Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:48 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,013,515 times

Advertisements

We are leaving Fri for our quick long weekend trip to Cary, Apex, North Raleigh, Holly Springs - scouting for possible retirement. Returning home Mon. so time is short.

We will be touring with a realtor on Sat.

Wondering what - if we have time - we should see while there to give us a "flavor" of each town/city.

Usually we check out a bookstore or two, a few independent shops and restaurants. The downtown area if the town has one, the parks, dog parks, the farmers market if there is one going on.

We try to go to/do the things we would do if we lived there, vs the touristy things, at least the first couple of visits.

We will be staying at the Umstead. Want to stay close to the hotel at night for dinner - in fact may eat in the bar (cheaper)- as we find it hard to drive new areas in the dark. Lunchtime will be our "exploring" time in between seeing subdivisions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:08 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Just fyi, there are two shopping areas across the street from the Umstead that will have cheaper food than any you will find at the Umstead.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,655,473 times
I hope your enjoy your visit. I'll let someone else speak to Cary, as I avoid Cary because I can't stand the traffic.

Apex has a very nice downtown with a handful of local restaurants. You can park on the street and walk the downtown to get a feel for it.

Holly Springs has no downtown to speak of, although there is one restaurant/sports bar and one wine bar "downtown". I would suggest Niche wine bar if wine is your thing. The owner is very knowledgeable and it's a cozy little place.

Another area you may consider, as it's only about 10 minutes south of Holly Springs, is Fuquay Varina. Nice little downtown, a few local restaurants and a local brewery/smokehouse.

In the above points I was speaking of the downtown, as that is something that gives you a feel for the town. Each town mentioned has it's share of shopping and eating.

I'm not sure if you're looking for more laid back, quiet living or shops and shopping plazas. In order of density/congestion I would rate the towns from (dense to least dense) Cary, Apex, Fuquay Varina and Holly Springs, although don't be fooled Holly Springs is catching up to the issues plaguing the other towns.

To your point about night driving - this isn't like MA. Very few street lights here so most roads are dark. Watch for the deer, as they are out and about this time of year.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I hope your enjoy your visit. I'll let someone else speak to Cary, as I avoid Cary because I can't stand the traffic.

Apex has a very nice downtown with a handful of local restaurants. You can park on the street and walk the downtown to get a feel for it.

Holly Springs has no downtown to speak of, although there is one restaurant/sports bar and one wine bar "downtown". I would suggest Niche wine bar if wine is your thing. The owner is very knowledgeable and it's a cozy little place.

Another area you may consider, as it's only about 10 minutes south of Holly Springs, is Fuquay Varina. Nice little downtown, a few local restaurants and a local brewery/smokehouse.

In the above points I was speaking of the downtown, as that is something that gives you a feel for the town. Each town mentioned has it's share of shopping and eating.

I'm not sure if you're looking for more laid back, quiet living or shops and shopping plazas. In order of density/congestion I would rate the towns from (dense to least dense) Cary, Apex, Fuquay Varina and Holly Springs, although don't be fooled Holly Springs is catching up to the issues plaguing the other towns.

To your point about night driving - this isn't like MA. Very few street lights here so most roads are dark. Watch for the deer, as they are out and about this time of year.
This is misleading. I'd agree that there is congestion in Cary over near Crossroads but I can't really agree that there is congestion elsewhere. Similarly, I'd say that Apex is congested on Hwy 55. Like Cary, little pockets here and there but overall I don't see congestion being an issue in Cary or Apex as a whole.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
We retired to Raleigh last year. You bring up one of our few points of discontent: Night Driving is very difficult. The lighting is minimal or non existent. Many roads are narrow and twisting. Signage is less than ideal, even on the highways.

I admit, we were spoiled by the excellent, well defined, newer street system (grid) and highways in Phoenix. But adjusting HAS been hard, and we've actually turned down invitations because of the drive home.

Without our GPS, we never would have made it out of our immediate neighborhood at night. Don't leave home without one.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:08 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Without our GPS, we never would have made it out of our immediate neighborhood at night. Don't leave home without one.
I second that.

There was recent thread about restaurant recommendations and so forth for someone making a quick trip to the area. You might want to scan that thread.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Fuquay-Varina has a nice downtown, couple of blocks near the springs and a couple of blocks on the Fuquay side by the railroad station. It is nice but small.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
All of these smaller towns are newer, filled with newer neighborhoods. Some have cute small downtowns but really, how much time does anyone spend downtown???

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with the downtowns area. I'd love help in understanding this.

Vicki

Old 11-25-2013, 09:48 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
If the idea is to be closer to healthcare, that isn't downtown. Mostly, this area is suburbia! Hard to get too many places without transportation. Walking sounds good but you can only walk so far. I think that is why the 55+ communities have become such a big hit.

Vicki

Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If the idea is to be closer to healthcare, that isn't downtown. Mostly, this area is suburbia! Hard to get too many places without transportation. Walking sounds good but you can only walk so far. I think that is why the 55+ communities have become such a big hit.

Vicki
If the idea is to be close to healthcare options AND 24-hour vets AND well-lit roads, then Fuquay (while a cute downtown and a decent area) would not be my first choice for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary