Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,100 times

Advertisements

Yep, the big palmetto bug roaches aren't anything to be worried about in terms of an infestation or whatever. Once in a while one will get into our house.

Spring/summer after we moved in four and half years ago we had the house sprayed inside and out to keep them out. Lasted about two years really before we started seeing any getting in again, then had the house sprayed again, but this time only outside. That's worked well too...no bugs showing up inside, and we're still occasionally getting a dead one in the garage, so the spray is still working. Probably have another exterior spray next spring, as I imagine it will have worn off by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM

219 posts, read 483,771 times
Roaches make me scream my brains out. Normal or not, I don't want them anywhere near me! ARRGGHH.

Quarterly pest control on the perimeter, inside too if you're ok with that (I am compared with the alternative), and try to make sure no vegetation is touching your house at all.That's tough I know, but one exterminator told me that when it does, you're giving ants and other bugs a bridge right onto and then into your home!

I also will be treating periodically with Bifen, inside and out.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 PM

115 posts, read 277,044 times
I moved into an older townhouse in Raleigh a few years back and had issues after moving in. I hired Bulwark Exterminating and they have been fantastic. It's about $70 billed every other month for outside perimeter treatment, and they will come back free of charge if you need the inside treated. Their techs do the job well. Where I live, there's plenty of critters outside, so I've kept my service with them and the perimeter treatment keeps most insects out of my home.

Occasionally, I'll find a roach in the house, but he's either dead, or dying from the poison. If you need service inside, these guys not only will spray in the common areas, but also will leave bait traps near your cabinets in the kitchen. They're well equipped to handle anything.

Earwigs are what usually sneaks into my house.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM

292 posts, read 507,643 times
I think on occasional roach in the house is normal around here. I've seen maybe 2 inside the house over the last year, more outside on the deck and occasionally in the garage. I usually just pick up cheap roach baits from the grocery store and after putting them down that's the last I see until the next year. I've done the boric acid thing in the past but it seemed messier with same results.

Earlier in the spring had some ants come up through an AC vent, did same with baits and problem solved.

I don't know that I'd spend a lot on professional services for this unless the problem is growing or is much more prevalent than described in original post. If you moved from an apartment that had a roach problem into your house you might have brought some critters with you, but it usually resolves over time with aforementioned bait treatments.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM

149 posts, read 206,710 times
First of all, I need to establish this ... we ARE talking large roaches, right?

American ones are coppery- or reddish-colored and have an hourglass-like shape on the back of their heads. We also get Smoky Browns and other Wood Roaches. (I use the term "other" because technically, Americans and Smokies ARE wood roaches. But when I refer to "wood roaches", I mean ones like the Pennsylvania wood roach, though that one is actually a little on the smallish size.)

If they're German or Oriental ... exterminator. ASAP. Don't mess around. I'd probably get treatment if you see a lot of brown-banded ones as well. The thought of them behind my light switchplate or in my pantry got me a little queasy (I got some of those in my basement one year), but that might be just me. And they are controlled a little differently than other cockroaches.

If they're American/Smoky Brown/other wood roach and they are outside ... I see those all over my neighborhood. They tend to like the sewer holes and drains. If you see just a couple outside, be on the lookout, but don't get too stressed .... yet ... particularly if you live near wooded areas. I'm afraid you really can't get rid of them completely.

One or two large ones inside the house .... again, be on the lookout, but don't be terribly concerned .... yet. If you're nervous, you can go the boric acid route (Harris roach bait), or put a little Advion gel under the sinks. I keep a spray bottle with some liquid soap and water. I use a little dish soap, mixed in with a bit of the Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap (just a little dab'll do ya ... I buy the travel size and use the rest when I bathe. The stuff smells nice and lathers well.) Spritz those critters when you see them, and soak 'em well. That often slows them down enough to squish them, or if you're really good and soak the belly, kill them without squishing (though I squish them anyway, just to be sure). Be careful of those with egg sacs. Make sure you get the sac flushed down the toilet. Heck, I usually give most roaches a water burial, egg sac or no.

I do NOT like the roach sprays one bit. Don't like inhaling the stuff, and particularly don't like spraying it around people and food. And the soapy spray usually doesn't stain, though as always, be careful around delicate wood and fabric.

If you see several in the house, you might want to get an exterminator. I had that problem one year, and have a spraying outside a few times a year now just in case. They had seemed to like to show up when we were either exhausted or entertaining. Visitors have this weird thing about seeing a roach during a get-together .... Of course, follow roach-reducing steps as well if you see several of them. You might have to contemplate why they seem so attracted to your house and take proper measures, such as yellow lights for the completely harmless variety of wood roaches that fly in your house because they are attracted by the light and freak you out before they die. I almost feel bad for these guys. They are harmless, but their cousins enjoy such a great reputation. Pretty much a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. One might also have to reconsider certain aspects of housekeeping.

Terro for the ants, by the way. I found that was the only thing that worked for me. Or you can make a concoction using boric acid, which is a chemical in Terro. There are a few concoctions on the Net.

Last edited by gazania; 08-28-2013 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 PM

224 posts, read 432,293 times
They are very creepy but normal around here. We just moved from a house that was built on a slab and we never got them--moved 15 mins away to a house with a crawl space and have seen a dozen in the first few weeks. I swear they usually come inside just to die and I find them lying on the floor (either that or they are faking). Because of our toddlers, we put filters inside our floor vents--they kept throwing toys in there--and I've definitely noticed a decrease in bugs. I think we saw more when we moved in because it had rained SO MUCH.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
there is a place on line called do your own pest control which has great products as delta dust which would help.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM

120 posts, read 248,600 times
Hmm thank you for all the replies. Getting a wide variety of opinions as I said in my OP

If I had to guess I'd say they are the German ones...bleh. Still haven't seen any but I fear they are biding their time in my crawlspace or something.

I have some of the nasty outdoor spray but it was more intended for spiders. I hate the sprays though...I feel like they are always getting in my eyes. I'll probably buy some of the boric acid traps and see if any more turn up.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,994 times
If you have wooded areas around your home then you will see roaches in the house. Parameter sprays don't work well for flying roaches and they love trees. So whether you have the house treated or not you'll still have some critters that get through the surface barriers and into the house.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,100 times
The German ones are fairly small...about half an inch or so long. And yes, those you need to do something about before they make themselves at home.

American ones are the big ones...inch and a half-ish. Don't need to worry about those too much, as they're not necessarily looking to infest your home and reproduce all over the place, but obviously it's still a good idea to try to minimize their entrance to your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary