Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:05 PM

120 posts, read 296,448 times

Advertisements

Any words of wisdom or ideas to help them feel at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 12:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
I suppose it depends on their age, interests, and what type of town/living they are moving from. And, where they are moving to, specifically.

The Triangle is perennially listed as a great place to retire. Whereas some "big city" types might think we're too small town, if they're truly older they may like our level of activity.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:11 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,760,274 times
I am retiring in the Triangle. I live kinda midway between NYC and Philadelphia. Rarely if ever go to either city. Unless you're the type to run in to see sporting events or arts and theater I doubt they will feel out of place.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:11 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I suppose it depends on their age, interests, and what type of town/living they are moving from. And, where they are moving to, specifically.

The Triangle is perennially listed as a great place to retire. Whereas some "big city" types might think we're too small town, if they're truly older they may like our level of activity.
Agree - where are they moving to? My parents live at Carolina Preserve which takes care of most of their entertainment. I have friends whose parents are big on going to the Cary Senior Center at Bond Park.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarolinaGuy View Post
Any words of wisdom or ideas to help them feel at home?
Take them to restaurants that are similar to the ones they ate at in NJ. Some feel at home at Big Ed's. Others at Vin
Rouge.

Help them get involved in activities where they are likely to encounter people their own age with similar interests.

Senior Centers are great for some. Others might find the following more their cup of tea.

Encore Program for Lifelong Learning (NCSU) https://onece.ncsu.edu/mckimmon/divi...core/index.jsp

Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (Duke) Osher Lifelong Learning Institute -- Duke Continuing Studies

Carolina College for Lifelong Learning (UNC) UNC General Alumni Association :: CCLL |

Take them around to the Farmers Markets, grocery stores... Help orient them to the community.

Help them find a comfortable home where it will be easy for you to drop by regularly.

Nothing will help them feel at home more than regular contact with family members.

Good luck.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,263 times
Hey new carolina guy! I'm your mother, not your grandmother.... Not ready for the senior centers yet!!! But could use advise on book clubs, gyms and fun biking stuff in Morrisville area.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursepeg View Post
Hey new carolina guy! I'm your mother, not your grandmother.... Not ready for the senior centers yet!!! But could use advise on book clubs, gyms and fun biking stuff in Morrisville area.
LOL...y'all are soooo funny! I'm glad you are on the way!!!

Vicki

Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursepeg View Post
Too funny.

So many parents have followed their kids to this area that I if there isn't a MeetUp group, there ought to be one.

Welcome!

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-19-2013 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I can personally recommend the Raleigh Newcomer's Club - very appropriate for this age range. Wake Forest goes to this one.

I know Chapel Hill, Durham and Cary have similar groups.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 PM

120 posts, read 296,448 times
Haha - your Grammy P from now on! No your to ready for an old fokes home...yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary