Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:03 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,530 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving down to our new home in Clayton (hopefully in next few months) and will be in need of all new appliances. As such we are considering a Propane stove/range (we like gas cooking vs electric). Since we would be installing a large enough tank for it and the gas fireplace, we are also thinking about running a tankless water heater as well. Any folks in the area running such a setup ? If so, what size tank would be needed to not require frequent fill ups ? We hope it would be more cost effective and more efficient in the long run (and not just making Hank Hill happy ;-)). Its all sort of new to us and want to make the right choice for the long term. Our thought process (due to where we are coming from) is the less running off electric, the better. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
We just talked to a plumber today about a tankless water heater but ours would run on natural gas. He said no matter what do not allow anyone to talk you into a tank that would put out less than 8.5 gallons per minute which he said would allow 3 showers to be running at the same time in the winter and 4 in the summer. The one downfall would be that if the power goes out so does your hot water unless you have a generator because it is an electronic ignition for the heating element as opposed to a pilot light in a traditional water heater. Our water heater is in the attic which is why we are seriously considering replacing our water heater with a tankless. The plumber stated the tankless is more efficient than a traditional water heater so it uses less gas. I hope this helps you out at least a little bit.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:48 PM

29 posts, read 119,142 times
Default andy, andy, andy

Haven't you been listening to the news? Stay away from any source of heating, other than electricity. The costs are going threw the roof.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:30 AM

62 posts, read 406,981 times
we're putting in a tankless water heater in 2 weeks for the same reasons cncsmomndad mentioned, water heater in the attic. The 8.5 gpm depends on the temperature rise, which is the difference between the temp of the water coming into the house and the set point of the water heater. The larger units are not necessarily better if you have to raise the temp of the incoming water by 50 degrees or more. You should check with the propane company to see if they carry and install the heaters. I know PSNC sells and installs Natural Gas tankless heaters.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,530 times
Thanks to all for the replies. NG is not an option where we will be. Electricity generally costs alot for heating, and with oil prices rising, so will the cost of generating/buyng power. The more oil goes up here on Long Island, the higher the surcharges the local utility applies. Our bills doubled from the surcharges a few ago after the katrina oil crisis. I am not sure how the majority of electricity is produced down there at this point and how much comes from the nuclear plant, but in reality, there is no escape from rising oil prices no matter what form of energy is used (aside from solar or systems based on geo-thermal energy, etc). Electric rates will probably be impacted, just how much will be the question. We may sit on the idea of the tankless heater for a while and will probably just make sure we get a big enough tank to accomodate it in case we decide to go with it. We'll see what the costs are for the propane for cooking/fireplace and our electric costs for heating/hot water with the system the house came with, etc. Thanks again. For those installing the tankless water heater, keep me posted on how that works out for you. Good luck as well to you guys.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
My sister has a tankless water heater, and they haven't had any problems, they love it! Their house came with one, so they don't necessarily know the different in that particular house, and they have not ever been without power for long periods of time. They are quite happy with it and the water heats up in all of the bathrooms quickly (the tankless is in the garage) and two bathrooms are upstairs, seems to have no problems traveling.

Leigh

Old 11-12-2007, 07:51 PM

120 posts, read 206,343 times
Default Look at Maine and the effects of the rising in heating oil costs

The majority of the state uses heating oil for residential homes. They feeling the crunch.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 PM

75 posts, read 413,967 times
Just make sure to get a large enough flow that you have plenty of pressure to wash dishes/clothes & still get faucet/shower flow.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 PM

170 posts, read 1,014,704 times
FWIW:
I researched tankless when my w/heater went out early this year. I have Nat.gas and figured based on my needs the added expense of setup would take many years to pay back the minimal savings, by then the tankless would need replacement of pricey parts. Some tankless systems do not need electricity (e.g.Bosch). PSNC talked down the Bosch system based on their outdated information. Also keep in mind one must maintain 1gpm flow on the hot side to maintain warm water, otherwise you get a shot of cold water when you least expect it (from research/not experience).

It has been nice with Nat.gas to offer showers to neighbors during the few extended power outages. Tankless requiring electricity can hook to smallish UPS as the current draw is small if yours doesn't need a forced air vent.

I hear our electric rates are much less than other parts of the country. All our electric comes from the nuclear plant, unless it shuts down for maintenance -when they pull power off the 'grid'.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:20 AM

24 posts, read 72,656 times
I am a HUGE fan of tankless hot water heaters! We had one in our home in MA and I can't stress enough how freakin' awesome it was! AND we got a $300 credit on our federal taxes for installing it! I don't know if they still offer that, but it was a nice little bonus. And we used propane for heating our home and hot water, as NG was not in our street. I could take a shower and stay in the glorious hot water for hours if I wanted, all while the dishwasher ran, my son took a shower in the other bathroom AND the washing machine was going with a hot water load! NEVER ran out of hot water! I so miss that down here. That is one of the upgrades we will be doing in our home downhere, too. But since we had to replace the kitchen counters and other such things, and the hot water tank is running fine at the moment, the tankless system will just have to wait until next year. Only problem with waiting, if I am the 3rd one to take a shower in the morning, I am Moderator cut: bleep outta luck having enough hot water to get all the way thru my shower! Yep, I miss the tankless we had...

Last edited by autumngal; 09-10-2008 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary