Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:39 PM

263 posts, read 572,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Spurs are supposed to begin with an odd number (i.e. I-395).

And remember, once Raleigh's outer loop is completed is will be renamed to begin with an even number: I-640/NC640.
Spurs that *do not join another interstate* are supposed to begin with an odd number. If they rejoin an interstate (even a different interstate), they get an even number. So naming it I-495 is correct.

Now that I-540 connects two interstates (I-40 and I-495), it *should* be renamed I-640, but as SFspiderman said, NC DOT asked for a waiver on that rule, and they will be allowed to leave it named I-540. I personally wish they would rename I-540 to I-640, and leave the toll road as NC-540, so it would be easier to differentiate when planning a trip whether you'll need to pay tolls.

Quote:
Raleigh has changed many street's names in the past for clarity's sake, like Wake Forest Road, which used to be "Old Wake Forest Rd."
Would you mind elaborating on that? To my knowledge, the entire section used to be just "Wake Forest Rd". They realigned the intersection with Falls of Neuse (and made it so that you had to turn right to stay on Wake Forest Rd), and I believe that's the point at which it became Old Wake Forest Rd. I don't believe the reverse has happened, though. I'm curious to know if it has, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
It's off-topic, but the city of Raleigh has been renaming streets for decades -- it's nothing new. Just find a city street map online from 100 years ago.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:08 PM

60 posts, read 159,997 times
How long before 495 signs are posted along the route?

Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
Spurs that *do not join another interstate* are supposed to begin with an odd number. If they rejoin an interstate (even a different interstate), they get an even number. So naming it I-495 is correct.

Now that I-540 connects two interstates (I-40 and I-495), it *should* be renamed I-640, but as SFspiderman said, NC DOT asked for a waiver on that rule, and they will be allowed to leave it named I-540. I personally wish they would rename I-540 to I-640, and leave the toll road as NC-540, so it would be easier to differentiate when planning a trip whether you'll need to pay tolls.

Would you mind elaborating on that? To my knowledge, the entire section used to be just "Wake Forest Rd". They realigned the intersection with Falls of Neuse (and made it so that you had to turn right to stay on Wake Forest Rd), and I believe that's the point at which it became Old Wake Forest Rd. I don't believe the reverse has happened, though. I'm curious to know if it has, though.
The old Beltline signage read, "Old Wake Forest Rd." Now I believe "Wake Forest Road" and the northern, still-existing "Old Wake Forest Road" are considered to be two different roads.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
Spurs are supposed to begin with an odd number (i.e. I-395).

And remember, once Raleigh's outer loop is completed is will be renamed to begin with an even number: I-640/NC640.
It should have been designated as I-640 at initial conception. As I-40 has more auxiliary routes in North Carolina and I-540 has changed its intended function, it is permissible. Look at Georgia and South Carolina's I-520, now a southern bypass around Augusta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post

In time, NC-540 will change over I-540 and keep the tolls.

I foresee New Bern, Greenville and Williamston getting interstate spurs somewhere down the road. I-795, currently connecting I-95 to Goldsboro, will likely be extended north to Zebulon to initially terminate at future I-495 and south to terminate in New Bern. An interstate spur from I-795 in Wilson to Greenville would be beneficial, maybe 195, 395, 595 or 995. I-495 should be extended onto Williamston, Elizabeth City and Norfolk. The logical move would be extending I-97 down from Annapolis through Delaware, Viriginia and into North Carolina. Sadly, North Carolina is creating several interstate highway quality routes that could create a mess of auxiliary routes in the future.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:24 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Road Worrier on this section and other stuff:

RALEIGH: Road Worrier: Road geeks quibble over I-495 and its numerical name | Road Worrier | NewsObserver.com

Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM

113 posts, read 180,931 times
Not sure about everyone else, but the numbering will undoubtedly bother me for years to come. I am also undoubtedly a 'road geek'.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 AM

I noticed that Google Maps has added the I-495 shield to that stretch of roadway.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 AM

108 posts, read 151,851 times
No more 64 ... This blows my mind. I once drove US 64 all the way to Arizona.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 AM

No, it's still US 64 (and US 264). It just has an additional designation of I-495, and people will eventually refer to the interstate designation over the other smaller routes.

For example, I-440 carries US-1 and US-64 in places, but people refer to that section as just I-440.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary