Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:46 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

They like cold winters. This is the first time I've seen them blooming since we've moved here and I am seeing them everywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,310 times
We knew an old gardener who told us to put ice cubes at the base of the bush during the winter to get them to bloom. Don't know if that works, or not, but maybe worth a shot if next winter is mild.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Here is that Persian lilac bush I was talking about from about 4 years ago. (hoping attachment works) No ice cubes were placed at the base of the plant!
Attached Thumbnails
Will Lilacs grow in Raleigh?  Anyone have one?-lilacbushsummer2010_23.jpg  

Last edited by RoaminRebel; 05-05-2014 at 02:06 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 06:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We knew an old gardener who told us to put ice cubes at the base of the bush during the winter to get them to bloom. Don't know if that works, or not, but maybe worth a shot if next winter is mild.
Sounds pretty labor intensive and not very feasible. You would have to pack it in ice for months. Lil Kim is the best bet for lilacs here.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 PM

610 posts, read 746,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Here is that Persian lilac bush I was talking about from about 4 years ago. (hoping attachment works) No ice cubes were placed at the base of the plant!
Wow, that came out great. I may have to get one of these.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Sounds pretty labor intensive and not very feasible. You would have to pack it in ice for months. Lil Kim is the best bet for lilacs here.
Hey, just repeating what the old guy said! I can't remember to water my plants half the time let alone consistently put ice at the base to get a few flowers. We're butterfly bush people. Things bloom regardless of what we do to them. Including the one that has lived in a 1 gallon pot for 2 years that has somehow managed to survive.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Wow, that came out great. I may have to get one of these.
Thank you, but as a fellow gardener I must inform you that picture was from a few years ago prior to its bout with fire blight last year. I cut out the clearly affected twigs this past winter.. I haven't seen the bush this spring, but was told it has a lopsided appearance. Foliage has appeared though so maybe it can be trimmed to even it up after this growing season. It did fine for 6 or 7 years before that though.

In the background is a pomegranate that was nearly wiped out after being attacked by a beetle.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
NK - do you know if Lil Kim is resistant to fire blight?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Miss Kim (I misspoke calling it Lil Kim but when I googled Lil Kim Miss Kim info came up) is mildew resistant and supposed to remain on the smallish side but I have no info about fire blight. Here is some general info. Google miss Kim Lilac and be sure to read "I hate my Miss Kim".

Miss Kim Lilacs - Smaller Alternative to the Traditional Bushes

Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Miss Kim (I misspoke calling it Lil Kim but when I googled Lil Kim Miss Kim info came up) is mildew resistant and supposed to remain on the smallish side but I have no info about fire blight. Here is some general info. Google miss Kim Lilac and be sure to read "I hate my Miss Kim".

Miss Kim Lilacs - Smaller Alternative to the Traditional Bushes
In the "I hate my Miss Kim" thread, there is a poster who has what he thinks is a Persian lilac. It behaves similar to mine and sends up lots of shoots. The unsightly shape of mine was due to the excision of branches affected by the fire blight. There certainly seem to be some ambivalent opinions about Miss Kim..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary