Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

Every year for as long as I can remember, volunteers have placed small American flags in front of every single home in Brentwood (about 1,400 homes, similar to a small town). It was started by a resident real estate agent and is now handled by the Brentwood Exchange Club.

I think it's SUCH a cool idea.

Of course, people fly their own flags as well.

Just wondering -- does any other subdivision in the area do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 12:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Yep. Just rode through a development in Cary that is full of them.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:39 PM

Yep. Just rode through a development in Cary that is full of them.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Two subdivisions in Cary?

Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 PM

Weird. That posted twice.

Probably are a lot of them in Cary that do this, truth to tell.

On edit: I would never have thought of comparing a neighborhood to a small town. Except for something like Carpenter Village (or maybe Bedford) where they built it specifically to give the impression of a small town.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Weird. That posted twice.

Probably are a lot of them in Cary that do this, truth to tell.

On edit: I would never have thought of comparing a neighborhood to a small town. Except for something like Carpenter Village (or maybe Bedford) where they built it specifically to give the impression of a small town.
Brentwood, with about 1,300 homes -- and conservatively, if we figure there are at least 2 people in each home, there are at least 2,600 people -- is bigger than many small towns in North Carolina:

http://www.city-data.com/city/North-Carolina3.html

...and as big as some slightly larger towns:

http://www.city-data.com/city/North-Carolina2.html

Volunteer "leaders" have emerged over the years, and so we have knowledgeable people who are sort of like the mayor, the assistant mayor, budget manager, events coordinator, event managers, and the "newspaper" (newsletter) editor, and many others. All without an HOA.

We also have an elementary school, a park, a small lake, and a fire department within the Brentwood subdivision.

So, yeah, it's most definitely like a small town.

A surprising number of people who have moved still keep in contact via social media. They seem to recognize the value of our friendly "small town" resources.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-29-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 09:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Just like a small town with no stores or jobs?

Sounds like a big neighborhood. Just like the thousand of others of big neighborhoods in the Triangle.

Glad to hear Brentwood still has at least one lake. I know the other dried up due to neglect.

Of course now they want the city to pay to repair it, but since the people of Brentwood have such great leadership and like to think of themselves as a "town" I suggest they and the "budget manager" step up to the plate and pay for it themselves... You know, like a real town would do.

RALEIGH: Dried lake leaves Brentwood neighbors with an eyesore | Local/State | NewsObserver.com

Old 06-30-2013, 05:21 AM

The 8 acres that was once a lake is now very nice natural land, as the photo shows.

The words were from someone who was unhappy about the loss of his lake.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Last year in Brier Creek, there appeared a line of flags stuck in the ground of the center medium (both sides) of Brier Creek Parkway from Glenwood down to Lumpy, about every 10 feet.
Doing the math, that's something like a thousand flags!!!
I looked and didn't see any signs saying who did this very cool thing. I hope it's done again as this time I'm going to pull over and take a few pictures.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,141 times
Default Brentwood Lake

[quote=North_Raleigh_Guy;30258046]Just like a small town with no stores or jobs?

Sounds like a big neighborhood. Just like the thousand of others of big neighborhoods in the Triangle.

Glad to hear Brentwood still has at least one lake. I know the other dried up due to neglect.

Of course now they want the city to pay to repair it, but since the people of Brentwood have such great leadership and like to think of themselves as a "town" I suggest they and the "budget manager" step up to the plate and pay for it themselves... You know, like a real town would do.

The original developer of Brentwood neglected to establish even the most basic HOA that would have collected monthly dues so the subdivision entryways and the lakes could have been maintained right from the start. The Brentwood Today lake failed because the dam was breached during a storm. It is now functioning very well as a wetland (this was confirmed by an expert in the reclamation field) and does a better job controlling pollutants than would a lake. This helps protect the lake that is further downstream that then drains into Marsh Creek. Anything that can be done to improve water quality is a good thing and a benefit to everybody. The original estimated cost to restore the lake was well over one million dollars. To leave the area as a wetland and do some stream bank restoration/stabilization work will cost about $50,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary