Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,738 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got a speeding ticket today driving home from work in Raleigh on I-40. I have not had a ticket in about 10 years.

My question is about convenience court. Can I use it for my type of offense? Should I use it? The website says "You must intend to plead responsible and pay your ticket on the day you appear".

On other parts of the site it says they don't accept checks or credit cards. How am I supposed to know how much to pay? It is not listed on my ticket.

Also, when the trooper walked back to my car and gave me the ticket he asked what year my car was. Why does this matter?

I just want to take care of this quickly and with the least amount of cost/legal problems.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 02:22 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,932 times
I'm not sure, I think that is a mandatory license suspension.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM

5,147 posts, read 3,758,340 times
Doesn't look good. Call a lawyer and see if you can get a free few minutes.

Speeding Ticket And Traffic Ticket Fines and Penalties in North Carolina at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Old 09-22-2013, 03:20 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosabella9 View Post
Hello,

I got a speeding ticket today driving home from work in Raleigh on I-40. I have not had a ticket in about 10 years.

My question is about convenience court. Can I use it for my type of offense? Should I use it? The website says "You must intend to plead responsible and pay your ticket on the day you appear".

On other parts of the site it says they don't accept checks or credit cards. How am I supposed to know how much to pay? It is not listed on my ticket.

Also, when the trooper walked back to my car and gave me the ticket he asked what year my car was. Why does this matter?

I just want to take care of this quickly and with the least amount of cost/legal problems.

Thanks!
Let me give you some good advice. Get a lawyer and pay him the $250 it will take to get this reduced to a non-moving violation, like no horn. Otherwise, you will probably lose your license, your insurance rates will go up and stay up for 6 years and you will have to still pay a fine.

$250 well spent.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:23 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Let me give you some good advice. Get a lawyer and pay him the $250 it will take to get this reduced to a non-moving violation, like no horn. Otherwise, you will probably lose your license, your insurance rates will go up and stay up for 6 years and you will have to still pay a fine.

$250 well spent.
Good advice. Happened to my husband - TWICE!. He learned his lesson and now drives the posted speed.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:45 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Yeah....you were going 22mph over the limit so the DA will probably throw the book at you without a lawyer. I'm thinking it's going to cost you more like $450 though....$250 to fix something like this seems too low.

Good luck....!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I just had a similar situation in South Carolina. I usually don't speed but I was driving hubby's car which is way larger than mine and just didn't notice that I was going that fast.

I was going 83 in a 70. My insurance guy said to get an attorney and it will at least go down to 79 (anything over 80 seems to be a big deal).

My insurance guy said if I just paid the ticket (listed at $85 on back of ticket), my insurance would go up for 6 years and I would end up paying about $1600 over those 6 years.

I hired an attorney for $300, $145 in court costs for a total of $445.

Lesson learned. Get an attorney.

Vicki

Old 09-22-2013, 09:10 PM

4,164 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I just had a similar situation in South Carolina. I usually don't speed but I was driving hubby's car which is way larger than mine and just didn't notice that I was going that fast.

Vicki
Yeah...I have to watch that too. The speed will creep up on you in these newer cars and sometimes you don't realize how fast you're going until you check the speedometer...hopefully before the blue lights are behind you.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Just wait for the lawyer letters to arrive in the mail and call each one to get the best price.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Is anyone else sick reading this? The fact that you have to pay an attorney to get your speed lowered. I dunno. Why would a lawyer be able to reduce the ticket? What do they do? What do they say? Can a regular Joe walk in there and do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary