Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,722,377 times

Advertisements

Have a gf coming into town.
I'm well versed on anything outdoorsy (kayaking, hiking, etc)

I am taking her to the Cedar Creek Gallery in Raleigh . .that's a must if you haven't been there before.
Mountaintosea trails, etc. and we're taking a day trip to Hanging rock

Any wineries close by you'd recommend?

what would you do or have you done with your guest(s)?
thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,683 times
Hmmm.....indoor/non-hiking kind of things in Raleigh:

NC Museum of Art and perhaps lunch or snack at the cafe.

There is a recent thread with wild/whacky stores if that is your thing.

Since you mentioned cedar creek gallery -- an interesting stop in raleigh is the raleigh city museum - there is a nice little gift shop in there with local crafts.

A foodie thing you might check out would be our local chocolatiers -- videri and escazu chocolatiers in Raleigh
One of them is across from 'the pit' - forget which one. Another fun Raleigh place to eat is The Pie Bird - all their pies are SO good and it is a nice place to chat/eat/have a nice glass of wine.

Wondering in/around cameron village as well if you guys like to do that sort of thing.

The state fair is coming in October -- I do enjoy wondering through exhibits without kids in tow.

Hope the weather is lovely so you can do a combo of inside/outside things. Enjoy!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:41 PM

thanks so much WeLuvNC . .and taking the time!

Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
We've been to several of the wineries - none terribly charming or impressive (the surroundings or the wine).

However, the TOPO Distillery tour in Chapel Hill was great. Interesting, unusual, small groups and excellent sampling of the vodka, whiskey and gin. Further, no guilty feeling when you leave without buying anything because they can't sell this stuff except in the ABC Stores (though I admit, I keep a bottle of the vodka in my fridge at all times).

Many people enjoy the brewery tours, but I'm not a beer drinker so I can't advise you there.

The trolley tour of downtown Raleigh was a very cool way to spend an hour or two, easily followed by a local lunch. And I would absolutely bring an out of stater to the big Raleigh Farmers Market - they all seem to enjoy it. (I'd probably go elsewhere for lunch, though.)

Old 10-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Thank you JKG!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
If you want to venture over to Saxapahaw and the gourmet restaurant in a gas station at the General Store you could check out Benjamin Vineyards. you could also ho canoeing or kayaking on the Haw River too. Cup 22 and the Eddy are great place for a cuppa and a pint and bite too.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 PM

9,780 posts, read 15,798,761 times
The Flea Market at the fairgrounds in Raleigh is fun, too, if they're into it. And a favorite place of mine to take visitors is to the front porch of Maple View Farm in Hillsborough to enjoy fresh ice cream. Perhaps a walking tour of downtown Hillsborough with dinner at one of the restaurants on Churton Street would be fun.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 AM

Awesome..thank you!

We do love the fair and thanks for the reminder . .going opening day . .we haven't missed in 6 years . . BBQ eggrolls this year!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:11 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,683 times
One more thing I thought of -- Downtown Apex is very cute. It has a number of shops to wander in/out of, some terrific restaurants, and a used bookstore that is very nice, a bakery with yummy treats as well as at least one ice cream shop.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM

133 posts, read 393,639 times
I'd take your visitors on a Segway tour in downtown Raleigh. Triangle Glides has several really great sightseeing tours from one to two hours. You go with a guide and hear about local history etc. Wonderful introduction to the city, and fun to ride the Segways. I noticed there's a Groupon deal right now too, nearly half off regular price: Triangle Glides Raleigh / Durham Deal of the Day | Groupon Raleigh / Durham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary