Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,983,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Up north, kids generally start strings in 4th grade and band instruments in 5th in elementary school.
In my experience this was true for the northeast, but not the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,397,216 times
The Durham Public Schools website does say that some of their magnet elementary schools have an arts & music focus and one is specifically mentioned as offering Suzuki violin: Magnet Schools — Kindergarten and Schools — Schools of Choice .

There are several elementary schools in the magnet program in WCPSS, too, but I can't tell if in their music offerings they teach instruments. WCPSS:*Magnet Schools .

Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 AM

30 posts, read 42,071 times
At poppydog...wow that's great but for a parent without a car moving to Raleigh, many other people told me without a car it's best to do most things within Raleigh where i'm moving to. Do you agree? I don't want it to be a hassle to travel to far from home for her schooling.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,983,678 times
This is not a place in which it's easy to live without a car. It is suburbia spread over many miles.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 AM

I would expect the music program at any elementary school to really depend on the teacher. My youngest goes to Carrboro Elementary and the music program there is...hmmm...less than challenging, but enjoyable anyway? However, the art teacher is really a drama teacher in disguise and puts on an amazing school play each year which sometimes is a musical. I would expect that somewhere in CHCCS there is an exceptional elementary music teacher, too.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM

If you don't have a car you might want to look at Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Free city buses. It's a comparatively easy place to be car-free. Raleigh would be tough w/o a car, I'd think.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM

30 posts, read 42,071 times
Ok CHTransplant and poppydog..I only studied Raleigh as far as moving. I don't know much about the town of Chapel Hill/Carrboro.
I need to start looking into it, to see if this is indeed the best option for me. I did want to be in the city that's why I like Raleigh. It has the suburbs and city life I was looking for.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,695,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I always thought that maybe the reason kids didn't learn wind instruments until 6th grade was because their jaws/teeth were still developing. Hard to play the trumpet if you're missing your two front teeth.
I suppose the teeth thing could be a factor, but the bottom line is that it is very expensive to provide band and orchestra in elementary schools. Starting in middle school just makes sense logistically and financially.

My kids started orchestra in 4th and band in 5th and here is what I observed....many kids at that age lacked the maturity to dedicate themselves to an instrument. By 7th grade a LOT of kids dropped the instrument, and by high school, they were struggling to get kids to stay in band or orchestra. It was pretty embarrassing when high schools of more than 1000 students couldn't put together a marching band of more than 40 kids.

We knew plenty of kids who had private lessons before school programs started. Since it would be a drag for them to be so far advanced, they would just learn a second instrument in the school program. That could be an option for the OPs child.

There is no shortage of music instructors in Raleigh.

Also, kids who are learning an instrument benefit from a certain level of music theory education before starting (you can learn both at the same time, it just moves faster if you can read music prior to learning the instrument). The music education my girls got in K-3 was much more advanced (they played recorder in 3rd, not 4th). When my daughter got to high school here in Raleigh, the chorus teacher was shocked that she knew how to read music. Apparently, very few of her students do.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,360,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMarshall05 View Post
At poppydog...wow that's great but for a parent without a car moving to Raleigh, many other people told me without a car it's best to do most things within Raleigh where i'm moving to. Do you agree? I don't want it to be a hassle to travel to far from home for her schooling.
It is difficult to live here with no car. It is also difficult to live here as a single parent making the type of wages that came up in your other thread.

I'm not sure how music lessons and riding lessons would be remotely feasible, even if you could overcome the transportation issue.

I wish you the best, but have you investigated the costs of living here, the lack of mass transit, etc?

Old 08-19-2013, 11:28 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,360,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you don't have a car you might want to look at Chapel Hill/Carrboro. Free city buses. It's a comparatively easy place to be car-free. Raleigh would be tough w/o a car, I'd think.
Do think that CH-Carrboro would be doable on 9-11 dollars an hour? With a child and music and/or riding lessons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary