Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:16 PM

282 posts, read 835,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBaby View Post
Your original message wasn't clear. I assumed you meant that I was venting CO2 directly into my house, which I am not.

If you mean that I'm generating more CO2 by running my dryer, then you are still mistaken. I keep my house temperature constant. If I weren't running my dryer and venting the waste heat into my house, I would instead be running my heater more, and generating just as much CO2.
Well - you actually ARE. Electric dryers have a HIGHER CO2 footprint than a gas one, some of which is generated by the local heating unit, and in your case vented directly back into your well insulated house. Electrical heat has approximately twice the footprint over direct consumption of gas.

The choices are yours, and I can certainly see your point during those times when you ARE running the heater. It's just one I prefer to avoid when at all possible, in particular during those times when the heat isn't required (most of the year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 03:46 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Default CO2 debate

You are,
am not,
you are,
am not

me> http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x149/autumngal_photo/Thud-1.gif (broken link)

Yup, I agree everyone has a choice .

Last edited by autumngal; 12-04-2007 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: ty all for debating nicely! :) I appreciate that :)

Old 12-04-2007, 04:11 PM

847 posts, read 3,523,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBaby View Post
Here's what I have installed.
Deflecto Dryer Vent Room Heater - Energy Efficient Heating (http://www.cetsolar.com/extraheat.htm - broken link)

I found it in a Home Depot in Pennsylvania. They don't seem to have them in H.D. or Lowes around here though.
Thanks! That's a handy site.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
[SIZE=3]I read this and wonder what the problem with underwear is. I suspect most of the readers wear them at one time or the other, and are still able to sleep through he night. After all they are nothing but clothes. Some small and others LARGE. I think the HOA should allow the cloths lines and lobby to keep the tight leotards out of the Malls which may keep you awake at night. [/SIZE]

Old 12-04-2007, 09:24 PM

347 posts, read 934,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Thanks! That's a handy site.
just put an old stocking over the end of the hose and block the vent hole going outside...
Costs nothing ...

Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Bad bad HOA! Bad bad realtors!

I read the Time article and then hopped onto the NC General Assembly website and promptly wrote an email to my state senator and representative asking that they support their colleague Suzanne Harvey on legislation that would make those clotheslines proscriptions unenforceable. I had no idea this was even being discussed in the legislature.
If the realtors lobby is against clotheslines, then build up your endurance and prepare for a fight. They're powerful and they are not our friends.

Clotheslines will make the housing market tank? LOL. It's already tanked in most of the country. Must be something besides clothes drying on the line that caused that, do you think?

Rep. Suzanne Harvey plans to introduce a bill in 2008 that would say hanging laundry outside cannot be fully prohibited. "We all have to do at least something to decrease our carbon footprint," Harvey says. "And once you start seeing your nice neighbors hanging clotheslines, that can take down stereotypes." WRITE TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVES. They need that kind of ammunition. We all SHOULD have a choice. And I agree with Rep. Harvey, we are not taking conservation seriously enough. We need to be way more responsible about being green (and way less snobby).

Old 12-06-2007, 08:10 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,795 times
Default Speaking as a grandmother

My underwear is small and pretty. I wouldn't like to dry it outside though.
Sheets are another story. Oh well.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:08 AM

282 posts, read 835,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
[SIZE=3]I read this and wonder what the problem with underwear is. I suspect most of the readers wear them at one time or the other, and are still able to sleep through he night. After all they are nothing but clothes. Some small and others LARGE. I think the HOA should allow the cloths lines and lobby to keep the tight leotards out of the Malls which may keep you awake at night. [/SIZE]
Agreed....My SpongeBob SquarePants boxers are HIGHLY decorative. I can't imagine why people object to them fluttering in the wind.........

All kidding aside though - They're a great idea if they can be tucked into the back a little (just so they're not "in your face"). I've never found them to be "value-depressing", although there are the occasional TMI moments (like - I didn't need to know that he/she wears THAT)....

Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 AM

715 posts, read 1,040,053 times
HOAs are a two-edged sword. My wife and I just moved from a golfcourse community in Florida. We had an HOA and hated the picky little rules (no clotheslines, no sailboat on trailer on the side of the house, no backyard fence since we backed up to the course). But one day the cable company dumped a 5' tall cable/HD cable box and modular slab in our frontyard, which btw was a zero lot line (40' x 105') lot. We hit the roof! Our HOA hassled the cable company so bad that the box was gone, and replaced with an in-ground vault within days. So there are two sides. I don't think the cable guys would've listened as hard, or as quickly to my wife and me squackin'. but it was obscene... even the guys who were sent by the bosses to place that box said it was ridiculous.

Mike G. (Durham, soon closing on house in rural Rougemont-- No HOA!!!!)

Old 12-20-2007, 08:35 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,693 times
Ultraviolet (UV-C) light that comes from the sun for free and at no cost to our environment just happens to be a germicide. It kills microorganisms, dust mites, bacteria and fungi. All for free with no side effects. In "light" of that information, I would especially like to hang my underwear on a clothesline....and everyone elses' too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary