Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM

60 posts, read 113,507 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Has anyone done ditched their cable TV provider for one of these types of setups? Would like to hear your opinions one way or the other. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 AM

357 posts, read 1,383,642 times
We canceled our cable box with TWC two years ago and can't be happier. We got a powered antenna and a TiVo, and get the free HD channels over the air. Then for other shows we use our Amazon Prime membership and do instant streaming. We also had Netflix at one point which had a wider variety than Amazon.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
I have a sony Blue Ray player BDP S series from best buy, it has a whole lot of apps, youtube etc...good enough for me! Also has browser functionality that you can control from your smart phone! no more cable

Old 03-28-2013, 12:00 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We are moving in that direction. We have a Roku box and an antennae Amazon.com: Leaf Plus Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna: Electronics

next up - getting rid of directv and getting a hulu plus subscription....we are working on the logistics - trying to figure out how to get the sports programming we want.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
....we are working on the logistics - trying to figure out how to get the sports programming we want.
I think (for now) the only way to get the various flavors of ESPN is through the cable/satellite providers.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I think (for now) the only way to get the various flavors of ESPN is through the cable/satellite providers.
Yeah - we want to be able to watch the (football) Giants but many of their games last year were on network t.v. anyway.

For baseball you can get a package through the computer and use an HDMI cable to link the computer to the t.v. and watch it.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:49 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
why anyone still uses cable or direct tv is beyond me. I watch everything you can imagine through my pc linked to tv with hdmi cord. Between netflix,hulu,let me watch this(the best) and movie2k. I was watching dvd screener versions of the hobbit and django while it was playing at the cinema. If you have good spam and virus programs installed you can pretty much stream anything that cable provides quicker,cheaper and easier.This goes for tv programs and documentaries as well.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:17 PM

34 posts, read 57,583 times
We've been without cable for 7 years and have never missed it. At first, we just used our pc hooked up to the tv. For the past few years we have used a Roku alternating with an Apple tv, watching shows on Netflix/Hulu+/Amazon instant video/itunes as the mood strikes us. And sometimes there still isn't anything on tv to watch but hey at least we aren't paying ridiculous prices for cable.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 PM

206 posts, read 310,552 times
I had dishand cable and ditched them both because I realized after several years all my favorite shows are on the major networks. I had gone over a year watching only ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox because I never saw anything woth watching on the other channels.

What I did was buy a $12 rabbit ears tv antenna at Walmart, it's digital and hd too, hooked it up to my 32 inch LCD HD tv and I get like 15 channels. I am saving about $100 a month. And get this, the HD pic I get with the rabbit ears looks better than HD cable! Sure I have no DVR now but I like watching shows when they come on, not the next day.

I suggest everyone give it a try. Ditch all services. If there is something on A&E or USA or Spike Tv, that I do want to see I go to there website, press watch the episode. Plug in the HDMI cable to the laptop and tv and it is a perfect picture.

Why is anyone still paying for tv?

Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM

328 posts, read 616,335 times
Like many have already said, we cancelled our cable and in its place have used hulu plus (8 bucks a month) and netflix (another 8 bucks) through appletv. Coupled with network tv, this has provided us with anything we could want to watch at a mere $16 per month. Consider it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary