Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Now that we moved to Apex, we quickly found out that the trains come around every 2 hours or so and they love to blow their horns throughout town! Day and NIGHT - 'round the clock, it seems.

Why do they blow their horns near residential area? or at night?

My parents' house in CA where I grew up was not far from railroad tracks, but we hardly ever heard them blow their horn. So when I told my Dad about the active trains, he said to call Apex to complaint and/or start a petition for a city ordinance to limit trains blowing their horn during certain hours.

So, I wanted to ask Apex residents in this forum what the scoop is with these trains and why the town allows them to blow their horn throughout town specially at night.

Thanks!
Unless they are making this much noise you have nothing to complain about.

Amtrak 92, Silver Star, northbound, Southern Pines NC, 200 leading May 2 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:57 PM

257 posts, read 491,661 times
[quote=PDD;32174952]Unless they are making this much noise you have nothing to complain about.

quote]

Thanks for the perspective! I think it was our first day and I was outside when the train noise seem extremely loud, like it was in our backyard. Since then, it hasn't been as noticeable and as loud, now that I can anticipate the train's blowing their horn.

Thanks for the info on the horn blowing code. That's interesting. I was wondering why they had to blow it a few times. I thought it was for kicks, or so they don't fall asleep while "behind the wheel"!

by the way, we used to live not far from a local airport where our house was on a flight path. Planes don't have horns to blow.. so their noise was more tolerable!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,729,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Now that we moved to Apex, we quickly found out that the trains come around every 2 hours or so and they love to blow their horns throughout town! Day and NIGHT - 'round the clock, it seems.
That is one problem I would love to have as I love trains! From what I understand there might be two freights a day (four on a good day) and a couple of Amtraks passing through Apex each day? There is a good deal of switching that happens there as well. The freights go from Raleigh to Hamlet and back again I think? There could be the occasional reroute I suppose. I'd love it if someone could find the actual numbers on how many trains actually pass through Apex in 24 hours? It's not nearly as many as people think....

Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
When did trains get horns? I always thought they had whistles?
"You can hear the whistle blow, a hundred miles"

Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Unless they are making this much noise you have nothing to complain about.

This is even better and this was only two trains. They get about 70 a day through there with a lot of them being over a mile in length!

Railfanning Folkston, Georgia October 19th, 2013 - YouTube

Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
From what I understand there might be two freights a day (four on a good day) and a couple of Amtraks passing through Apex each day?
I don't believe any of the Amtrak routes go through Apex.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I don't believe any of the Amtrak routes go through Apex.
You might be right but they used to? From Anthony Randall...

Amtrak 145 Leads the Northbound Silver Star - YouTube

Old 11-10-2013, 10:49 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Oops. I was incorrect. Silver Star does still go through Apex on its way from Cary to Southern Pines. Apologies

Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 AM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
When did trains get horns? I always thought they had whistles?
"You can hear the whistle blow, a hundred miles"

When they got rid of steam.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:41 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
I showed a home once, in Morrisville. Backyard had a very tall (taller than usual) wood fence. We joked about it "hiding something".

Once upstairs, we looked to see what was behind the fence. It was the train tracks!

As we were leaving, we asked the neighbor about the noise from the train. Her comment was, "we like trains and look forward to it seeing it and hearing it!". "And, the house only shakes a bit but you get used to it.".

Right. Trains close by...most can live with it. Trains in your backyard...that would take a special person to live with it!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary