Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times

Advertisements

Okay, now we are going to consider an alarm system in our home.
  • We definitely want wireless.
  • We definately don't what to pay $99/month for monitoring (that's what CPI quoted when they stopped by the house yesterday to drop off sales material to the entire neighborhood).
  • We do have dog and he's a small, very friendly guy. Useless for security, but might well interfere with motion detectors.
  • We know nothing about alarm systems (never had one, never needed one, never wanted one).
  • The burglars in the neighborhood are primarily entering through windows, during the day and night, when the homeowners are not at home.
We are installing motion lights in the back of our home, which is on a corner so exposed to the street. We have timers on some interior lights for when we are not at home. Home is one level, on a slab, 2000 square feet.

Please, if you are going to suggest a guard dog, don't. I've had a doberman, loved her, she was great, but it doesn't fit into our lifestyle at this point in our lives and would be cruel to the dog.

Please don't suggest a gun - for a variety of private reasons, I will not have one in the house, so please respect that and leave it out of the conversation.

Suggestions for specific systems, what those systems should include, and companies I should call (or maybe go with the self-install route?) are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:27 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,367 times
Default The Alarm Man

I can't comment on the actual system since mine was installed by the builder. I think its Honeywell and the security company said its a good one...but that's all I know.

In terms of monitoring, I would highly recommend the Alarm Man. It is a local NC company, much lower monitoring fees but monitoring is by the same central service center the bigger, nationwide companies use (and charge much more for).

Alarm Man of NC, LLC, Durham, NC

Since I moved in over 2 years ago, I've expanded my system and made a couple changes. I think they've come out a total of three times for these additions, and it was always the same guy, which I appreciated. He seems very knowledgeable about the system so I would ask if they can give you some recommendations on systems.

And since you mentioned windows (which has been an entry point in break-ins in my neighborhood) there are extra locks you can buy at Lowes. This is an example of one for a sliding door, but I got slightly smaller ones with one screw for my downstairs windows.

Shop Gatehouse Double Screw Aluminum Finish Sliding Patio Door Cylinder Lock at Lowes.com

Last edited by fly_widget; 07-29-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,274 times
I have an ADP system. Monitoring was a bit high but the system was installed for free. I think it was $30 a month. We kept it two years and now we just use it as a noise maker. We had one false alarm when a door sensor popped off the door due to excessive heat. The door got the afternoon sun and the double sided tape gave out. I have changed 1 battery in 6 years. All the rest still working on original batterys. Signs and stickers still on the windows.... Cops showed within 15 minutes. I happened to get home at the same time....

Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM

49 posts, read 89,803 times
Ours is the GE Concord based system and we have ABV monitor it (or whoever handles their monitoring).

I used to be the Prez of my HOA and during my tenure we had quite a number of break-ins.

Based on what we experienced, I would recommend contacts on doors and any window that can be accessed without a ladder (probably since you are one story all windows can be) and motions on all vistas/zones that are main transit areas of your house (basically you don't want intruders to be able to move from one area of your house to another without tripping it). Glass shatter detectors can be added as well, but we have accidentally set these off once when something fell.

Since the marginal cost of doing so is small, I would suggest adding fire and carbon monoxide. One final thing I would recommend is a water/drip detector behind your fridge (these can be integrated into the system): while I was Prez one house in our neighborhood had a water hose at the back of the fridge fail and the flood cost was $$$.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I have an ADP system. Monitoring was a bit high but the system was installed for free. I think it was $30 a month. We kept it two years and now we just use it as a noise maker. We had one false alarm when a door sensor popped off the door due to excessive heat. The door got the afternoon sun and the double sided tape gave out. I have changed 1 battery in 6 years. All the rest still working on original batterys. Signs and stickers still on the windows.... Cops showed within 15 minutes. I happened to get home at the same time....
Thank you. That's the wired system price, not the wireless. Wireless us closer to $100/month, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agingdisgracefully View Post
Ours is the GE Concord based system and we have ABV monitor it (or whoever handles their monitoring).

I used to be the Prez of my HOA and during my tenure we had quite a number of break-ins.

Based on what we experienced, I would recommend contacts on doors and any window that can be accessed without a ladder (probably since you are one story all windows can be) and motions on all vistas/zones that are main transit areas of your house (basically you don't want intruders to be able to move from one area of your house to another without tripping it). Glass shatter detectors can be added as well, but we have accidentally set these off once when something fell.

Since the marginal cost of doing so is small, I would suggest adding fire and carbon monoxide. One final thing I would recommend is a water/drip detector behind your fridge (these can be integrated into the system): while I was Prez one house in our neighborhood had a water hose at the back of the fridge fail and the flood cost was $$$.
Thank you. Excellent suggestions. One question: How can we have motion detectors with a dog? He is crate trained, but we don't leave him in the crate all the time.

And, since you clearly know what you are talking about, may I ask: Do ALL alarm systems come with the exterior alarm so that the neighbors know something is going on? In our close knit and closely placed home community, that would probably be more of a deterrent than a system that autocalls the police.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:29 PM

One other thing: consider an auxiliary siren: it is stunningly loud and the noise can really deter.

By the way, I know you said no guns, but I would at least have one of those big spray cans of mace they use for bears. It is non-lethal but very effective (I tested it on myself: it is awful). I would consider a collapsible baton or taser maybe.

Just something beyond just the alarm. I once had a friend with all the alarm system you can buy. But the intruder was whacked out on drugs, didn't give a damn about the system going off and kept pushing in. It took the cops some time to arrive. Not saying this is a common occurrence, but it did happen.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Thank you. That's the wired system price, not the wireless. Wireless us closer to $100/month, I believe.

Thank you. Excellent suggestions. One question: How can we have motion detectors with a dog? He is crate trained, but we don't leave him in the crate all the time.

And, since you clearly know what you are talking about, may I ask: Do ALL alarm systems come with the exterior alarm so that the neighbors know something is going on? In our close knit and closely placed home community, that would probably be more of a deterrent than a system that autocalls the police.
We bypass the room our dog is in, but that is necessary b/c she is a large breed. With smaller dogs you can have motions normed to a weight (eg designed only to pick up a body more than 50 lbs in motion).

You can have an exterior alarm on, but that requires a lot of discipline (I write this having accidentally set off my alarm half a dozen times over the years).

Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 PM

328 posts, read 767,191 times
I have cats and the alarm can be set on "Stay" which accounts for animal movements sensed by the motion detectors. Now if they start opening doors, we'll have a problem

Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
I have cats and the alarm can be set on "Stay" which accounts for animal movements sensed by the motion detectors. Now if they start opening doors, we'll have a problem
You can get motions that will not pick up a cat or small dog.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM

285 posts, read 836,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Okay, now we are going to consider an alarm system in our home.
  • We definitely want wireless.
  • We definately don't what to pay $99/month for monitoring (that's what CPI quoted when they stopped by the house yesterday to drop off sales material to the entire neighborhood).
  • We do have dog and he's a small, very friendly guy. Useless for security, but might well interfere with motion detectors.
  • We know nothing about alarm systems (never had one, never needed one, never wanted one).
  • The burglars in the neighborhood are primarily entering through windows, during the day and night, when the homeowners are not at home.
We are installing motion lights in the back of our home, which is on a corner so exposed to the street. We have timers on some interior lights for when we are not at home. Home is one level, on a slab, 2000 square feet.

Please, if you are going to suggest a guard dog, don't. I've had a doberman, loved her, she was great, but it doesn't fit into our lifestyle at this point in our lives and would be cruel to the dog.

Please don't suggest a gun - for a variety of private reasons, I will not have one in the house, so please respect that and leave it out of the conversation.

Suggestions for specific systems, what those systems should include, and companies I should call (or maybe go with the self-install route?) are appreciated.
Check out Wiley Systems - good local company that were recommended to me. System is wireless with cell (no landline), can control it from the smartphone - the system is via alarm.com. Paid up front for the year of monitoring (on second year now), and was reasonably priced - $30ish a month

By the time you add the small dedication from the home insurance, it works out to be a worthwhile investment, in my opinion anyway

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary