Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM

44 posts, read 48,101 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Triangle area in August. I would appreciate some good references for a primary, a dermotologist and an ENT doctor. Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:33 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
It would help if mentioned what insurance you have. Some primaries are not accepting any more Medicare patients (but plenty still do). Some physicians don't accept certain types of insurance. And several of the internists that were recommended to me simply had full practices and weren't accepting any new patients at all.

But with so many doctors in the Triangle, it wasn't really a big hassle. (Unlike the NC coast, where it is a big problem, I've learned.)

It would also help if you state your preferences, if any. Male/female, age range, and anything else you might feel is important.

I can tell you this: Husband and I have stuck with the Duke system since we got here last year. 110% happy campers. And medical care is generally something that I am a known skeptic about.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,429 times
it would also help if you mention what town you'll be in.

It seems like we have three major medical systems in the triangle - the UNC health system, Duke health system, and WakeMed.

Primary is easy, ENT and Derm less easy. I am making the assumption that your ENT issue is a primary factor and Derm secondary?

ENT Docs seem to be attached to a particular 'system' for OR privileges so it is worth understanding that before choosing one. Then, it depends on how extensive your ENT issues are, and whether you need coordinated care with your other docs (derm/primary care). If you do need coordinated care, stick within the same 'system'. If not, no worries - you can carry your pertinent records with you.

There seems to be a trend for primary care physicians that don't even worry about hospital privileges these days as they depend on hospitalists during the stay to care for you rather than going in to see you and take care of you while in the hospital. Just fyi in case this is not the norm where you are from. So sticking within a system seems to be less of an issue for primary care.

If you have something like diabetes, I'd pick providers within the same system that has integration of medical records between primary care and endocrinology..so the providers can share a medical record rather than having to bounce between a scenario of 'he/she said' and go back and forth. The meds/issues between ENT/Derm/Primary care may not need to be within the same medical record. It all depends on the level of care coordination that you need...and how much work (carrying medical records between providers) you want to do...

good luck!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Garner, Wake Forest? The Triangle is too spread out. Be more specific about locale.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:32 PM

44 posts, read 48,101 times
[quote=Jkgourmet;30466226]It would help if mentioned what insurance you have. Some primaries are not accepting any more Medicare patients (but plenty still do). Some physicians don't accept certain types of insurance. And several of the internists that were recommended to me simply had full practices and weren't accepting any new patients at all.

But with so many doctors in the Triangle, it wasn't really a big hassle. (Unlike the NC coast, where it is a big problem, I've learned.)

It would also help if you state your preferences, if any. Male/female, age range, and anything else you might feel is important.

I can tell you this: Husband and I have stuck with the Duke system since we got here last year. 110% happy campers. And medical care is generally something that I am a known skeptic about.[/QUOTE

Thank you - since I am moving here from out of state I will need to enroll in a new medicare advantage plan and would like to get a PPO. I am not sure what is a good choice in NC. I will be living in Raleigh and I think Duke would be fine if they accept my insurance. Only preference I guess would be a primary who will work with me and not be a pill pusher. The ENT and dermotologist will both be important for me due to past health issues. Thanks to each of you for your input.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:23 PM

494 posts, read 816,689 times
My dermatologist is Dr. Carol Trakimas. I've been a patient there and recently had an excision. I am very happy with her practice and quality of work. She is off of Six Forks Rd. in N. Raleigh. TDCOR-The Dermatology Center of Raleigh, NC

Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL11 View Post

Thank you - since I am moving here from out of state I will need to enroll in a new medicare advantage plan and would like to get a PPO. I am not sure what is a good choice in NC. I will be living in Raleigh and I think Duke would be fine if they accept my insurance. Only preference I guess would be a primary who will work with me and not be a pill pusher. The ENT and dermotologist will both be important for me due to past health issues. Thanks to each of you for your input.
I could be wrong, but if I understand Medicare Advantage Programs, NONE of them are PPO;s. The MA programs are more like HMO's where you can go to the facilities and practitioners on the approved list at no cost or a greatly reduced cost. If you want to go outside that list, you have to pay a lot more, perhaps even 100%.

I am not sure about this, because we did not choose a Medicare Advantage Program. The are definitely not suitable to out of state travel, which we do frequently. We want full control over our choice of physicians and facilities, and that means going with a Standard Supplemental Plan. If it costs us more (and I'm not sure it does), we have full flexibility and choice in our Medical choices. Well worth it.

Added to add: I used the term "OUR" repeatedly. I should have said "HIS." I am ineligible to Medicare as I am 10 years too yound. But I still would NEVER accept an HMO plan.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I could be wrong, but if I understand Medicare Advantage Programs, NONE of them are PPO;s.
I am currently in the Humana Medicare Advantage Plan, and I have a PPO option. I am on the coast, and it may not be offered in the Triangle. However, It is definitely not an HMO. I select my own doctor, and most of the local ones participate. I pay about $72/month above the Part B premium, but it also includes my Part D drugs. The generics are free under this plan, and the office visit deductible is $15, and you get a health club membership.

The OP should check with the Medicare plan selector in the zip code they would move to. Sorry, I can't help with a doctor reference.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I am currently in the Humana Medicare Advantage Plan, and I have a PPO option. I am on the coast, and it may not be offered in the Triangle. However, It is definitely not an HMO. I select my own doctor, and most of the local ones participate. I pay about $72/month above the Part B premium, but it also includes my Part D drugs. The generics are free under this plan, and the office visit deductible is $15, and you get a health club membership.

The OP should check with the Medicare plan selector in the zip code they would move to. Sorry, I can't help with a doctor reference.
GoldenAge, I've learned over the past few years here on NC-CD that you know your stuff, so may I ask a question (sorry if the mods get upset at me going off topic).

What coverage do you have with this plan if you choose a doctor or a facility that does NOT participate???

Old 07-14-2013, 12:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I could be wrong, but if I understand Medicare Advantage Programs, NONE of them are PPO;s. The MA programs are more like HMO's where you can go to the facilities and practitioners on the approved list at no cost or a greatly reduced cost. If you want to go outside that list, you have to pay a lot more, perhaps even 100%.

I am not sure about this, because we did not choose a Medicare Advantage Program. The are definitely not suitable to out of state travel, which we do frequently. We want full control over our choice of physicians and facilities, and that means going with a Standard Supplemental Plan. If it costs us more (and I'm not sure it does), we have full flexibility and choice in our Medical choices. Well worth it.

Added to add: I used the term "OUR" repeatedly. I should have said "HIS." I am ineligible to Medicare as I am 10 years too yound. But I still would NEVER accept an HMO plan.
Hi,

Actually MedAdvantage is simply the name for "Part C" and can be an HMO or a PPO. For instance, with BCBSNC, here are a couple of examples of the types of MedAdvantage plans they offer:

BlueMedicare HMO -- no coverage out of network, includes standard drug coverage
BlueMedicare PPO -- co-pay for in-network doctors and 20% for out of network, standard drug coverage
BlueMedicare PPO Enhanced -- out of network is generally the same cost as in-network, enhanced drug coverage

Most MedAdvantage plans include drug coverage, and everything I've heard says you don't need to get MedSupp if you have a MedAdvantage plan. However, JK's point about traveling out of state is a good one. I'd assume that there is coverage out of state, but I'm sure you could ask during enrollment time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary