Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 54,138 times

Advertisements

I just have a quick question, my now 2 year old will be 3 when we move. We plan on keeping her home the first year of transition. But here in California, she would be starting Pre-K when she's 4...does that exist in NC? I did a search and did not come up with anything. I found some threads about pre-school but again not sure if that's the same thing. Here in CA pre-school usually starts at 3 years of age--and is "play based", Pre-K is academic and gets them ready for Kindergarden (the new K structure that is SO different than when I went to Kinder). Pre-K programs out where I live now, are mostly private unless you have a financial need and then you can get into a public program...is that what it's like in NC? Here in California, parents are told they HAVE to send their kids to Pre-K if they want them to survive Kinder...I think that's sad but such is life here.
Thanks,
April
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 11:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,211,747 times
I've only heard of public pre-K for low income kids "Head Start".

Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,994,188 times
They used to have preschool here, but I dont think it exists anymore. Now a days, daycares have really helped children prepare for kindergarten.
I would do a search online for "jumpstart" .

Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 PM

275 posts, read 1,116,049 times
Yes, I think there is something called a "more at four" program, but its low income. I did see a preK classroom at our kids elementary school, and I think this is one these programs.

My kids just started K (year round), and they sure do expect alot..way more than when we were kids! They attended a great preschool at a church here...and I thought it was reasonably priced. $170/mo for 3 half days. They really prepared them for K.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:53 PM

959 posts, read 4,499,249 times
In this area the word "preschool" is used interchangeably for daycare or what I've always considered preschool which is a few hours two or three times a week and some combination of social and academic.

The primary way small children learn is by playing with toys and pretending so I personally don't see the need to introduce academics to them any earlier than Kindergarten. My two older guys have gone to a preschool that was heavy on the social (art, music, circle time, playtime, manipulatives) with lessons built in teaching shapes, colors, seasons, numbers... The first few months of Kindergarten my 6yo learned the exact same stuff he'd learned in preschool

Children in general LOVE preschool, but is it necessary for every child...not in my opinion. It's definitely important for them to reach Kindergarten able to listen to the teacher, follow directions, and relate well with the other children. But there are other ways to accomplish that than preschool. Mommy groups, playgroups, playdates, gym/music/etc and if you're really motivated - you can do preschool homeschool.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM

478 posts, read 2,048,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhalc View Post
My kids just started K (year round), and they sure do expect alot..
For us, it's just the opposite, we cannot believe how little our child is doing in Kindergarten, compared to his schooling before we moved here (they start school at 4 years of age in the UK). Plus, teacher sends home communication to parents full of typos.

I think preschool and Pre-K can be very different. Chesterbrook Academy, imo, is a good example of a fab Pre-K programme (in Cary).

Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,054,735 times
There are definitely private preK programs, like chesterbrook. I always think of preschool as part time, couple of days a week. Daycare is full time care for working parents.

The public prek programs are generally for students who may need special prep before school starts (like english may be their second language, smart start, etc)

I know there are some preschools (the one my daughters attend) that have transitional kindergarten classes for kids for kids who may just miss the cut off for kindergarten, etc. Those classes usually meet 5 days a week, 3 hours a day.

Leigh

Old 07-25-2007, 06:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,156,090 times
Most private preschools have curriculum based pre-K. Usually it's a preschool, they start at age three with a loosley knit curriculum and play school for that age. It's generally 1/2 day. Then the last year in preschool before they enter kindergarten is curriculum based in accordance with the public school kindergarten curriculum. They even usually give you an assessment at the end of the year as to where your child stands with kindergarten readiness. Many private preschools now also offer what is called a transitional Pre-K year for children whose parents feel they aren't ready for regular kindergarten, not necessarily academically, but socially. They basically teach the same public kindy curriculum, but in a smaller, more intimate setting. More and more parents are choosing this option as kindergarten is actually legally not required in NC.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 AM

85 posts, read 297,691 times
Default all day or half a day

in nc is kindergarten all day or half a day?

in michigan its all day in most districts and they can start between ages of 4-6
we have day cares here but they are different from pre-schools

preschools are just that school for 3-4 to get them ready for kindergarten

Old 07-26-2007, 10:19 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,054,735 times
In NC, kindergarten is all day, and the "all day" depends on which school you are in as to when it begins and ends. Some begin at 745 and end at 215, while others are 830 to 300. I do not know of any public kindergartens that are half day in this area.

Children do not have to begin school, in wake county, until they are 7 years old......................interesting.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary