Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:40 PM

36 posts, read 82,225 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my home, already listed. I got the opinion of a few realtors and they all said it's priced right. It's in a topnotch location for resale, convenience, space, good neighborhoods and schools, the works. All the realtors say it shows very well and will sell fast.

But hardly anyone is even coming to look at our home. Maybe one a week, if that. I've heard a lot of transplants coming here can't sell their houses where they came from. So they can't buy yet.

Does anybody know what's going on with the market right now? This should be the peak time to sell. And it's slow. I hear the new home builders are having trouble too. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:09 PM

202 posts, read 950,186 times
Ditto on that. I have been listed with an agent for a little over 2 weeks and have had 5 showings which I guess isn't terrible. My house (Apex) is in $450k-$500k range and the only one in my entire neighborhood for sale. I priced it $7k less than a house that just sold down the street. There are not that many 4Br houses under $500k over 3000sqft that is on a 0.5+ acre or more with a MBR down in all of Cary/Apex/Holly Springs, based upon the brief searches I have done to compare. Of the 5 showings we have 2 that are interested but who knows. Just curious, what is the price range of your house and what area are you in? Cary? N. Raleigh? Apex?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
hard to tell without more information. What is the price point? higher priced homes may be "priced right" but may have fewer buyers out there. Location? I know you said good location, but where? Have you talked to your agent? they could tell you the kind traffic the area generally gets, etc

leigh

Old 06-03-2007, 04:28 PM

68 posts, read 160,876 times
Yes Problem Is Everyone Up North Are Lead To Believe That You Can Get A Great " Deal " In That Area. Truth Is Prices Are Starting To Go Up So Fast That The Whole Idea Of Moving And Starting Over Because Of What You Can Get Is Unbelievable. Well The Problem Is It Is.
Don't Get Me Wrong Still A Good Value, But Prices Down There Are Going Up So Fast It's Making People Up Here Take A Second Look To See If It Is ' Really " Worth It To Make The Move. I Know Three Family's That Were Set To Go But After Checking Out The Prices, And Realizing That You Basicly Get Zero Property, And Not A Flat Yard To Be Found, That Maybe The Grass Is Not Greener On The Other Side. Just My Opinion Of Course.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:32 PM

The Reason I Know This Is I Am One Of Them. Don't Take This Wrong But People Down There Are Starting To Get Greedy But Then Of Couse They Are Only Going To Get What People Are Willing To Pay. Bottom Line Two Years Ago It Was A Great Deal. Now Just Another Town Where Builders Are Taking Advantgage Of What People Will Pay, And Keep Going Up On The Prices Every Few Months, So Home Owners Are Doing The Same.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Default Survery results are in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman999 View Post
Yes Problem Is Everyone Up North Are Lead To Believe That You Can Get A Great " Deal " In That Area. Truth Is Prices Are Starting To Go Up So Fast That The Whole Idea Of Moving And Starting Over Because Of What You Can Get Is Unbelievable. Well The Problem Is It Is.
Don't Get Me Wrong Still A Good Value, But Prices Down There Are Going Up So Fast It's Making People Up Here Take A Second Look To See If It Is ' Really " Worth It To Make The Move. I Know Three Family's That Were Set To Go But After Checking Out The Prices, And Realizing That You Basicly Get Zero Property, And Not A Flat Yard To Be Found, That Maybe The Grass Is Not Greener On The Other Side. Just My Opinion Of Course.
What's up with the capitalization?

Also, zero property and "not a flat yard" is a very broad generalization. I bought a house with over an acre and the backyard is flat. I found several bargains during my search. I also wasn't expecting to find a McMansion for the price of a Happy Meal.

The grass is never greener on the other side of the fence, it's all part of the Grand Illusion.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 PM

202 posts, read 950,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman999 View Post
The Reason I Know This Is I Am One Of Them. Don't Take This Wrong But People Down There Are Starting To Get Greedy But Then Of Couse They Are Only Going To Get What People Are Willing To Pay. Bottom Line Two Years Ago It Was A Great Deal. Now Just Another Town Where Builders Are Taking Advantgage Of What People Will Pay, And Keep Going Up On The Prices Every Few Months, So Home Owners Are Doing The Same.
What is considered a good deal? What would you expect a good deal to be down here? What do you pay per sqft where you come from? How big are the lots? I agree developers are making the lots WAAAYYYY to small, a 3500 sqft house on a .25 acre lot is just crazy but that's not how all the neighborhoods are in this area.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal298 View Post
I've heard a lot of transplants coming here can't sell their houses where they came from. So they can't buy yet. Does anybody know what's going on with the market right now? This should be the peak time to sell. And it's slow. I hear the new home builders are having trouble too. I don't get it.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Also, people in the northeast, Florida, and California are now realizing that they've missed the boat and lost their chance to cash out and move somewhere else that's cheap. They've decided to sit tight and not move. I make a pretty good salary, and I don't even think that I could afford a $500K house. . . . . unless I was sitting on a wad of cash from selling my last house in the northeast, Florida, California, etc. . . .

Old 06-03-2007, 05:29 PM

709 posts, read 935,436 times
Just try keeping an acre of grass green down here!!!

Your water bill will look like a car payment!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM

NYC,
Sorry about the caps, didn't know their were cyber cops in here, relax. just trying to type fast, it helps. now to answer your question, again. First of all, I don't know how else to put it, except to say once again, there are not many flat lots in the $335,000 -$379,000 price range. This may be a generalization, because in gereral it is a fact. you are the exception, and i'm willing to bet it is at least 7 miles out on road 10 -10, and i know this because i am working with one of the best brokers in the whloe wake county. He should me exactly that, a one acre home 7 miles out on a dark lonley road before you get to the nearest gas station. not very good at night or when my wife wants to go out and do things all the time. I find it interesting you didn't say where you bought your home. Please don't give the idea to people up north that they get get an acre of land that is close to everything. Even my broker agrees it's tough to find flat lots , which personally I don't think is asking too much. Mannsion? Happy Meal? Talk about making generalizations.
Bottom line is this two years ago it wa a good deal. Now it's getting to the point not worth it . Sorry your acre is not close to anything major, such you got an acre. I don't want my neighbors to know what kind of soap I'm using when I shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary