Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 18,345 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am currently researching an auto accident that claimed the life of two of my family members. This research is NOT being done for legal reasons, it's only to find out more information about the night this took place. The accident took place on Dec. 18 1975 on Glenn RD where it meets Glenn School Rd. There were 4 people killed due to a head on collision. Two of the 4 were family members. If you know ANYTHING about this night
please email me @ Tharris01@aol.com

We are hoping to find police, firemen, or just people who stopped to help, we would like to have detailed accounts from these people to help answer some questions for the one's who have had to live with out parts of their families. Your name does NOT have to be given.

If you have any idea's of how I could go about this, Id love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

T.Harris

Last edited by Tharris01; 11-20-2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 05:51 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,938 times
Newspaper archives?

Old 11-20-2007, 06:30 PM

done that.. Thanks though.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,167 times
Default Long time ago

Used to know all of the Durham Fire Department Rescue personel from back then. After 35 years, the only ones that now come to mind are Tommy (want to say last name) Fowler, Lonnie Mathews, Ray (want to say Taylor ? who in the late 1980's, Ray had been promoted to Asst. Chief) and another, with the last name of Smith. On his days off, Lonnie ran the Mathews Body Shop on Wake Forest Highway.

These were the guys who would have responded on "Rescue 11." After returning to the station, they would have documented the call. Maybe there are records that can be accessed at the Fire Dept Headquarters.

If any of these guys are still alive and well, I am certain would still remember a crash such as the one you describe.

Tommy would likely be one of the younger from that day and I would guess that he is now in his 60's. Lonnie and Ray would easily be in their late 70's if not 80's.

If this helps, I would like to know if the guys are still around.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 PM

"On his days off, Lonnie ran the Mathews Body Shop on Wake Forest Highway."

If this guy is still around I can surely contact him, I know the owners of Mathews Body Shop.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM
vq1

HQ used to be in Station #1, the central downtown station.

[SIZE=3]Durham Fire Department-Station 1[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] - www.ci (broken link).durham.nc.us[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]139 E Morgan St, Durham - (919) 560-4245.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]This may have changed to another county building, but I would start there.[/SIZE]

Back then, Rescue 11, Tanker 16 and (I believe it was) Engine 13 were a joint opertion of the City and County Fire Departments. In the early 1970's, Glenn School Road and Glenn Road would have been outside the city.

If you do not mind my asking, who were the vehicle occupants? Feel free to Direct Message me.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 PM

Yeah, Actually those area's are still considered county, but barely.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Fire Department... Bad news.

I called the Fire Departments Head Quarters, and was simply told that records that old dont exist. I just wonder if they dont have time to check for them, or if they truly dont exist any more... Finding documents on this is a lot harder than I thought it might be.

Also, the sheriffs department told me that they dont have any records because they didnt go ONLINE until 2000!! Can you believe that??? Only 7 years ago.. WOW.

Last edited by Tharris01; 11-21-2007 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,430 times
Default God Bless

Go to your local court and look up the case. You may find something there.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:52 PM
vq1

Back then, Sheriff Davis discouraged his deputies from issuing tickets, so the NC State Highway Patrol would have been the investgators outside the city limits. Ask at the barracks on US70 where older records would be stored. My guess is in Raleigh, probably micro-filmed and moved to the Archives.

I'll ask some others for more information. Any luck with Lonnie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary