Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 09:04 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,772 times

Advertisements

All of the transfer taxes that were on the ballots in the area failed miserably.

This is perfect vindication to the discussion we had about giving county citizens the right to have a say - and how the NC Realtor's Association misrepresented the issue earlier this year.

The Johnston County vote, for example, should be a clear signal to the county gub'mint that the people don't want more hands in their pockets, and they will have to find other means to cope with needs and growth. aka fiscal responsibility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 09:44 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,750 times
Thank goodness!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/1932227-post4.html

Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 AM

281 posts, read 1,108,501 times
Default taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
All of the transfer taxes that were on the ballots in the area failed miserably.

This is perfect vindication to the discussion we had about giving county citizens the right to have a say - and how the NC Realtor's Association misrepresented the issue earlier this year.

The Johnston County vote, for example, should be a clear signal to the county gub'mint that the people don't want more hands in their pockets, and they will have to find other means to cope with needs and growth. aka fiscal responsibility
I must say that I was sure if the chance was given to vote by "the people" it would be shot down vs. speculation from a few voices in the past claiming Realtors need to hush and stop being greedy...it was never about us.

I would like to point out just something that came to mind......what percentage of voters (who actually went to vote) are homeowners?...my guess is very high. What if all renters went to vote? Different outcome? Just curious what the board thinks??!!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:07 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Barnes View Post
I must say that I was sure if the chance was given to vote by "the people" it would be shot down vs. speculation from a few voices in the past claiming Realtors need to hush and stop being greedy...it was never about us.

I would like to point out just something that came to mind......what percentage of voters (who actually went to vote) are homeowners?...my guess is very high. What if all renters went to vote? Different outcome? Just curious what the board thinks??!!

Hi, Stu....
I think it is a shame that the NCAR is the only public group that had a realistic grasp of the taxpayers' interests and concerns.
The only one.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,692 times
Perhaps, a better question may be...what percentage of homeowners were voters. What was turn out this election....8%, I think!

Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,772 times
I still maintain, regardless of the NCAR stance, that having the right to vote on the issue is a victory for the entire state. And that is what NCAR tried to deny all of us.

This is not about Realtors, period.

It's about local control over taxation and allowing the community to decide what's best, and thereby forcing county gub'mint to manage with only what we are willing to give.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 AM

842 posts, read 3,230,176 times
This is sad. These same people who voted down the land-transfer tax will be the ones complaining in ten years about inadequate infrastructure, and how it's all because of mismanagement by politicians.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 AM

148 posts, read 676,944 times
It does not matter that this one failed - the tax payer will still pay one way or another, the name of the tax will just be something else......

Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 AM

836 posts, read 3,470,692 times
Quote:
It does not matter that this one failed - the tax payer will still pay one way or another, the name of the tax will just be something else
I agree with you on this one. The money has got to come from somewhere, it can not be plucked out of the sky. The end result is that we all will be paying for it, whether directly or indirectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary