despite that, automatic safety systems kicked in, but were shut down by controllers in an unfortunate series of blunders and miscalculations.
3) Since Soviet Russia was so secretive, evacuation orders were slow to come. Town people were literally standing around and watching the 'erie' lights eminating from the plant, completely oblivious to the dangers they faced.

Despite that, the World Health Organization attributed 56 deaths to Chernobyl. Of those, 47 were accident workers who were exposed to huge amounts of radiation at the scene. Only 9 non-worker deaths are attributed to Cherynobyl...9 children who later died of thyroid cancer.

I think people assume that if Shearon Harris goes, it's going to explode in a mushroom cloud of death and destruction. But Shearon Harris is NOT a nuclear bomb. It is not going to explode and 'take out' Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:34 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
ok so only 56 people are dead but read about the destruction and havoc to the environment in that whole area; I value my life and family higher than that, and not sure I but the propaganda ploy about poor workmanship - face it a train derailed at 4 mph carrying a nuclear flask in our back yard and that worries me

Chernobyl death toll under 50 | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited

Chernobyl death toll under 50

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-10-2007 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM

120 posts, read 206,319 times
Default They are dangerous, period!

The really bad thing isn't your potential health problems, but the land you purchased within the fall-out radius around Harris. You would loose your land indefinitely to an environmental incident. No one in their "right" mind would live near a facility that released any known quantity of nuclear pollutants into the local environment (i.e., Kerr Lake).

Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 PM

120 posts, read 206,319 times
Default The Harris plant may have ruined their chance...

to expand their plant due to the recent safety issue. They are under a 2 year safety review by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:17 PM

43,288 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Comparing Harris and Chernobyl is like comparing a Volvo to a Corvair...

Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 PM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
ok so only 56 people are dead but read about the destruction and havoc to the environment in that whole area; I value my life and family higher than that, and not sure I but the propaganda ploy about poor workmanship - face it a train derailed at 4 mph carrying a nuclear flask in our back yard and that worries me
Well..I'm in no way claiming that it wasn't an ecological disaster...simply that even the highly-unlikely event of a meltdown at Shearon Harris, the health effects would be minimal (if existent at all), and therefore shouldn't be a reason not to live here.

And I don't think the possibility of an ecological disaster should affect your choice to live here either. If a meltdown occurs at Shearon Harris, you can simply move elsewhere. (The government would probably even pay you to relocate).

Old 10-29-2007, 06:31 PM

59 posts, read 151,650 times
First of all, modern Nuclear plants don't explode like a nuclear bomb. They are powered by a different fuel than bombs. The worse case scenario is they meltdown so there is no "safe zone".

Secondly, you can't compare Chernobyl to modern Nuclear plants. Reactors today are designed to be safe despite possible operator error. They are a different design than the one used at Chernobyl and most of all, Chernobyl was UNCONTAINED. Radioactive materials don't make their way out of the vessel and produce fallout like it did at Chernobyl.

I also want to mention that people are exposed to all kinds of natural and unnatural radiation throughout the day and they don't even realize it. Even a banana contains potassium which is a radioactive element.

The reason this subject is debated so fiercely is because the arguments against nuclear power usually have no basis whatsoever. There are hundreds of plants that have been operating around the world for many years and there hasn't been any major accidents besides Chernobyl. I don't understand how even the most hysterical person can deny the statistics.

I also find it very hypocritical for someone to willingly consume electricity but at the same time, oppose a viable, clean source of it that they have little to no knowledge. Its the 21st century and information is readily available to anyone who cares to seek it.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a rant but I always see the same unsubstantiated claims whenever this topic is debated.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:37 PM

709 posts, read 935,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
First of all, modern Nuclear plants don't explode like a nuclear bomb. They are powered by a different fuel than bombs. The worse case scenario is they meltdown so there is no "safe zone".

Secondly, you can't compare Chernobyl to modern Nuclear plants. Reactors today are designed to be safe despite possible operator error. They are a different design than the one used at Chernobyl and most of all, Chernobyl was UNCONTAINED. Radioactive materials don't make their way out of the vessel and produce fallout like it did at Chernobyl.

I also want to mention that people are exposed to all kinds of natural and unnatural radiation throughout the day and they don't even realize it. Even a banana contains potassium which is a radioactive element.

The reason this subject is debated so fiercely is because the arguments against nuclear power usually have no basis whatsoever. There are hundreds of plants that have been operating around the world for many years and there hasn't been any major accidents besides Chernobyl. I don't understand how even the most hysterical person can deny the statistics.

I also find it very hypocritical for someone to willingly consume electricity but at the same time, oppose a viable, clean source of it that they have little to no knowledge. Its the 21st century and information is readily available to anyone who cares to seek it.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a rant but I always see the same unsubstantiated claims whenever this topic is debated.
On point here.

We need to build as many nuke plants here in the states to have as much electricity that will be needed sooner than later. Heck we could then build desalinization plants and drink and use all the water we ever would need .

Old 10-29-2007, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 15,979 times
I am looking to move to NC but, when I found out about the Nuclear situation had to adjust my search... which I am still doing right today... where did you decided to move and why?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:51 PM

59 posts, read 151,650 times
Quote:
On point here.

We need to build as many nuke plants here in the states to have as much electricity that will be needed sooner than later. Heck we could then build desalinization plants and drink and use all the water we ever would need .
I agree. I think its irresponsible to put off the inevitable and prevent securing a better future. History will not look favorably on the US in this respect when the environment is in much worse shape than it had to to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary