Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,587 times

Advertisements

Hi--so we are under contract on a 21yo home with a fair amount of hardwoods which are not in the best shape and have a much too shiny gloss on them for our taste. My assumption is that I can find a seasoned local pro and have these refinished before the move in.

Is there anything I should know? I am assuming that these are site finished wood floors and have indeed some life left in them. Can they be restained a new color? They are rather reddish and a gunstock or dark brown or even medium oak color would be preferable.

My husband is ready to rip them out but they cover nearly all of the first floor and when I see wood, I want to restore!

So....suggestions?!recommendations of a really good pro??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
You shouldn't have any problem sanding them down and re-staining them. I wasn't a fan of high gloss either till I had the satin finish done in my last house and they were scratched to hell in a couple weeks *sigh*.

Glad to hear you found a house! Was it in the geographic sphere you were hoping?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Is there anything I should know? I am assuming that these are site finished wood floors and have indeed some life left in them. Can they be restained a new color? They are rather reddish and a gunstock or dark brown or even medium oak color would be preferable.
I don't know Raleigh contractors, but we restored a 50 year old house with hardwoods in Baltimore County. You can definitely have them sanded down and refinished. We did 600 square feet for about $2000-2400. If you sand off the old stain, you can even re-stain them.

The PP has a good point about scratches. If you have a dog, their toenails are especially hard on wood.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 PM

650 posts, read 929,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Hi--so we are under contract on a 21yo home with a fair amount of hardwoods which are not in the best shape and have a much too shiny gloss on them for our taste. My assumption is that I can find a seasoned local pro and have these refinished before the move in.

My husband is ready to rip them out but they cover nearly all of the first floor and when I see wood, I want to restore!

So....suggestions?!recommendations of a really good pro??

Green Step flooring did ours as a local business. They did a great job and would highly recomend them. I do not know if you have real wood or a manufactured finish.

Here is their information:

Hardwood Floor Refinishing and Installation Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC

Old 05-18-2013, 01:04 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
Green Step flooring did ours as a local business. They did a great job and would highly recomend them. I do not know if you have real wood or a manufactured finish.

Here is their information:

Hardwood Floor Refinishing and Installation Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC
Thank you! I will contact them! I guess I foolishly assumed that engineered wood floors were a new thing. Hopefully these will work out. But, yes, I do have dogs. They have been hard on our wood floors here -- the prefinished type. Guess I need to keep that in mind, ESP. For hubby, who will be very upset!

Old 05-18-2013, 06:00 PM

677 posts, read 1,903,182 times
We used Green Step also in our home..they did a great job.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:08 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
I've used Fisher hardwoods-They did a great job!
(919) 523-5649

Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You shouldn't have any problem sanding them down and re-staining them. I wasn't a fan of high gloss either till I had the satin finish done in my last house and they were scratched to hell in a couple weeks *sigh*.

Glad to hear you found a house! Was it in the geographic sphere you were hoping?

Typically a satin finish doesn't show scratches nearly as much as a gloss finish. There can be a significant difference in the quality and hardness of the clears and stains.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,484 times
I second fisher hardwoods -- they did our house - taking it from a very dark stain to a much lighter one and did a gorgeous job. We had pets dogs/cats -- and the finish they used did not show scratches at all. can't remember what finish it was, but it wasn't hugely glossy.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM

413 posts, read 877,825 times
Another happy customer of Matt Fischer at Fischer hardwoods.
Ours were 50 years old and covered by carpet. He was excellent
and actually ahead of schedule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary