Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 19,219 times

Advertisements

We're new to North Carolina, from New Jersey, and live in Wake Forest. Our son is 11 and has played in Little League for many years. Should we have him join the Wake Forest Recreation Little League or North Wake County Little League?

We're not sure which league would be better. We're used to a true Little League experience. Any thoughts, help, advice?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 04:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
The North Wake league is a competitive rec league but unless you're uber fortunate regarding the coach, it's just a competitive league. We've had our sons in City of Raleigh and North Wake and I truly came to hate North Wake. It's disproportionately expensive, the caliber of coaching is not better than the other leagues and they take themselves way too seriously.

However I would offer one caveat: If you believe your son has the potential to play at the High School level, if not beyond, it's the right choice for him. Because it takes itself so seriously the kids who thrive within its culture are generally held in slightly higher regard by area coaches. But if your son is of average ability or less, avoid it.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Anyone else concur with NYC2RDU?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 PM

116 posts, read 254,472 times
I agree with much of his opinion but it somewhat depends on what you are looking for. You pay more money but you get more "units" (practices and games) per week. And because the costs are higher to join and they play more you usually get more committed players playing so the overall quality is better. We don't live near there so we never really considered it but I see the kids at camps and clinics and they produce good players. I agree that the league and a lot of the parents can take themselves too seriously. Some of the kids probably think they are better than they are, other kids gain the confidence they need to make their middle school or high school team. The Rec league will be hit or miss regarding talent and coaching and we have had Rec league coaches who thought they belonged in leagues like North Wake so you never really know. A lot depends on your child and what he wants to get out of a baseball season.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,850 times
My oldest has been in North Wake for a couple of seasons now and we have had a great time with it. We have had good coaches and he has learned a lot. I have signed him up again for this year and am curious how it will go. My son is a hockey player who loves baseball in the off season. I am not sure how long it will be fun for him or if it is going to get above his level. He is really just average at baseball. It was fine last season and I hope it is fun again this year. He is just 9. Good luck with wherever you decide!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:20 AM

Thank you for the responses!

I had looked online for the price of registration and saw Cal Ripkin is $230 to register. Am I looking at the right place? Is Cal Ripkin the same as Little League, or is that a different league?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM

116 posts, read 254,472 times
There is no Little League baseball in NC that I know of. Leagues are either Cal Ripken or Pony as far as I know. Different rules than Little League, sometimes for the better sometimes not such as leading, stealing, pick offs, field dimensions. Doesn't matter because I don't think you will find a little league. As to the costs, leagues like North Wake and West Raleigh are much more expensive than the town rec leagues.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,752 times
We have played North Wake for 3 seasons and we love it! My son is 6, of average or slightly better skill for his age (at least in this league). My husband also coaches, and enjoys it. It can be serious, but I agree with previous posts as the league attracts more committed players. Especially at a young age, it's tough to find a serious league, without kids playing in the dirt My son is kind if a student of the game, so it's a good fit for him. We like the Factory fields too, they are well kept.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 PM

25 posts, read 33,013 times
Any chances of signing up late with any baseball leagues? We will be moving to Wake Forest next month and our son loves baseball and would want to join a team. He will be 12 June 2.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,735 times
North Wake Baseball (and Softball) false advertises when it comes to their recreational league. It could not be further from the truth as our experience has been nothing short of it being an all out competitive league. I thought that was what the North Wake travel team was for but were misled. I’ve had our kids out there a couple seasons now and have seen a lot of negatives:
1) Coaches show partiality and do not work to help all players grow and improve their game. On the teams we have been on they really don’t care for every kid even though they say they do.
2) Coaches "select" some parents to assist. The coaches and “selected” parents have the advantage of pushing their own kids into the best positions even when they are mediocre over others. This is a true story - one my children were on a team where the coaches' kid struck out every single game but they always ended up higher in the batting order than mine. If this is how you get your kid more reps and to play more infield, every parent should have the opportunity to be a “selected” helper.
3) Read the rules before paying the high priced registration fee. Coaches can sit your kid up to 3 innings and they do. In both seasons that we've played the coaches have their "starting" lineups. We have also seen a set of kids that never sat out an inning. When you sign up consider that you are paying for your kid to play for 50% of a game and for someone else's kid to play 100% of the game. I’ve also seen the coaches give the better kids more reps and attention in practices. They don’t care or realize that improving every player actually helps their overall chances of winning.
4) The coaches are serious, and there is nothing wrong with that, but they should be serious in such a way that fosters positive growth, and cares for all the kids. They penalize kids by sitting them on the bench rather than talk to them. They coach like it’s a high school but these kids are still in grade school.

I’m sorry to have to air this out, but it happens folks, and no one does anything about it. Unfortunately there is no oversight or transparency provided to the parents. A simple improvement for the league would be to ask the coaches to be more transparent about how they select their lineups (defense and batting order) so that kids and parents know what bar they need to hit. Also, be more up front about the fact that some kids will be sitting for multiple innings and others will play the whole game. Hiding that fact doesn't help anyone. It certainly isn't consistent with "recreational" play.

I’m curious to hear other parent’s experiences especially from those who’s kid is not the all-star that gets to play the entire game.

Our kids have come a long way since starting. We’re hoping they do not get too discouraged and lose interest in the game.

I will give one positive, they do try to balance out the skill of the teams and this is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary