Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 AM

18 posts, read 38,137 times

Advertisements

How is the commute from Chapel Hill to Raleigh?

My husband has a job lined up in Raleigh and we would like to live in Chapel Hill due to good school system.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM

120 posts, read 253,983 times
Where are you moving from? What time is your husband coming and going? These answers will help answer expectations and estimates.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
I drive it every day. I live in NW Chapel Hill and work near Crabtree Valley Mall.

Generally, that commute on I-40 is against the major rush-hour flows morning and evening. So for the most part, traffic moves along and you can reasonably judge time based on distance (or a Google maps route). Obviously it depends on where at each end you're commuting to/from.

Two other observations:

First, if I-40 is fouled up, you're screwed. It happens every once in a while that there is an accident that significantly slows traffic, and once or twice a year there's a major accident that shuts down many lanes and brings traffic to a standstill. In those situations, a 30-minute commute can turn into two hours! Thankfully that's infrequent.

Second, be aware of local traffic patterns within Chapel Hill. For example, you might not want to make that commute from Southern Village in Chapel Hill as you'll have to drive through some heavy university/health system traffic locally on your way to the highway.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,093 times
Generally you will be going against the heaviest flow of traffic on I-40 which is (strangely enough) west from Raleigh in the morning, and east towards Raleigh in the evening. Due to the polycentric nature of the Triangle, traffic is really pretty heavy in both directions during rush hour, but thankfully our rush hour is short and mild compared to most bigger cities.

Carrboro is nice and generally less expensive than Chapel Hill and belongs to the same school system, but will add a good bit of time onto your commmute since it can definitely take a while to cross Chapel Hill. If you find you love Southern Village it might actually make sense to take the southern route on Farrington Road and US 64. Otherwise your best option would be to live closer to I-40, eg. the Weaver Dairy Road area.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM

BoSoxFanNC
we are moving from MD. We have not found a place yet in Chapel Hill. I just wanted to get an idea about the traffic condition. Also, are there local routes (which might be faster) that I can take to get to Raleigh, other than the highway?

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeginning125 View Post
Also, are there local routes (which might be faster) that I can take to get to Raleigh, other than the highway?
Generally, no.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM

40 posts, read 123,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Generally you will be going against the heaviest flow of traffic on I-40 which is (strangely enough) west from Raleigh in the morning, and east towards Raleigh in the evening. Due to the polycentric nature of the Triangle, traffic is really pretty heavy in both directions during rush hour, but thankfully our rush hour is short and mild compared to most bigger cities.

Carrboro is nice and generally less expensive than Chapel Hill and belongs to the same school system, but will add a good bit of time onto your commmute since it can definitely take a while to cross Chapel Hill. If you find you love Southern Village it might actually make sense to take the southern route on Farrington Road and US 64. Otherwise your best option would be to live closer to I-40, eg. the Weaver Dairy Road area.
Agree with this. I am living in temp housing in Southern Village and doing the commute to RTP. Most days 2/3 of my commute is getting to 40. So if you lived in the area near Meadowmont or Weaver Dairy Road as orulz says, I think you'd keep your sanity longer. If I lived in SV long term (we ended up deciding on NW Cary and close in June) I'd have to take the back roads or go in and leave early to avoid traffic. The first week I did the commute, I ran into two of those random days of accidents/traffic on 40 as previously mentioned. Two days of hour plus commutes had me cursing the decision but it (knock on wood) hasn't been bad since.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM

I am sorry I am not familiar with Chapel Hill. So which area in Chapel Hill has a closer commute to Raleigh. Which zipcodes?

Thank you

Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Don't go by zipcodes.

One way to think about it: Chapel Hill has 3 exits off I-40. The closest to Raleigh is the exit for NC54 (actually in Durham but as you proceed west you cross into Chapel Hill). The Meadowmont development someone referenced above is off NC54. Generally, that area is going to offer the shortest commutes. Do be aware that much of that area - even some north of I-40 - is labelled as Chapel Hill by the Post Office, but it's actually part of Durham County, which will have school implications.

Someone above also referenced the Weaver Dairy Road area (Homestead Road is another one in this area) for commuting. That's actually off the last of the 3 exits, but it does offer some housing options that are relatively close to I-40, both in Chapel Hill and northern Carrboro.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:24 PM

Thank you CHTransplant. Looks like the area that you mentioned at the end is good to be considered, since we want to stick to Chapel Hill School district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary