Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM

272 posts, read 303,498 times

Advertisements

Hard times have recently forced me to accept menial employment at Prestonwood. After 2 weeks I can say that I hate that place and all that it stands for. I'm not so much an employee as a slave. (Yes, the plantation system has metamorphised, and the country club is it's new incarnation.) Seriously thinking of quitting. Trying to stick it out as long as I can. Anyone here have any experience with this evil place? Would like to commiserate with you if you do.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:28 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,581 times
well I have seen posting for employment at Harris-Teeter and McD's in that area. I would surely leave that plantation and seek employment elsewhere

Old 09-08-2013, 10:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
It's interesting to read your perspective on that particular club. I've wondered what the vibe was there. People seem quite caught up with it around here, but I can't really figure out why. Hope your employment situation turns around soon.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM

580 posts, read 712,330 times
I know quite a few people that work there and love it (been there for years). Not sure what area you work in but have never heard any complaints before.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Hard times have recently forced me to accept menial employment at Prestonwood. After 2 weeks I can say that I hate that place and all that it stands for. I'm not so much an employee as a slave. (Yes, the plantation system has metamorphised, and the country club is it's new incarnation.) Seriously thinking of quitting. Trying to stick it out as long as I can. Anyone here have any experience with this evil place? Would like to commiserate with you if you do.
From your own words, you obviously hated this job before you accepted it. Don't blame that on Prestonwood. You considered the work beneath you. And perhaps it is beneath your educational or skill level. Fair enough. But that's not Prestonwood's fault. It's either your fault, or the economy in general.

No worries. I'm betting the next guy who is "forced to accept" this "menial employment" will be happy to be employed.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
What are you doing at Prestonwood? Perhaps there are other jobs that are more interesting/tolerable there?

It is likely that this job really is just beyond what you normally do and your skillset/education so it seems less tolerable from that perspective?

In truth, most people I've known who weren't teenagers/young adults and/or who had at least a bachelor's degree didn't care much for working at country clubs like Prestonwood. Not knocking the clubs themselves, not at all. It's just a trend I have noticed over the years.

I had a friend who was miserable after college waiting tables at Carolina Country Club.

She said it was the patrons, not the club itself.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:04 PM

272 posts, read 303,498 times
Thanks MB1972. NYCANC, I work landscaping for the golf courses. It's slavery pure and simple. I now hate golf and golfers with a passion. (I hate Mr. Goodnight too.) JK, my department has a high turnover rate. There is no happiness here. Meh, this is all I could find at PCC. If anyone is interested, I'll fill you in later. Right now I'm too tired and sore to do much of anything.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Thanks MB1972. NYCANC, I work landscaping for the golf courses. It's slavery pure and simple. I now hate golf and golfers with a passion. (I hate Mr. Goodnight too.) JK, my department has a high turnover rate. There is no happiness here. Meh, this is all I could find at PCC. If anyone is interested, I'll fill you in later. Right now I'm too tired and sore to do much of anything.
Between the climate and the competition, landscaping around here is bound to be at tough gig.

I must caution you, these posts are up for anyone to see. It would not be out of the realm of possibility for someone to email your supervisor about what you've posted here.

Dreadful as the job and working conditions might be, I assume it's preferable to explaining your story to a Salvation Army social worker.

Regardless of how sore and tired you are tonight, you may want to direct your energy to finding another job. Employers generally prefer to hire folks who are already employed. Which you are at the moment.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 PM

51 posts, read 112,321 times
Golf course landscaping is a brutal job, I don't know why anyone goes that way. My brother in law is the super at a similarly nice course in a different city. He gets two weekends off/month. He doesn't get them off if the course is running a tournament. He spent a lot of years busting his ... getting to that position.

I'd hate golf and golfers if I had that job.

I guess my point is, find a different line of work. It's the job, not the place.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon10 View Post
Golf course landscaping is a brutal job,...

I guess my point is, find a different line of work.
I agree. Seems to me it would be a dreadful job, something only those with absolutely no other options to feed their families would take on.

But then, there are a lot of dreadful jobs in this world. I once had a job where people would swear and spit at me while I tried to help them figure things out.

I've always wanted a life like those folks on Friends. You know, live in a nice place, party and travel on the income from working part-time in a pleasant coffee house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary