Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

I decided to go with just the positive question and keep the discussion upbeat. Of course, you can also mention the things that you love that are "secrets".
I'll start with my "Best" list:

1. Inter-metro sports rivalries in basketball and football among the Triangle Univesities.
3. Pullen Park. It's really old school fun that will remind many adults of their childhood and give today's children the childhood they miss by sitting in front of a computer or television.
2. Cameron Village and the neighborhoods to the North and the South of it.
3. Dollar burgers at MoJoe's after 10PM every night of the week (Glenwood South)
4. A Christmas Carol each year at the Progress Energy Center. It's possibly Raleigh's best tradition. Many future stars started in Theater in the Park and I am sure there are many more to come out of its recent crop of thespians.
5. American Dance Festival each year at Duke.
6. A Southern Season in Chapel Hill. If you can't find your favorite food here, you are just too darn picky!
7. Five Points - The "Original" Glenwood South of Raleigh still charms its visitors with a variety of entertainment options from food to coffee to independent film.
8. The view from the top of Dix Hill at night. If you haven't seen it, I'd advise you go look.
9. The people: Triangle residents are nice balance of brains and gentility. It's really a delight when you compare it to many other places in the US.
10. Spring: Other than the pine pollen, the Spring is wonderfully long and beautiful. I love the combination of Dogwoods, Azaleas and Wysteria.
11. Greenways and parks: especially in the Spring!

What are your favorite things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 08:14 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
1. Nash Square
2. State Farmer's Market
3. Flea Market at the Fairgrounds
4. Big Ed's for breakfast
5. Blue Jay Point Park
6. Duke Chapel & campus

Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
Some off the beaten path sort of speaking:

1. Helping the wonderful people at the NC Food bank on Tarheel Drive in Raleigh.

2. Helping Habitat for Humanity put up new homes for people that can really use them.

If you want a feeling of helping your community out try one or both of them. Helps put the material things in our lives in perspective.

3. Coming from the North East.....the weather of coarse!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 PM

159 posts, read 608,985 times
OK, I just listed a few on the other thread, but there's definitely more to list!

(1) Umstead State Park
(2) Duke Chapel and Gardens
(3) American Tobacco Campus
(4) American Tobacco Trail
(5) Franklin Street
(6) Eno River State Park
(7) Nana's, Magnolia Grill, Four Square
(8) Brightleaf Square
(9) Observation Deck/Park at RDU
(10) An outside table at Top of the Hill
(11) The crepe myrtles in spring/summer
(12) College football and basketball games
(13) Rockwood Furniture in Durham
(14) NC State Fair
(15) Museums
(16) New Year's Eve Acorn Drop in Raleigh (OK, maybe not!)

Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM

306 posts, read 1,306,586 times
Random Top Ten:
1. My little corner of Cary. Cute 60s ranch home, wooded lot, pleasant neighbors, pocket park, etc. Contrary to the opinion of some I find it to be the absolute best place to live in the Triangle (or the Quadrangle as I like to call it).
2. Oak trees. I love trees generally but I love oak trees particularly. I hit the mother lode in this area.
3. The big acorn in Moore Square. I think it is great that the City of Raleigh ceremoniously lowers it on New Year's Eve. Kitsch in a good way.
4. The butterfly house at the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. A fine specimen landed on my nose and tickled me.
5. Of course the parks and greenways: Bond Metro, Umstead State, Hemlock Bluff, Pullen, Lake Crabtree, American Tobacco Trail, etc, gosh, so many.
6. I am pleased to be surrounded by a pretty cosmopolitan population. I expect to be a 'point-decimal place' minority here but I did not want to be the only one of my kind. Also, the local economy is diverse and this contributes a 'roundedness' that I appreciate.
7. I like the growth of the area. The mix of the old and the new. The revitalization of the downtowns. It is exciting to live in a place that is evolving.
8. It took me a while to accept the decentralized nature of the area. Now I enjoy exploring the various communities: Apex to Zebulon...
9. I also find lots of places within reach for day-trips and weekends away. North Carolina is a beautiful state.
10. RDU has direct flights to London. This was vital for me for visiting family and friends.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:48 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Well, right now w are hosting a BIG figure skating event right here in Wake Forest! It is the Eastern Sectionals (There are also Sectionals in the Midwest & Pacific coast this week)
You can see world-class athletes right at the Factory rinks. The top 4 skaters in each group get to compete at Nationals, then for the winners it is on to the Olympics.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
I like, in no order:

Greenways - Raleigh and Cary
Lake Lynn and Shelley Lake
Pullen Park
No Traffic
15 minutes to RDU
Southpoint
Duke Gardens
Magnolia Grill
On the Border
Jordan Lake
Preston Village's Playground, Circle on the Green and Proximity to schools
Prestonwood CC
Chatham County Country Roads
Cary Tennis Center
Weather (we were wearing shorts today in mid November)
Family Friendly Atmosphere

Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
YEAH on the Factory Ice House Regionals! Jane, who placed in second at Eastern Regionals, is my daughter's coach!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 AM

45 posts, read 213,005 times
If you're looking for more great things about Durham in particular, residents and others have posted some of their best stories at this website as well:

Durham, NC - Where Great Things Happen

Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,450,678 times
This time of year has to be my favorite here -- the trees are incredible! My whole area is ablaze with maples, and the drives along the many parkways is beautiful. I just love the cooler temps and the Fall colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary