Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 5,720 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm thinking of buying a home in Scottish Hills - Cary. I've lived in Cary for some time before I moved to Brier Creek. This home would be my first home purchase and I would like to know if anyone here would recommend that neighborhood as a worthy option. I'm aware its an older neighborhood, but there are some things about Scottish Hills that I do like. My main concern would be the neighborhoods appeal for re-sale and if its a safe, quiet area.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Scottish Hills is a great neighborhood. We've looked at several houses there and we always needed to get a little more square footage for the money. Houses seem to turn over there pretty well.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
It is a good neighborhood, especially in a "The Real Cary" sort of way. The houses (not all, but most) do tend to have very long inspection lists though, a lot of deferred maintenance and systems aging out. If you can find one with a recent roof, HVAC, and no Hardboard siding, that will put you well ahead of the curve. It is a great place to live, had a lot of friends over there growing up.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 AM

I appreciate the responses. The house i'm looking at appears to be taken care of and i'm hoping I can purchase the house in this crazy market.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lito99 View Post
I appreciate the responses. The house i'm looking at appears to be taken care of and i'm hoping I can purchase the house in this crazy market.
You'd better hurry up and get an offer in then...

I'm in Highlands, which is very close by. Probably a little bit lower on the cost scale, and I've been very happy there. Just moved in in March, but I'm familiar with the area for a long time, and also have several friends who have lived here for a long time and helped me to decide.

If the house meets your needs, then it's probably a good bet. I don't think the values in this part of Cary are dropping any time soon (Unless the entire market crashes, but that is out of your control, and would apply to anywhere).

Old 06-12-2013, 06:13 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
I like in a neighborhood adjacent to SH and it's a very nice, safe area. Been here about 6 years. It's nice to have the larger lots and trees yet be super close to stores, doctors, etc.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I have a friend who grew up there, moved away, and now she and her husband and kids live in another house down the street from her old one. You've probably noticed that a lot of the houses are fairly small and have pretty much the same floor plan, but the neighborhood is mature (trees, etc) and seems to be extremely kid-friendly and the kind of place where neighbors do things together all the time, much more so than the newer 'hoods. I think it will hold its appeal.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM

Well it looks like I will be living in Scottish Hills. The trees are def one of the features I enjoy. It appears the sale prices have remained steady in the neighborhood according to the county records so I feel good about my new purchase.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lito99 View Post
Well it looks like I will be living in Scottish Hills. The trees are def one of the features I enjoy. It appears the sale prices have remained steady in the neighborhood according to the county records so I feel good about my new purchase.
Congratulations on your new home, lito99.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
and the kind of place where neighbors do things together all the time, much more so than the newer 'hoods. I think it will hold its appeal.
That's funny you mention that since in my old neighborhood in North Raleigh the neighbors basically did nothing together and in the first 2 months in our brand new neighborhood in Apex we've already had tons of gatherings with our n'hood (and block). There are tons of kids within 15 houses of us and my son and all of them play together almost every night.

I guess it really depends on the n'hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary