Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,209 times

Advertisements

Hello- we are considering relocating to the triangle area from Northern Virginia (Fairfax County) and would like some first hand information on what makes the Chapel Hill schools so great. We've reviewed all the data- the test scores, the course offerings- all the tangible information/data we can find. However, there is more to a top rated school system then just high test scores and AP course offerings. What are other, non-tangible things that separate Chapel Hill from Orange or Chatham?

We have two daughters, 7 and 5. The 7 year old is an average student while the 5 year old is above average, but not gifted. Does an average student do well in Chapel Hill schools or is the district geared toward the above average and/or gifted students? Are Chapel Hill schools considered "pressure cookers" where the students that aren't intellectually gifted feel the stress of competing with the students that are? How are the sports programs? Does Chapel Hill attract "better" teachers then the surrounding district?

My question boils down to this: Strip away the test scores, what makes Chapel Hill schools better then Orange, Chatham, Wake and Durham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:53 AM

5,744 posts, read 17,615,721 times
I tend to believe that it is due to the higher concentration of population with advanced degrees, and who value education. You see the same thing with the communities around RTP (Cary and Morrisville especially) where many high-tech workers live.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:09 AM

873 posts, read 1,019,952 times
There's also the fact that taxes are higher in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro district to cover the expenses for top school offerings and teachers than the others. That's why those communities have the highest tax rate in the state, but in exchange, they usually wind up having the highest successful graduation rates - including yours truly

Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I tend to believe that it is due to the higher concentration of population with advanced degrees, and who value education. You see the same thing with the communities around RTP (Cary and Morrisville especially) where many high-tech workers live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
There's also the fact that taxes are higher in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro district to cover the expenses for top school offerings and teachers than the others. That's why those communities have the highest tax rate in the state, but in exchange, they usually wind up having the highest successful graduation rates - including yours truly

Both of these.

That's really all there is to it.

Which is something, when you think of it... want the former and don't mind the latter? It's a very good school system and by all accounts, a good place to live.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 PM

25 posts, read 35,821 times
Quote:
You see the same thing with the communities around RTP (Cary and Morrisville especially) where many high-tech workers live.
Is the same true (or becoming true) about NE Chatham county ?

Clearly CHCSS is academically the best system in state for the reasons identified. But will a reasonably well balanced student have any reason to be concerned with attending Pollard MS and Northwood HS ? I'm leaving out charter schools, since the assumption has to be that kids will attend the regular schools unless luck intervenes.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:14 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,361,722 times
Orange County schools have a little better rep than Chatham. You can look info up on the individual schools and districts at NC Report Card which is the state's site on school accountability.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Both of these.

That's really all there is to it.

Which is something, when you think of it... want the former and don't mind the latter? It's a very good school system and by all accounts, a good place to live.
But what makes Chapel Hill school system so great? I understand that parents with higher degrees understand the importance of education and stress that at home thereby improving the overall academic focus of the school. However are Chapel Hill schools a pressure cooker?

We believe that the best schools are ones that have balance and all kids can feel successful whether it's through academics, sports, drama, etc successes. Higher taxes, higher test scores don't always equate to successful, balanced schools where the student population is HAPPY. Are Chapel Hill schools focused on test results or overall student achievement and balance? We love the area and don't mind paying the higher COL IF the schools provide balance for all types of students, not just those that are academically advanced.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:52 PM

5,744 posts, read 17,615,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKBElew View Post
My question boils down to this: Strip away the test scores, what makes Chapel Hill schools better then Orange, Chatham, Wake and Durham?
Maybe your question should be:

Strip away the test scores, are Chapel Hill schools any better than Orange, Chatham, Wake and Durham?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
Quote:
Maybe your question should be:

Strip away the test scores, are Chapel Hill schools any better than Orange, Chatham, Wake and Durham?

That's an interesting perspective. I have to think that you'd also need to strip away the extra money per pupil and the extra level of parental involvement due to so many parents having advanced degrees and so forth.

Which would be tough to do, no?

I mean, we can see that some schools in Wake do as well as some of the schools in Chapel Hill (I am speaking to Wake because I live here and know firsthand), and if we look at those individual schools, we discover that they are generally in more affluent areas where we can assume that more parents are involved and/or donating more money to the schools, thus making the student experience more pleasant and not lacking in supplies/extras, etc.

Just a thought.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,306,208 times
I thought this previous discussion on this very topic was pretty insightful:

Chapel Hill schools -- how the best?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary