Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 PM

354 posts, read 627,397 times

Advertisements

Well Since North Carolina is in The Top Ten Most Populous States looks like My Homestate is going in a strong & right direction My exact question to the residents of The Raleigh/Durham area well the entire Research Triangle Metropolitan Region what do you think the future holds for The State of North Carolina??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,725 times
For tonight...Wednesday February 12....absolutely nowhere! Snow/Ice and rain has things a bit at a standstill! Some may say stopped! How bad is it? Well the UNC-DUKE game was postponed! Talk about a crystal clear sign!

Now once the weather decides to vacate the Raleigh/Durham area things will go back to normal. The direction of Durham will still be Northwest of Raleigh so no changes planned there. We are pretty sure of that. I am not sure about being in the top 10 populous states but I can give you 10 future projections for Raleigh/Durham:

10. People will still move here from the North and Mid west. Why: Lower taxes.
9. They will continue to build new schools; elementary, middle, and High schools, Public and Charter. Why: See #1.
8. They will continue to build new homes, apartments, condo's. Why: See #1.
7. They will continue to create greenways for walkers and riders. Why: People like those.
6. They will reopen RDU terminal 1. Why: see #1.
5. They opened a Bass Pro Shop in Cary, NC. Why: Next question.
4. One of the best steak houses is located in a former Barn. Why: Meat is fresher.
3. Capital Boulevard ( Rt 1) may get more lanes in our life time. Why: Drive it from 8 - 10am south.
2. Rt. 540 may complete the ring around the capital city. Why: Toll revenue.
1. Former RBC now PNC to one day be the Acorn Arena. Why: Sometime ya feel like a nut!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,269 times
Everyone will move here from everywhere else, and so Charlotte and the triangle will spread to the point that they are one and the same

I think we will have too much sprawl, not enough roads, weak public transportation, schools will still not be able to keep up with growth - they've haven't since the 80's, i don't expect they'll ever figure it out. No longer will it be viable for someone to commute from the far reaches of Cary, Clayton, Raleigh to Durham or vice versa...there will simply be too many cars on the road to do a reasonable commute.And they'll keep taxing us in every creative way possible. When they start the TV and bedroom tax like the UK, I am out of here

Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 PM

well imma gon ahead and post The top ten most populous states

1.) California
2.) Texas
3.) New York
4.) Florida
5.) Illinois
6.) Pennsylvania
7.) Ohio
8.) Georgia
9.) Michigan
10.) North Carolina

Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 PM

Im sure the infastructure & transportation issue will get better just be patient from my outlook on The Triangle area I see alot of progress people for the past few years have been saying great things about the area such as the economy scenery and alot of other positive things I live in The Greenville Area So me personally I love Raleigh & Durham thats where i plan to be within the next five years

Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
well imma gon ahead and post The top ten most populous states

1.) California
2.) Texas
3.) New York
4.) Florida
5.) Illinois
6.) Pennsylvania
7.) Ohio
8.) Georgia
9.) Michigan
10.) North Carolina
#s 9 and 10 have likely switched places by now, even if official counts in that regard will not be released for some time to come. This is likely true if I am correct in assuming that the numbers of each year's estimates are based on July of each year.

As of (July?) 2013 estimates, Michigan had 9,895,622 people against a 2010 population of 9,883,640
As of (July?) 2013 estimates, N Carolina had 9,848,060 people against a 2010 population of 9,535,483

Michigan added 11,982 in three years
North Carolina added 312,577 in three years

in 2013, the delta between Michigan and NC was estimated to be 47,562
In three years, NC's growth has averaged over 100,000 a year while Michigan's averaged under 4,000. Given those trends, NC is likely now the 9th most populated state.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:43 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
These predictions are always guesses, but here goes.

Things always go in cycles. During the post war years when the US was at its peak, the agrarian South was growing more slowly relative to other parts of the country. The Cold War fueled a boom in Aerospace and technology which catapulted California population and economy to new heights. It's important to note though that there were a great many high paying professional jobs that fueled this boom. Meanwhile, the South was coping with poverty and civil rights.

North Carolina was smart to diversify itself with RTP, predicting the decline of small scale agriculture. But, nothing lasts forever. The two primary industries; health care and technology, have undergone lots of downsizing and consolidation in the past few years which means less opportunities and less of those service professions which feed off of the high salaries of those professional jobs. This healthcare consolidation has been driven by cutbacks in Medicare/aid which will likely continue.

People may still move here for lower taxes relative to the NE, but as population density increases higher taxes are needed to provide for the greater number of services needed. Real Estate costs will also be affected.

I am generally apolitical, however it appears McRory, like most politicians, is more concerned about making things look better on paper rather than improving the actual situation.

I think there is still some growth in NC's future, but it will be less dramatic than in the past and will eventually flat line unless job growth there turns around.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 AM

120 posts, read 248,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
#s 9 and 10 have likely switched places by now, even if official counts in that regard will not be released for some time to come. This is likely true if I am correct in assuming that the numbers of each year's estimates are based on July of each year.

As of (July?) 2013 estimates, Michigan had 9,895,622 people against a 2010 population of 9,883,640
As of (July?) 2013 estimates, N Carolina had 9,848,060 people against a 2010 population of 9,535,483

Michigan added 11,982 in three years
North Carolina added 312,577 in three years

in 2013, the delta between Michigan and NC was estimated to be 47,562
In three years, NC's growth has averaged over 100,000 a year while Michigan's averaged under 4,000. Given those trends, NC is likely now the 9th most populated state.
Pretty neat graphic that shows how quickly NC has caught up with Michigan. I think your projection of NC being larger than Michigan is probably right.

Comparison of the population of MI and NC (through 2012):
https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...l=en&ind=false

Old 02-13-2014, 07:47 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Everyone will move here from everywhere else, and so Charlotte and the triangle will spread to the point that they are one and the same

I think we will have too much sprawl, not enough roads, weak public transportation, schools will still not be able to keep up with growth - they've haven't since the 80's, i don't expect they'll ever figure it out. No longer will it be viable for someone to commute from the far reaches of Cary, Clayton, Raleigh to Durham or vice versa...there will simply be too many cars on the road to do a reasonable commute.And they'll keep taxing us in every creative way possible.
I think that you're right, and that the bottom line is a continually declining quality of life.

Moreover, I am especially concerned about the quality of development and new construction (for example, the stick-built trash now going up in Cameron Village -- tomorrow's slums for your inspection, today) and the relentless drive to turn downtown Raleigh into a high-density yuppie theme park rather than a city center that is sustainable over the long run.

Another good example of trash development is so-called "Glenwood South," which is already beginning to struggle for the patronage of late-night drinkers. How many bars does a town with a favorable future really need? Our parents gave us RTP; we give our children Glenwood South.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM

379 posts, read 517,661 times
Look at the mistakes in numbers; 1,3,4,5,6,7 & 9 and please do not repeat them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary