Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times

Advertisements

I have a friend with young kids and the Blockade Runner is their go to getaway, so I wouldn't be surprised to see kids there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You might like to check out Bald Head Island. It's very resort-like, with two country clubs and golf courses, no cars allowed on the island, but it's family-friendly, too. We stayed in a friend of a friend's house down there recently. I don't know if there are other options for lodging or not.

+ 1 for this, I was out there last year the house we rented had a pool shared between about 10 houses and the beach was pretty much empty compared to higher traffic beaches on the coast. It was very exclusive.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
+ 1 for this, I was out there last year the house we rented had a pool shared between about 10 houses and the beach was pretty much empty compared to higher traffic beaches on the coast. It was very exclusive.
If no cars are allowed, how do you get around? Or is the island so small that you can walk everywhere? If the latter, does it have a variety of restaurants, bars and 'other stuff' to do besides the beach? (I've heard that Bald Island is lovely, so I am quite curious about it.)

Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Golf carts. There are some shops and both clubs have restaurants. There are at least two other restaurants that aren't at the clubs, but I'm not aware of more than that. One is a brand new Mexican place. Bald Head is very self-contained and although it's a "village" it's very much unto itself and exclusive in all senses of that word. It is a public beach — people sometimes think it's a private island, but the ferry fee is pretty steep so people who aren't committed to staying there are unlikely to just pop over for the day. The oldest lighthouse in NC is at Bald Head and there's a mini-museum, but it's not the kind of thing that would take up a huge chunk of your time. It's well worth going, but you would have thoroughly explored it if you spent much more than an hour there. There is a place that rents things like kayaks, bikes, etc.

You could check out Figure Eight Island, too. It's just north of Wilmington.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,683 times
You might want to check out Salter Path/Pine Knoll Shores/Emerald Isle area. I think these are the nicest beaches -- easier to get to then the northern outer banks beaches (kitty hawk) and far nicer & less crowded than the wilmington beach scene. in my humble opinion!

There is a lot to do there - there is an aquarium, there is Beaufort, there is fort macon, and a movie theatre for a rainy day. Nice public access areas for pine knoll shores and emerald isle so you don't have to 'stay' on the beach to access different beach areas, it is far less crowded.

it is on the quieter side, but fantastic restaurants can be found and not so much golf...

note: I don't care for "atlantic beach" as a beach...but there is a pier (or was? Is it still there?) for fishing. so if you drive farther south, you get to pine knoll shores and emerald isle and those beaches are just gorgeously quiet, peaceful yet accessible.

have a great trip!

Old 05-20-2013, 03:38 PM

72 posts, read 128,310 times
This should be perfect for you A quick online search will give you lots of reviews.

http://www.sanderling-resort.com/

Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,608,065 times
Maybe rent a place in Kure Beach - that's now my go-to beach and since Carolina Beach next door is so family friendly, I think the beach at Kure is a little quieter. You've got the aquarium at Ft. Fisher right there and you can easily get to downtown Wilmington for the restaurants.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 AM

70 posts, read 141,618 times
Look at Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms in SC. Short drive to aquarium in Charleston. Gardens in the Charleston area date back 300 years. 4 to 5 hour drive.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 AM

112 posts, read 180,890 times
Head up to Virginia Beach. You can get there in about the same amount of time as it takes to get to the outer banks (3-1/2-4 hours). If you stay on one of the ends of the boardwalk and not in the middle you will have a great time.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,116,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As many of you know, we are new to the Raleigh area, having relocated here from Arizona just last year. We visited the Outerbanks last fall and enjoyed it, but I'd really like to go to a more resorty type place for a 3-4 day mid-week beach vacation.

We'd like a place that will not be overrun with kids if possible, but has the usual amenities of a heated pool, walking distance (if not right on) the beach, nearby restaurants, etc. Some other activities like nature, breweries, gardens or an aquarium (no golf) would be nice so we are not on the beach the entire trip.

We've visited Wilmington and it was okay, but never saw a beach that fits this definition (but we didn't look too hard either.)

Suggestions?
Personally I'd go to Wrightsville or maybe Bald Head Island, but BHI is very isolated and there are not a lot of activities there or choices for food/restaurants (lots of golf).
At Wrightsville, I'd stay the Bloackade Runner. There will be kids there but it's not really kid-centric like the Sunspree, so it doesn't have that "over run by kids and families" feel. There are several places to eat on the beach and LOTS of places to eat off the beach. Lots of activities do to around Wilmington: Arlie Gardens, breweries, shopping, historic stuff dowtown and plenty of nature things to do as well (pontoon boat tour of the sound, kayaking, bike riding as well as more adventurous activities.) You'll be walking distnace from the beach and most of the island shopping and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary