Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,096,403 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few threads on this topic, but none that I could find that were recent and pertinent to my specific needs. I've posted similarly before, but not this specifically. Bash me if I've missed something

If YOU were house hunting with the following parameters, where would you look (I'm looking for specific nhoods to explore)?

-up to $275k
-3 or 4 beds with an extra room for an office or media room (nothing big, just secondary bedroom size)
-2000+ square feet
- neighborhood pool
- older kids/families--middle and high school level, adults in 30s/40s/50s (not exclusively, just fairly represented)
- small lot absolutely NOT a problem, but only if lots/community is heavily wooded/established.
- Not "starter home" if possible--were 40-something parents of kids who are finishing elementary school and up, not sure we'd feel strong affinity in a n'hood of 20-somethings with toddlers. We were there once, just aren't now and would like to make friends
- schools: West CAry/Davis Drive/Salem Middle and Green Hope/Panther Creek high (maybe Apex). I set this criterion bc this is where we are now and I don't want my kids to feel totally uprooted.

We are actually downsizing for a number of reasons, too many to get into here, so I'm nervous about what we'll find. We're ok with doing up to 25k or so in updates to get wood floors/new carpet and a little facelift on a kitchen or bath...but I am not a cook or particularly picky--more interested in solid built and friendly n'hood.

We are drawn to Park Village now and to Park West. though it's higher priced than we are looking for. However, there's precious little available now. I am envisioning walkable (strolling with dogs and kids), bike-friendly, pool community.

Am I missing some places? It's really clear to me that the Assignment office has done a nice job of excluding affordable housing from the Green Hope district, intentionally or not!

Anyone have feedback on nhoods over there between Cary Parkway and Davis Drive?

Any favorite but oft-overlooked nhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:25 PM

4,480 posts, read 11,634,500 times
I was going to suggest Oxxford Hunt, but the schools aren't the ones that you're looking for.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I was going to suggest Oxxford Hunt, but the schools aren't the ones that you're looking for.

Good luck with your search!
We have friends in Oxxford Hunt and it's really nice and ideal except for the schools. I have some health issues and really need my kids to be near people we know for help with pickup, etc. now and then. We know no one at Cary High.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:10 PM

22,695 posts, read 36,889,867 times
MacArther Park, but it doesn't have a pool.

Maybe Sherwood Forest or whatever that place is called down Davis Drive, past Park Village.

Devereaux, if you are open to Salem.

I would hold out for a house in P.V.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,325,033 times
You're already looking in the only place that'll fit all your criteria.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You're already looking in the only place that'll fit all your criteria.
Thanks. I was afraid of that. Houses there sell in 5 min flat and prices are shooting out of range, too.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,325,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Thanks. I was afraid of that. Houses there sell in 5 min flat and prices are shooting out of range, too.
Just be ready and willing to pounce. You'll find one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary