Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 AM

61 posts, read 216,254 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the process of buying a home in North Raleigh (1987 in 27615 area). The realtor that represented us told us that he had a GREAT home inspector that he trusted very much and was extremely good at what he does. So, being that we had to have the inspection done in 7 days or so of ratifide contract, we went ahead and scheduled the inspection with his "recommended inspector".

Now we are having second thoughts and doubts about having made this decision. After speaking with friends of ours that are in the realestate biz, we have now been told NEVER to use inspectors that are referenced or refered by your agent... Theory is that most of the time these types of inspectors will tell you anything to make sure the sale goes through without a hitch. From the realtors POV out there, can any of you confirm or deny this, and would it be wise for us, even though this first inspector has already completed his job, to hire a second independent inspector that has no affiliation to or relationship with our realestate agent? If so, any particular inspector agents that you would recommend? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
Seems to me to be a conflict of interest too. Like going to a used car dealer and having the potential buy inspected by a mechanic recommended by the dealer. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,792 times
I think it depends. The inspector we used for our last house purchase was AWESOME and he was recommended by our realtor (who wasn't so awesome). He kept us from buying a real money pit!

I think it can go either way.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I think it depends. The inspector we used for our last house purchase was AWESOME and he was recommended by our realtor (who wasn't so awesome). He kept us from buying a real money pit!

I think it can go either way.
Absolutely, but you never know what the relationship is between the two.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:41 AM

61 posts, read 216,254 times
Our realtor tells me that the guy finished the inspection this morning and found lots of things. Small roof leak, wood rot, vinyl warp... and many other smaller things. Apparently we are to receive a very comprehensive report tonight along with pictures. Of course, based on his report, we will create a list of repairs that we will require the homeowner to make prior to closing. So, hopefully any of the major problems will be taken care of (especially anything having to do with water damage). We are told that this inspector is excellent and that he used to be an building engineer. He is licensed in NC, but from what we can tell not a member of ASHI. We're still debating on getting another opinion (from an ASHI certified member), even though it will cost us another $400 or so.

We are just nervous purchasers because this house we're buying is a 1987, and although that's not overly old to many people, it is for us. We currently live in a 2001 house that we purchased NEW from the builder. So, things like roof leaks that could cause major problems down the road and moisture problems around windows that have caused a little bit of wood rot tend to scare us more than perhaps some. On the other hand, I have heard time and time again from countless individuals on this forum that buying older homes does not scare them at all. I've been told 1987 isn't even what they'd consider OLD anyhow... OLD to them is <1940's. And to some degree I agree, because the "bones" of this house we're buying are really wonderful... lots of wonderful updates and quality craftmanship you simply cannot find on newer houses. BUT on the other hand, we'll just have to get used to the idea that the house WONT be perfect and that we'll probably need to do some minor repairs (roof replace, HVAC replace etc...) throughout the time we reside in it.

Last edited by beittels; 10-18-2006 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-18-2006, 11:46 AM

Four hundred dollars isn't much considering how much you're getting ready to spend on the purchase.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,764 times
The home inspector can be held liable if he finds something major and fails to report it to you. He can then loose his state license, loose his professional liability insurance policy, and be forced to find a new line of work. No professional home inspector would risk this to help a sale go through for a realtor.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Ok...POV from the Realtor...I have 3 inspectors that I use often. I use them because they do not overcharge my clients, they are HONEST and they do the best job they can FOR my clients. When I say "my clients", I mean that in every sense of the word. I would never use an inspector that wasn't doing his "due diligence". I want my clients happy with their new home and happy with me. That is where 90% of my new clients come from...referrals from my previous clients. What you are suggesting would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Now I know every agent isn't perfect and I'm sure I'm not either but most of us do want what is best for our clients and its the same when I refer lenders or painters, etc. I get no kickbacks from any of them but its important to me that my clients get the best. Vicki

Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,036,436 times
From a realtor as well.........There are inspectors that I have worked with, and I think their reports are very good, they perform due diligence and beyond. But, I also would say follow your gut on this. The inspector my clients have used that I recommended certainly did find some issues in some houses, and even stopped some clients from purchasing a home based on their findings. So, the issue is your comfort level. I simply want people to get home inspections, and I don't care where from! You should ask around, see if your friends know someone. It doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary